Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Angry H.R. 45 firearm registration bill

Aka, Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009”

My fellow inmates, it never seems to end does it? H.R. 45 has been created by Congressman Bobby Rush (D) Illinois, and reads something as follows:

To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes.

1/6/2009--Introduced.
Blair Holt’s Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 - Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to prohibit a person from possessing a firearm unless that person has been issued a firearm license under this Act or a state system certified under this Act and such license has not been invalidated or revoked. Prescribes license application, issuance, and renewal requirements. Prohibits transferring or receiving a qualifying firearm unless the recipient presents a valid firearms license, the license is verified, and the dealer records a tracking authorization number. Prescribes firearms transfer reporting and record keeping requirements. Directs the Attorney General to establish and maintain a federal record of sale system.
Prohibits:
(1) transferring a firearm to any person other than a licensee, unless the transfer is processed through a licensed dealer in accordance with national instant criminal background check system requirements, with exceptions; (I believe nowaday, most states, such as California et. al., require a person to go through a licensed dealer when selling a revolver, pistol, or rifle to another person. Is this not the current standard in your state?);
(2) a licensed manufacturer or dealer from failing to comply with reporting and record keeping requirements of this Act; (I believe manufacturers and dealers already have to comply as per their respective state DOJ and BATF. Why compound the issue?);
(3) failing to report the loss or theft of the firearm to the Attorney General within 72 hours; (Why? I’d probably file a claim with my insurance carrier though…);
(4) failing to report to the Attorney General an address change within 60 days; (Again, why?);
(5) keeping a loaded firearm, or an unloaded firearm and ammunition for the firearm, knowingly or recklessly disregarding the risk that a child is capable of gaining access, if a child uses the firearm and causes death or serious bodily injury. (I believe a number of sovereign states already have this paragraph covered); Prescribes criminal penalties for violations of firearms provisions covered by this Act.

Directs the Attorney General to:

(1) establish and maintain a firearm injury information clearinghouse; (Why? Doesn’t the FBI and BATF already have this covered?);

(2) conduct continuing studies and investigations of firearm-related deaths and injuries; (Again, why? Doesn’t the FBI and BATF already have this covered?); and

(3) collect and maintain current production and sales figures of each licensed manufacturer. (Why? Doesn’t the commerce department of each sovereign state usually perform this task, that we pay for?);

Authorizes the Attorney General to certify state firearm licensing or record of sale systems. (Why? That’s why each sovereign state has a DOJ and their own AG to oversee their own direction in this matter, without involvement from the Federal government);

What this basically equates to is a potentially universal NATIONAL FIREARMS REGISTRATION LAW funded by the burden of extra taxes that we do not need and will not accept.

We already have a successful system of background checks and registration in this country, and I feel we do not need a Federal system on top of the already existing state system currently in place. What say you?

BTW: If you're in disagreement with this bill, please feel free to contact your local Congressman or Senator to share your feelings