Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
WhoDeySchenk
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (2)
WhoDeySchenk has a spectacular aura aboutWhoDeySchenk has a spectacular aura about
Default On my deathbed??

At least that's how I've been feeling. I'm sick for the third time in 2 months. Finally decided to go to the Dr. Bronchitis....Prescribed me a 750mg antibiotic...took pill around 3:00...after a few hours I started feeling a bit weird. By 9:00 %*^$ hit the fan! I started getting disoriented, cold sweats, my hands and feet went completely numb. Obviously an allergic reaction to the meds. Called the emergency # for my Dr. No one called back, good thing that worked. Remembered my Uncle is a Pharmacist, I got a hold of him....he hates the medicine they put me on, has a lot of problems w/ it. He told me to drink lots of water and flush it out. By around 2:00am this morning I woke up covered in sweat, the sheets were soaked...that makes falling back asleep fun. Then after drinking so much water I proceeded piss every hour or so till my wife woke up at 5:00. I got up started getting ready for work, wife calls and MAKES me stay home. She's so smart! So today I've been lounging, got some new meds, sucks because now I've had to pay for both prescriptions, BLAH. Then the wife comes home, (we're watching her parents dog) a wild one he is, she opens the door to let our dogs out, BOOM, he bolts out the door. GONE! He's the fastest dog I've seen in my life. Now it's in the teens here in Cincy, snow all over the ground, and a dog that has no idea where he is running all over god knows where. I put on my coat (meanwhile still sick as hell) and begin on a journey. After about 20 minutes I see him a block or so away, just when I think I've cornered him....runs right by me. He's 2 block running down the middle of the street in rush hour traffic. My wife passed me in the car looking for him....after walking for 45 minutes I give up, and am hacking up a lung. About 15 minutes later she comes home.....DOG IN CAR. Seems she saw him, got out ran after him for a while, lost him. Got back in the car drove around, saw him again....he ran right up to the car, she opens the door and he jumps right in. I NEED A DRINK AND A CIGAR....no go with antibiotics and bronchitis.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: On my deathbed??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeySchenk View Post
At least that's how I've been feeling. I'm sick for the third time in 2 months. Finally decided to go to the Dr. Bronchitis....Prescribed me a 750mg antibiotic...took pill around 3:00...after a few hours I started feeling a bit weird. By 9:00 %*^$ hit the fan! I started getting disoriented, cold sweats, my hands and feet went completely numb. Obviously an allergic reaction to the meds. Called the emergency # for my Dr. No one called back, good thing that worked. Remembered my Uncle is a Pharmacist, I got a hold of him....he hates the medicine they put me on, has a lot of problems w/ it. He told me to drink lots of water and flush it out. By around 2:00am this morning I woke up covered in sweat, the sheets were soaked...that makes falling back asleep fun. Then after drinking so much water I proceeded piss every hour or so till my wife woke up at 5:00. I got up started getting ready for work, wife calls and MAKES me stay home. She's so smart! So today I've been lounging, got some new meds, sucks because now I've had to pay for both prescriptions, BLAH. Then the wife comes home, (we're watching her parents dog) a wild one he is, she opens the door to let our dogs out, BOOM, he bolts out the door. GONE! He's the fastest dog I've seen in my life. Now it's in the teens here in Cincy, snow all over the ground, and a dog that has no idea where he is running all over god knows where. I put on my coat (meanwhile still sick as hell) and begin on a journey. After about 20 minutes I see him a block or so away, just when I think I've cornered him....runs right by me. He's 2 block running down the middle of the street in rush hour traffic. My wife passed me in the car looking for him....after walking for 45 minutes I give up, and am hacking up a lung. About 15 minutes later she comes home.....DOG IN CAR. Seems she saw him, got out ran after him for a while, lost him. Got back in the car drove around, saw him again....he ran right up to the car, she opens the door and he jumps right in. I NEED A DRINK AND A CIGAR....no go with antibiotics and bronchitis.
I love dogs, but I believe I would have let him go. Hope you get to felling better soon and can enjoy a drink and a cigar.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

First Name: Josh
Trading: (20)
white_s2k is on a distinguished road

Hope you feel better!!!

Just curious, did the doctor prescribe Levaquin? The one you were allergic to?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
WhoDeySchenk
Adjusting to the Life

WhoDeySchenk has a spectacular aura aboutWhoDeySchenk has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_s2k View Post
Hope you feel better!!!

Just curious, did the doctor prescribe Levaquin? The one you were allergic to?
That's the one. So what have you heard?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
karmaz00
Habanos

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Partagas
karmaz00 is on a distinguished road

hope you feel better soon
Old 02-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

First Name: Josh
Trading: (20)
white_s2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's the one. So what have you heard?
I work in a pharmacy, so basically the same thing as your uncle. It really is the best antibiotic for bronchitis.. BUT if you are allergic to it the reactions are usually quite severe. Pretty difficult for doctors to know if patients are allergic to it too, because it is so new and there aren't many drugs in the same class. And I bet that copay wasn't cheap huh?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
Chompers

That sucks man!

Hope you feel better soon so that you can relax with a drink and a gar.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Get well soon, bro'! Sounds like you've had one heckuva couple days! Glad you got the pooch- he would not have been a hot dog tonight!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Get better soon bud. The weather is going to be in the 40's and 50's for the next week or so. Time to kill some cigars!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
WhoDeySchenk
Adjusting to the Life

THANKS for the best wishes. copay wasn't too bad $35 for 7 days....now 6 get flushed down the toilet. Oh Well.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #11
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
THANKS for the best wishes. copay wasn't too bad $35 for 7 days....now 6 get flushed down the toilet. Oh Well.
that's a GREAT copay actually, cash price runs around 170 or so (of course, I don't know what you pay for premiums, so maybe it's not )

honestly, antibiotic use for bronchitis somewhat controversial anyway, but I'm surprised they didn't try out a Zpak first as it has anti-inflammatory properties as well.

best wishes, hope you get better, that stuff is no fun
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
Cyclone

Sorry about your woes... but I'm in same boat... flu with alternating hot/cold sweats and now the cold has progressed into my lungs and I'm coughing up chunks...

Tuesday was the worst. It took me about 45 minutes to decide whether it worth the effort getting up to take a piss...

NO desire to have a cigar even though the local Boyz are having a herf tonight
Old 02-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #13
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Feel better Steve. I personally think a drink and a cigar is exactly what the Medic ordered.
MedicCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #14
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_s2k View Post
I work in a pharmacy, so basically the same thing as your uncle. It really is the best antibiotic for bronchitis.. BUT if you are allergic to it the reactions are usually quite severe. Pretty difficult for doctors to know if patients are allergic to it too, because it is so new and there aren't many drugs in the same class. And I bet that copay wasn't cheap huh?
First off, hope you feel better soon, Steve.

For me, Levaquin is the only antibiotic that will knock out severe bronchitis for me, and I have tried them all. Erythromycin is a placebo, penicillin is a sugar pill and the Zpak are worthless for me. It's too bad Steve had an allergy to the drug, because for me it is the only one that works.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:48 PM   #15
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

For me, Levaquin is the only antibiotic that will knock out severe bronchitis for me, and I have tried them all. Erythromycin is a placebo, penicillin is a sugar pill and the Zpak are worthless for me. It's too bad Steve had an allergy to the drug, because for me it is the only one that works.
this is proof, you aren't human
Old 02-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #16
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Guys,since I started taking this immune system balancing supplement,I honestly have not been sick.No chest things,no sinus thing...no nothing.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU36...l?n=4294967188
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:20 AM   #17
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
Guys,since I started taking this immune system balancing supplement,I honestly have not been sick.No chest things,no sinus thing...no nothing.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU36...l?n=4294967188
I agree with you, Dave! I take a shark liver oil supplement 2X/day and am rarely sick, now! Keep those supplements going!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #18
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

I'm with Greg and Dave, my supp is Orange Triad though.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:50 AM   #19
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

Levaquin is a total BAMF, as long as you're not allergic to it
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:55 AM   #20
Gargoyle
Got Coffee?

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (7)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
Gargoyle will become famous soon enough

I had bronchitis in late Dec through Early January (pretty much through the whole holiday season) and it knocked me on my rear for 2 solid weeks... plus another couple of weeks of slowly getting my strength back. I feel you pain!
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote