Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2009, 04:11 AM   #1
kzm007

Default For Sale: Numismatist grab bag/help with a coin?

I have just under a pound and a half of foreign/world coins, ranging in date from 1916 to the 200s.

These coins are in various states of cleanliness, from the older worn ones to the newer, shinier ones; I hesitate to say near mint because I am not a collector, but a half-pound of these coins are stated uncirculated.

I bought these off eBay for $20 shipped; my church wanted them for a global display of faith collage-type exhibit, and now we have no need for them. I am prepared to sell them for $15 shipped, unseen, which is how I bought them.

They're good for collecting, jewelry, crafts, almost anything where the beauty of the detail can be appreciated; a good cleaning may raise the worth of these greatly.

You'll get two small baggies of 1/4 pound each (from the listing):

One quarter (1/4) pound of uncirculated world coins, about 25-30 coins, from all over the world. All coins are uncirculated, they look like they just came off a mint press.
Europe, Americas and Africa seem to be about equally represented.
No American or Canadian pennies.

As well as "Deutsche Bundesbank bags recently imported from Germany."- Just under a full pound (1 lb.)

I say just under because there is ONE coin that I plan on keeping; it's a curious-looking piece with 'Stigma' printed on both sides, and something on the bottom I can't quite read yet. Thus, I am reducing the price to reflect me 'buying' this single coin.

Pictures are from the listings, I don't know if it's an accurate photo (doubt it) or a general idea of what you are getting (more than likely).

I know for certain there are few Soviet Union kopeks in here, an English (I think) penny from 1916 with a vessel on the obverse, and a 1932 centavo from Chile (maybe...or Brasil?), as well as an odd coin that says No Cash Value, and some newer ones from the Middle East (Qatar).

Please PM if interested or if there is a problem with this listing at all - I'm not sure if this would go here since it's non-tobacco related, or in the Pipe WTT since I'm asking for either money or tobacco as payment.

If you have any info on the Stigma coin, please let me know. I would prefer payment by cash (your risk) check or money order, but would also take Papal for 3.5% extra to cover the fee.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry that last one is so bad; all I have is a cell phone =/ coin is actually brighter, like the US Sacajawea dollars are, a bronze-y yellow with some age.

*I do not claim to know coins in any way; I am merely selling what I've bought from a seller on eBay. All information is correct to my knowledge, but should be taken as an amateur's best guess. I do not wish to mislead anyone by selling these coins, and buy considering a sale with me, you accept that. German coin bag not included.*
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0201090605.jpg (14.6 KB, 234 views)

Last edited by kzm007; 02-01-2009 at 04:21 AM. Reason: picture...and parentheses :)
Old 02-01-2009, 04:46 AM   #2
kzm007

Default Re: For Sale: Numismatist grab bag/help with a coi

How'd I this? I'm looking for $15 worth.

For payment, I will take cash at your risk, check, or money order, or Papal with .53 cents extra to cover the fee. I will also take pipe tobacco or a small sample of nasal snuff.

Sorry guys, it's early for me.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:57 AM   #3
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

You mention that a good cleaning could increase the value of these coins. I would recommend to never clean your coins. It will destroy the original luster.
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
kzm007

I've heard that, but I've heard cleaning also helps for display.

I'd suggest if you're investing for profit to maybe not clean, or do heavy research first.

If you are collecting merely for aesthetic, appealing display, cleaning can bring out the beauty of the craftsmanship.

I also want to clarify that you are buying 1.5 pounds, broken into two quarter pounds of uncirculated coins, and a pound of primarily older circulated ones. You get all three small baggies.

I was PMed, this sale may be pending.

Thanks - Kegan
Old 02-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr View Post
You mention that a good cleaning could increase the value of these coins. I would recommend to never clean your coins. It will destroy the original luster.
And destroy the value!
Old 02-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
kzm007

People, I don't know.

I've heard if you clean, you might get more money 'cause the coins look better for sale.

I've heard not to clean because it does hurt the value, and the coin sellers tell people this so they clean at the shop and pocket the value difference.

I've heard cleaning for display purposes is OK.

I went here to see how: http://metaldetectingworld.com/clean...ion_coin.shtml

Otherwise, I'm just a guy selling coins that's all. I know it's a tricky business - fascinating, yes, but you gotta be careful it's true.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

Cleaning coins yourself is a very bad idea and will hurt the value of your coins. Professional coin grading services can tell which coins have been cleaned and refuse to grade these specimens.

Extremely valuable coins in need of restoration can be professionally conserved, but this frequently removes the patina and still can negatively effect the value of the coins. The best advice, is to get them inside of a holder in the condition they are in and never touch them.

As for me, I like American coins, so sorry OP, but someone might make out pretty well with this deal.

Many of the methods suggested in that website are extremely poor idea's. If you find a potentially valuable coin while metal detecting, get it appraised before touching it.
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
kzm007

Sounds legit. Rep for you sir, thank you!
Old 02-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
And destroy the value!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footbag View Post
Cleaning coins yourself is a very bad idea and will hurt the value of your coins. Professional coin grading services can tell which coins have been cleaned and refuse to grade these specimens.

Extremely valuable coins in need of restoration can be professionally conserved, but this frequently removes the patina and still can negatively effect the value of the coins. The best advice, is to get them inside of a holder in the condition they are in and never touch them.

As for me, I like American coins, so sorry OP, but someone might make out pretty well with this deal.

Many of the methods suggested in that website are extremely poor idea's. If you find a potentially valuable coin while metal detecting, get it appraised before touching it.
Cleaning coins is extremely frowned upon by collectors.

Leave them in their original state and put them in either sleeves or holders to avoid any more damage.

Some less than savory dealers will do it, but cleaned coins are problematic and can never be graded or will be noted as having been cleaned before.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
kzm007

I'm not touching anything unless I plan to use it for jewelry or decoration, if then. Thanks for the input.