Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
the jiggler
¡taste my pirate paddy!

First Name: Craig
Trading: (24)
the jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura about
Default Viaje Super Shot 12 Gauge - meh?

A local B/M said they were selling like hotcakes so I picked one up last week. It was ok. Fit and finish were great. Flavor was pretty one dimensional. A buddy of mine smoked one the next night and he gave it a two out of five. Anybody else try one? I'd like to pick up a couple more and sit on them for a while. Just wanted to see if anybody else had the same reaction. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

First Name: Mark
Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Viaje Super Shot 12 Gauge - meh?

No, I didn't have that reaction at all. Although there was not a shift or change of flavors, the copious amount of smoke that this little guy put out was very powerful, almost violent, with a peppery spiciness that hit me from the first puff to the last. In my opinion, it gives me the fullness of flavor and body that I want in a smaller size that gets me high, but doesn't get me nic sick.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I torched one this past week and enjoyed it. One dimensional, but it was a little stick. If it had been a churchill...not so much!! Glad I grabbed a 5er.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Smoked one yesterday and liked it. Found it to be strong with some pepper and very little change from start to finish. Did not burn that well and needed to be touched up at the start to get it to burn evenly. Had to relight it twice and smoked down to the nub. Bought a couple to stick in the humidor for later.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
the jiggler
¡taste my pirate paddy!

First Name: Craig
Trading: (24)
the jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for weighing in. It was the second or third stick of the night and I had imbibed a bit. Maybe I wasnt the best frame of mind for evaluation. I'll pick another two up and sit on them for a little while.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

I thought it was good but not amazing, expensive little bastard too.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Think I'll Pass On Them After Reading These .
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
Hem
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bill
Trading: (13)
Partagas
Hem will become famous soon enough

I've got one waiting at home, can't wait to fire her up! I love a short smoke....when there isn't time for a long one that is! lol
Hem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I had one last weekend thanks to Dan (Elderboy02) It was ok, It was strong and no nic bizz like someone else said, but I wasn't overly impressed by any means. I would like to pick up a fiver and let them rest a few months before making a complete judgement.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
thecatch83

I don't think I've ever smoked a Viaje ROTT, or even a couple weeks removed from the cooler and been blown away. I remember smoking a Skull & Bones ROTT and it didn't even burn and required 20 touch ups! Revisit these in 6 months, and I think the flavor profile might change a bit and the strength will mellow out.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
Hem
Feeling at Home

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch83 View Post
I don't think I've ever smoked a Viaje ROTT, or even a couple weeks removed from the cooler and been blown away. I remember smoking a Skull & Bones ROTT and it didn't even burn and required 20 touch ups! Revisit these in 6 months, and I think the flavor profile might change a bit and the strength will mellow out.
Sounds good. Guess I will have to let the batch of Viaje's I just got in sit for a bit...at least they'll look nice in the humi
Old 03-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

8 bucks for a 3 inch one-dimensional turd? I sure hope Tom will do a box split with me!!!
Old 03-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #13
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

12 bucks in Hawaii, I felt pretty stupid about 10 minutes into it.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:38 AM   #14
thecatch83

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
8 bucks for a 3 inch one-dimensional turd? I sure hope Tom will do a box split with me!!!
Yet another reason I haven't fallen susceptible to the LE craze that is destroying the industry.....since when did producing quality smokes in regular packaging fall out of grace?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:30 AM   #15
Hem
Feeling at Home

Partagas

Excuse me sir but my one-dimensional turd only cost $6.

To each their own, I hope I enjoy mine. I wish they WOULD make some of these cigars regular production..here's to hoping.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #16
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

I paid $6 and it was buy one get the second at half price.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #17
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hem View Post
Excuse me sir but my one-dimensional turd only cost $6.

To each their own, I hope I enjoy mine. I wish they WOULD make some of these cigars regular production..here's to hoping.
Mine only cost $6, too.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch83 View Post
Yet another reason I haven't fallen susceptible to the LE craze that is destroying the industry.....since when did producing quality smokes in regular packaging fall out of grace?
EXACTLY! At what point did marketing cigars in a cardboard box to look like ammunition (or dynamite in wooden crates, etc) rushing them out wet, and calling it an LE, was needed to sell cigars?

I hate to sound like that, and I absolutely love all things Viaje, but I temper my expectations when it comes to these LEs. I also let them sit for months before lighting them up.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #19
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Best stick out of the Viaje camp in a while in my opinion. I'm guessing you bought it from Outland since it's the only Viaje retailer in Charlotte and they were moving quick. I thought it was a good little powerhouse smoke and yes it was very one dimensional. Most sticks of that size built for power tend to be. I have yet to smoke the 10 gauge but did score a couple and initial reports are those ares smoking just as good. In the last year I have been very choosy on what Viaje product I buy as most of it has been very green in my opinion and I waited to hear feedback on these before dropping any coin on them. I passed on the Skull and Bones just like I have the last 2 or 3 releases.

Last edited by neoflex; 03-18-2012 at 07:59 PM.
neoflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #20
tengel78

I enjoyed this one as well. Like most others said, it is one dimensional, but I still enjoyed it. I have a few more resting that I will try again in a couple months.