Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice
Default Gurkha Beast

This cigar has an appearance that would make many cigars proud dark oily looking wrapper, even appearance with no visible seams in the wrapper. Firm feel but not hard like some others I have had. This is where things started getting worse.

This is the third beast I have smoked hoping for the results to be different. When cutting it the wrapper above the band started to peel off. I have used 3 different cutters hoping again it was just me or God forbid my xikar cutter.

After repairing the wrapper to the point I would be able to smoke it and it started in what I have come to expect from Gurkha. Smooth even draw and rich thick smoke. The flavors were earthy and calm a hint of cedar, leather, and earth (like the smell just before it rains). These came together in a subtle and enjoyable manner not overpowering at all.

The middle third the oils from the tobacco itself started to become richer and gave the taste I associate with un-smoked cigars when I open my humi. The ash was long evenly white and seemed to be stable, at least till I decided I didn't want to chance wearing it in the car.

The finish showed very little change in the flavors and lent itself to finishing with my diet coke well. More disappointment in the wrapper at this stage as the wrapper simply started cracking everywhere making the draw uneven and eventually causing me to throw out most of the last third. The wrapper at this point resembled a light brown celophane rather than what I thought to be a light maduro wrapper.

All in all I give the flavor a rating of 88 but the overall due to the wrapper issues a 78 good flavor but largely disappointing when I have to throw out the last third which I typically find to be the strongest and best tasting part of the cigar.

Last edited by dijit; 02-15-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: add picture
dijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
fencefixer will become famous soon enoughfencefixer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Gurkha Beast

Gurkhas are a lot like prostitutes.. most of the time they're falling apart, they're cheap but sometimes you get one that serves your mouth really well.
fencefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Gurkha Beast

Nice review Mike, I received one of these in the CI C.O.M for Jan...still resting.

Too funny DC.