Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
wlai

Default Interesting: Contrasting two cigars side by side

Saw this blog post: http://www.stogieguys.com/2011/09/09...s-at-once.html, in which the author suggests that you smoke two similar cigars side by side to really reach into the difference in profiles and improve your palate.

I think that's a great idea for a newbie like myself. My question is: Do you have any recommendation for a paring that may be interesting, and more importantly, inexpensive? I don't want to waste a smoke since I probably won't be relaxing and enjoying them, as much as analyzing them.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlai View Post
Saw this blog post: http://www.stogieguys.com/2011/09/09...s-at-once.html, in which the author suggests that you smoke two similar cigars side by side to really reach into the difference in profiles and improve your palate.

I think that's a great idea for a newbie like myself. My question is: Do you have any recommendation for a paring that may be interesting, and more importantly, inexpensive? I don't want to waste a smoke since I probably won't be relaxing and enjoying them, as much as analyzing them.
Based on yor last sentence, if you won't be relaxing and enjoying them, why bother?
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Interesting: Contrasting two cigars side by side

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
why bother?
To educate oneself for the benefit of future relaxation and enjoyment.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
wlai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
To educate oneself for the benefit of future relaxation and enjoyment.
I'm a firm believer of no pain no gain! But seriously, it's not like it'll be painful, just it won't be the same as if I have a cigar in hand, drink in another, and just stare into sunset kind of enjoyment.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
pnoon
YNWA

RA

You missed my point. If he doesn't want to "waste a smoke" because he won't enjoy them, it seems to me to be not be worth the effort. Besides, IMO, new smokers would get more out of just sampling different cigars to broaden their experience instead of trying to over analyze ad over think the process. Once a foundation has been laid, then maybe some analysis would pay dividends.

If the OP anticipates enjoyment from the analysis, that is a different story. But I didn't get that from his post.
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
If he doesn't want to "waste a smoke" because he won't enjoy them, it seems to me to be not be worth the effort.
Fair enough.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:

I know what helped me the most when I started smoking was buying a bunch of singles or fivers of all kinds of smokes. Once I found one with a hint of coffee I knew what I was looking for. Also an unsweetened cocoa is a flavor I enjoy. I never even knew I could find these in a cigar until it happened. I did find alot of other smokes I enjoy as well, but I haven't met to many maduros I didn't like. It is different for everybody so try them all.
Like what Pnoon said it may be some what of a waste to burn two cigars side by side, and being a new smoker I couldn't handle that much nico
Keep us posted if you try this technique you posted about. Welcome to the site! Sounds like it could be fun to try with two small cigars maybe, but I worry about mixing aromas, and aftertastes. Those are also parts of a cigar I pay attention to.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
You missed my point. If he doesn't want to "waste a smoke" because he won't enjoy them, it seems to me to be not be worth the effort. Besides, IMO, new smokers would get more out of just sampling different cigars to broaden their experience instead of trying to over analyze ad over think the process. Once a foundation has been laid, then maybe some analysis would pay dividends.

If the OP anticipates enjoyment from the analysis, that is a different story. But I didn't get that from his post.
Posted via Mobile Device
Peter is wise

Quote:
I know what helped me the most when I started smoking was buying a bunch of singles or fivers of all kinds of smokes. Once I found one with a hint of coffee I knew what I was looking for. Also an unsweetened cocoa is a flavor I enjoy. I never even knew I could find these in a cigar until it happened. I did find alot of other smokes I enjoy as well, but I haven't met to many maduros I didn't like. It is different for everybody so try them all.
Like what Pnoon said it may be some what of a waste to burn two cigars side by side, and being a new smoker I couldn't handle that much nico
Keep us posted if you try this technique you posted about. Welcome to the site! Sounds like it could be fun to try with two small cigars maybe, but I worry about mixing aromas, and aftertastes. Those are also parts of a cigar I pay attention to.
As is Shane
Old 09-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation

I've posted a thread before on smoking 2 cigars simultaneously. Most inexpensive way to do that is to smoke a primary cigar and, as the contrast cigar, pick up a box of clubs or minis (not flavored ones or anything) and puff on that when you start finding it more difficult to pick out specific flavors.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
wlai

I do actually enjoy the analysis, as it turns out. I'm interested in developing my palate, and I am tasting a lot of singles from samplers, but the subtleties of one vs. another is kinda lost on me. When you can't actually pin point what this or that spice is other than just being spicy, and not being able to put words to describe it, they tend to run together in my memory.

I've seen the favor wheel(s), and they are somewhat helpful. But I still don't know what "nutty" on any of those wheels mean. Heck I have a mouthful of nuts as I type this, and I see no resemblance to my smokes. I think being able to contrast immediately the subtle difference seems like as viable a strategy as any, Pnoon do you disagree?
Old 09-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I do actually enjoy the analysis, as it turns out. I'm interested in developing my palate, and I am tasting a lot of singles from samplers, but the subtleties of one vs. another is kinda lost on me. When you can't actually pin point what this or that spice is other than just being spicy, and not being able to put words to describe it, they tend to run together in my memory.

I've seen the favor wheel(s), and they are somewhat helpful. But I still don't know what "nutty" on any of those wheels mean. Heck I have a mouthful of nuts as I type this, and I see no resemblance to my smokes. I think being able to contrast immediately the subtle difference seems like as viable a strategy as any, Pnoon do you disagree?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #12
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:

Yes, I do.

Trying to discern subtle differences before you have experienced and can differentiate the general differences seems to put the cart before the horse.

To put it another way, I am grateful that I did not taste high end/rare cigars early on in my cigar journey. I would not have been able to appreciate the complexity and nuances some of those cigars have to offer. I can certainly appreciate them now.

Just my opinion/perspective.
Like many others here, I will tell you THE most important thing is to enjoy the hobby/obsession. Everything else is secondary.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #13
wlai

Quote:
Yes, I do.

Trying to discern subtle differences before you have experienced and can differentiate the general differences seems to put the cart before the horse.

To put it another way, I am grateful that I did not taste high end/rare cigars early on in my cigar journey. I would not have been able to appreciate the complexity and nuances some of those cigars have to offer. I can certainly appreciate them now.

Just my opinion/perspective.
Like many others here, I will tell you THE most important thing is to enjoy the hobby/obsession. Everything else is secondary.
Thanks for your perspective. I certainly aren't going to stop enjoying this new hobby of mine, that much I can assure you!
Old 09-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
Sherlockholms

Very Nice article William, But I think I would be toast at the end of two cigars! One tends to kick my but if I'm not careful, Two would be a challenge.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #15
vinnydisilvio

Quote:

i can definitely respect that you'd want to try this. since the article was posted on a relatively well-known site, there's some credibility to this method. granted, what works for one won't necessarily work for another but for the most part it can't hurt to try it once. if you find it doesn't work for you it's something you just put behind you. plus, the recommendation from the article is not to do it a lot but only occasionally.

it's hard to recommend something without knowing what you already like to smoke, but if i was personally doing this, i might go with a Rocky Patel Decade and a Rocky Patel Fifteenth Anniversary, both torpedoes. or maybe a Don Tomas Clasico robusto and a Perdomo Grand Cru robusto.

hope you get a chance to try this and it works for you! it's hard to get a hang of tasting the nuances of cigars. sometimes it takes years. please report back with your findings if you try it!