Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-11-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
nexprofit

Lightbulb Same Cigar, Different Experience

First of all, i am a noob that hasnt been smoking cigars for more than a year yet. I got my first noob trade a couple of weeks ago, and thanks to Chainsaw (Bob), i got some amazing sticks. I smoked a Fuente Short Story, and i was so impressed, that i named it my new 2nd favorite cigar. I went to the local shop, bought a couple from there, and they tasted nothing like the one that Chainsaw sent me.... SO.... does this mean that
1. All cigars, whether they are the same cigar or not, are going to taste different.
2. My experience will be different because of a change in my taste.
3. Chainsaw laced the cigar with rainbows and to make that specific cigar taste better.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Same Cigar, Different Experience

I'm going with option #3
Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Could be age.

Could be storage conditions.

Could be you. Sometimes when you first try something it's so great, then the rest aren't as good. This happened to me with CoLas. But they still are damn tasty
Old 08-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Could be age.

Could be you. Sometimes when you first try something it's so great, then the rest aren't as good. This happened to me with CoLas. But they still are damn tasty
Bingo.
To expand on Bill's third point, one's frame of mind and food/beverage accompaniment can also effect the experience.

Finally, it could have just been a bad stick.

Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Could be age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Bingo.
To expand on Bill's third point, one's frame of mind and food/beverage accompaniment can also effect the experience.

Finally, it could have just been a bad stick.

Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with both Peter and bill

What I try to do when i find a cigar that I like is I try and and pick up a few more and put one down to rest for about 6 months or longer. I'll also smoke one with say maybe a nice hot cup of coffee and another with a soda or drink.

I play around until I find a combo that works for me. Also come six months or longer when I smoke the one or two I put down I also take into account if the rest improved the smoke to me.

I personally think thats the best part of this hobby / addiction / lifestyle.

Always remember always try and give a cigar a chance or 2 before you write it off.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

i would blame it on storage condition or add it to the list. many and most shops ive walked into store their flavor infused cigars in with the rest. These infused cigars will change the taste of everything else in the humidor. Atleast from what i am told.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexprofit View Post
First of all, i am a noob that hasnt been smoking cigars for more than a year yet. I got my first noob trade a couple of weeks ago, and thanks to Chainsaw (Bob), i got some amazing sticks. I smoked a Fuente Short Story, and i was so impressed, that i named it my new 2nd favorite cigar. I went to the local shop, bought a couple from there, and they tasted nothing like the one that Chainsaw sent me.... SO.... does this mean that
1. All cigars, whether they are the same cigar or not, are going to taste different.
2. My experience will be different because of a change in my taste.
3. Chainsaw laced the cigar with rainbows and to make that specific cigar taste better.
I would imagine the cigar age and storage condition would be the primary issues here, like everybody else said already.

What is your #1 cigar?
Old 08-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
Killian
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Cassidy
Trading: (0)
Killian is on a distinguished road

Definitely a change in your taste. Short stories are no good. You better box all of them up and send them to me for immediate disposal.

All kidding aside.....give them some time, come back and enjoy them later.
Killian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanmc View Post
i would blame it on storage condition or add it to the list. many and most shops ive walked into store their flavor infused cigars in with the rest. These infused cigars will change the taste of everything else in the humidor. Atleast from what i am told.
The word is that you CAN store Acids with regulars if you have a walk in of a certain size.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

had a cigar out of a walk-in the size of an office. it was a gurka black dragon(i was still very much a newb). it tasted sugary and creamy. the owner had the entire acid line in the humidor.

you very well could be right and id assume its the case. but im thinking it would be a very large walk-in

Last edited by Devanmc; 08-11-2011 at 08:17 AM. Reason: added info.
Devanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
had a cigar out of a walk-in the size of an office. it was a gurka black dragon(i was still very much a newb). it tasted sugary and creamy. the owner had the entire acid line in the humidor.

you very well could be right and id assume its the case. but im thinking it would be a very large walk-in
So we should add you to the Gurkha list?

Gurkha infused cigars coming soon, MSRP $97.00 each but I will sell them to you for $3.00 each, cause I like you.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #12
nexprofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez View Post
I agree with both Peter and bill

What I try to do when i find a cigar that I like is I try and and pick up a few more and put one down to rest for about 6 months or longer. I'll also smoke one with say maybe a nice hot cup of coffee and another with a soda or drink.

I play around until I find a combo that works for me. Also come six months or longer when I smoke the one or two I put down I also take into account if the rest improved the smoke to me.

I personally think thats the best part of this hobby / addiction / lifestyle.

Always remember always try and give a cigar a chance or 2 before you write it off.
Ill do that, im gonna lay them to rest, chainsaw must have had a little sleeping bag and pillow for the one he sent, because god dang it was amazing.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #13
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
So we should add you to the Gurkha list?
no i had one from a different shop shortly after and pitched it like 5 puffs in. never again
Old 08-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #14
Drez
The Warden

Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Why acids and other infused sticks can impact the taste of other cigars I believe that a walk in at a b&m won't offer the conditions needed to allow that flavor exchange. Remember the door opening and closing offers a big air exchange within the humidor on top ofthe fact that alot of boxes that are being stored there are sealed and offer very little air exchange. The open boxes take a lot of real estate and I don't think a few open boxes of acids and other infused sticks offer enough of the "smell" to be let out and absorbed by the other cigars.

To my understanding too is that it will take a good amount of time for the cigars to "marry" flavors and if the b&m is fairly busy the stock should move well before that will happen.

Just my

Old 08-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #15
nexprofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
I would imagine the cigar age and storage condition would be the primary issues here, like everybody else said already.

What is your #1 cigar?
#1 is the La Flor Dominicana, Factory Press III. if you can find them, get em. theyre on auction today. theyre limited so whats left is slim pickins
Old 08-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #16
nexprofit

Quote:

Ive been looking for a damn Black Dragon!
Its on my List of $h!t to smoke
Old 08-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #17
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez View Post
Why acids and other infused sticks can impact the taste of other cigars I believe that a walk in at a b&m won't offer the conditions needed to allow that flavor exchange. Remember the door opening and closing offers a big air exchange within the humidor on top ofthe fact that alot of boxes that are being stored there are sealed and offer very little air exchange. The open boxes take a lot of real estate and I don't think a few open boxes of acids and other infused sticks offer enough of the "smell" to be let out and absorbed by the other cigars.

To my understanding too is that it will take a good amount of time for the cigars to "marry" flavors and if the b&m is fairly busy the stock should move well before that will happen.

Just my

sounds fair enough to me.

yeah this place was uuhhh interesting and very very hard to explain. no boxes just singles(thousands of them, maybe 300 different styles from your various brands) and the "humidification" was this mist sprayer in the ceiling. rooms was the size of a medium sized office. I thought alabama felt humid then i walked into their humidor.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #18
Drez
The Warden

Quote:
sounds fair enough to me.

yeah this place was uuhhh interesting and very very hard to explain. no boxes just singles and the "humidification" was this mist sprayer in the ceiling. I thought alabama felt humid then i walked into their humidor.

Yea I really think it depends on the b&m. Hell I've smoked cigars from boxes right next to the complete acid line and had zero flavor issues.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #19
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)

yeah these were across the room and you could taste it.

good to know its not a big issue
Old 08-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #20
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

I'm sure Storage conditions & aging & the key factor...