Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-27-2011, 03:21 AM   #1
DB17210

Default Seasoning my new humidor

Hello all I am a new member from Miami, and am looking forward to spending more time on this forum.
My first question for all of you is regarding getting my new humidor ready for use. I opted for a Cuban Crafters model. Since I am in Miami I was able to go to the store, see it in person, and check the seal. Although I am new to this all, I had a friend with me who has a humidor and he agreed it looked good.

http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/2891

After getting it home I did the following:
1. Wipe it down with a DRY paper towel to get any dust out
2. Salt Test Calibrate the hygrometer (analog) to 75%
3. Placed a shot glass filled with distilled water, and 1 Boveda seasoning pack in the humidor.
4. Bought a Madelaine Digital Hygrometer, calibrated it, and put it in the humidor for comparison
5. Closed it up w/the shelf and dividers in there too. Left it for 3 days
6. By the 4th day the humidity level stabilized and remained at 77%
7. Removed Boveda Pack and Shot Glass of distilled water, and replaced it with the charged humidifier unit that came withe with my humidor (filled with distilled water, poured excess out, shook it, let it sit face down on paper towel to make sure all excess water really out, and then put about 6 drops of 50/50 PG)
8. I am now on day 5, and the RH level is still holding steady at 77%. I figured it would drop closer to 70%. There are still no cigars in it, as I wanted to get a consistant RH level.

I plan to leave it alone for another day while I am at work, and then re-check the levels. If it is still high what do I do? Will this lower, and stabilize on it own when I start putting cigars in? Did I do something wrong? I also bought some 72% Boveda Packs. Should I use those instead of the humidifier unit? I have read that the ones included with the box are worth replacing. Should I buy a crystal unit like the Xikar?

Sorry for the long winded 1st post, but I could use some advise and am eager to get my humidor up and running (I know some things can't be rushed).

Thanks DB
Old 07-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Seasoning my new humidor

It can take a little time for your RH to drop after seasoning -- just give it some time (a few more days). This will also be a good test of how well your humidor holds humidity (seals).

72% seems a little high but it is all about personal preference. Most people here on CA seem to prefer a little lower RH. I have my non-cuban cigars at 65-68% and I have my CC's at 62-63%. That's my preference. Take your time to figure out what you like. There is no wrong answer.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I would recommend replacing the factory humidifiers like you mentioned. I know mine started to grow mold spores while only using distilled water after about 3 weeks. I use the gel cups now but most people say to use the beads. I will upgrade to the beads soon. I purchased a digital hygrometer from Walmart that gives me a high/low humidity & temp range. That is nice to see how much things fluctuate.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

Look on the bright side, seems the humidor holds humidity well. To lower the humidity, you need to let the water out of the box, so to speak: open the lid. Try overnight and then close it and see where the RH moves to by leaving it closed for many hours. Repeat until it gets to "about" 70 %. If it goes too low, add a few drops of 50/50 to the humidifier. I would suggest 60 or 65% beads as the way to go. Nice looking box.