Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough
Default Suggestions for Key West

Planning on taking my wife to Key West for her birthday in Oct. Looking for some suggestions on places to stay. Kinda looking for a bread and breakfast type place, close to Duvall St. Someone at work suggested Key West Harbor Inn. Any ideas ?
Old 02-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Suggestions for Key West

I dunno about accomodations, but I know you better stop in and see Bill (MaduroFan) at Island Smoke Shoppe!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

We stayed here in November, and was very satisfied.

http://www.historickeywestinns.com/t...hthouse-court/

One block south of Duvall, half a block from Hemingway's place. Price was $119 for queen bed room, but when I hesitated, they immediately offered an upgrade to a King bed room at same price. Includes breakfast on pool cabana, and includes earplugs. You can easily walk to all the waterfront areas from here. Be aware that there is limited off-street parking, so, if you can get a space, plan on parking it and leaving it!

Enjoy!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

Joe, I have been there many times. Do you want near the hustle and bustle or are you looking for something quiet?

Also when in October? The last week in Key Wesy is Fantasy Fest and that is just something else!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
justonemorestick
Kat Krap Kontanment Media

First Name: Warren
Trading: (13)
justonemorestick is on a distinguished road

I would reccomend trying fantasy fest if you are in the party types otherwise you will save a lot of money by avoiding it.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
joeobx

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricF View Post
Joe, I have been there many times. Do you want near the hustle and bustle or are you looking for something quiet?

Also when in October? The last week in Key Wesy is Fantasy Fest and that is just something else!!!!!!
Want to be close to everything. Will be there last week of Sept. into first week of Oct.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeobx View Post
Want to be close to everything. Will be there last week of Sept. into first week of Oct.
You will miss the madness of Fantasy Fest that way! I will look at some stuff I have and post some nice B&B's for you to look at.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I dunno about accomodations, but I know you better stop in and see Bill (MaduroFan) at Island Smoke Shoppe!
If you are driving through, definitely stop in Key Largo to this smoke shop!! Got married in Key Largo in Aug and honeymooned in Key West. That shop is AWESOME!!!!
We stayed at Southern Most Hotel. We stayed at the one across the street from the beach and got a suite for the same price as a regular room with a ocean view. It's right on Duval St, we rented bikes for something like $50 for the week and just road them around. it's only like a mile from one end to the other and it's flat. If I remember correctly the highest point on the island is something like 18ft.

here's some of the thread links of suggestions from when I asked the same questions:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30354
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33938

And one thing that you have to go on if you like wine is the Sunset Schooner sail/wine tasting. I will look for the ship name, but it's all you can drink and at the same price as the "booze cruise" that doesn't actually sail and is very loud and I think that you have to buy your drinks (but don't quote me on that.
And a great place to eat is Louie's Back Yard. High class dining that you'll pay for but definitely worth the high price!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0869.jpg (115.1 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by chachee52; 02-15-2011 at 06:34 PM.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Hopefully this doesn't come across the wrong way, but with B&B's in Key West, you may want to check on the heterosexual factor before putting down a deposit.

I say this because of the concentration of gay B&B's in Key West, and a drunken night that found me and a few friends bar hopping and stumbling into a wet boxer short contest at the La Tea Da Tea Room before a rapid exit.

Again, nothing wrong with an individual's preferences, it's just something to consider.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
Wanger

I remember the food we had when we were down there. A couple Cuban joints that had GREAT food...El Siboney and El Mason de Pepe. El Mason was my favorite. REALLY flavorful food there. And they have a cigar shop attached that you can watch the rollers. Didn't care much for the product/prices, though. I remember that the house sticks at Key West Havana Cigars were pretty good. I don't know if they're still there, as it was about 5 years ago that we went, however.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
joeobx

Quote:
I say this because of the concentration of gay B&B's in Key West, and a drunken night that found me and a few friends bar hopping and stumbling into a wet boxer short contest at the La Tea Da Tea Room before a rapid exit
What? you didn't enter the contest ?

Hell I don't care about their persuasion as long as the place is nice and the service is on par with the price.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #12
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
I remember the food we had when we were down there. A couple Cuban joints that had GREAT food...El Siboney and El Mason de Pepe. El Mason was my favorite. REALLY flavorful food there. And they have a cigar shop attached that you can watch the rollers. Didn't care much for the product/prices, though. I remember that the house sticks at Key West Havana Cigars were pretty good. I don't know if they're still there, as it was about 5 years ago that we went, however.
That was another great place to eat too. Right down on Malory Square. Just make sure you don't go if yo uare trying to do a lot that night. Good food, but true Cuban hospitality...... sit back, relax, eat, realax.