Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have you noticed cigars widening your appreciation for other things?

Since I've become heavily involved in cigars, I've noticed my appreciation and attention to other things has grown appreciably.
Bear with me, and I'll try to explain what I mean. I want to know if you guys have seen a similar effect.

Since I've become seriously involved in cigars, analyzing them, paying excruciating attention to the details and nuances, it's spilled over to a lot of other parts of my life. I pay far more attention to food, for instance. Lisa and I eat out a lot. We like lots of odd stuff and try all kinds of different things all the time. I find myself "picking apart" my food, figuring out what is in the dishes, paying attention to all the hidden flavors, and discussing them with Lisa.
I put all those small "reviews" in my brain, and use them later to pick out things we might like from menus. That helps us to try more interesting things, based on our personal profile we've built. I do it very much, if not exactly, the way I choose cigars.

Another place I do it is in selecting wines. I don't drink at all, but Lisa really enjoys wine. I do about 90% of the wine buying, and I read everything. By asking Lisa questions and talking to all the girls in her family, I've been able to figure out where her "profile" is, and I can drag home odd stuff that her and the girls would not likely try, although I'm very safe in knowing they'll enjoy it.

The reason I'm mentioning this is that I hadn't ever even thought about this spill-over effect until a few days ago. On a certain level, I didn't know I was doing it, or that I had learned this new level of appreciation for simple things via my cigar fascination. It's very much enhanced my pleasure and appreciation for SO many things I'd have rushed past.
By allowing cigars to teach me how to slow down, relax, and smell the roses, a whole new layer of life and the world has been opened up to me. It's a new level of "understanding things" that I didn't know existed. I sure wasn't looking for it, it just arrived via this hobby as a bonus gift.

I was wondering if you guys have noticed this same "phenomenon", for lack of a better word. Maybe you already possessed this level of discernment and carried it into the cigar hobby, or maybe this hobby helped refine your discernment in other facets of your life?
I ask because I've found great joy in all of this, and hoped maybe you all can turn my nose in the right direction that I might open my eyes to even more of life's joy without having to accidentally bump my head on it like I normally do.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Have you noticed cigars widening your appreciation for other thing

Very, very true........I kinda thought about that, but never had the complete thought put together, but you glued it together very nicely my brother!

TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

no
Old 12-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Yes I have noticed this in many areas. I think it was McSmokey, Sawyer and I that had a similar conversation a few months back.

I have always been fairly detail oriented with my hobbies but my obsession/appreciation of cigars has definitely led me down paths of desiring to find better or higher quality products or methods in many areas. A few examples: Craft beer, bourbon (liquor in general), shaving, and coffee. I had always somewhat desired better alcohol but coffee and shaving are two things I gave little thought to before reading threads at CS and here. While new obsessions have grown I have no regrets in the way I feel these things have enriched experiences and made relatively unimportant aspects of life truly enjoyable.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
no
You sure are verbose!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I'd agree that there is a corollary, but I am not sure that the blame should fall on cigars, as if they widen my (our) appreciation of other things. There are many who some cigars who never fall into that category - those who take the time to sort through nuances of flavors in things, or the subtleties of certain pieces of music, etc...

How about this. It is an attitude to life in general. What I mean is, those who have learned to appreciate all of life in general, are those who also slow down to enjoy all the nuances that life offers, whether in cigars, food, beverages, music, relationships, a sunset, a snowflake, etc...

When you appreciate life, and all it has to offer, you slow down to look at all the little things. Sometimes it takes a life-altering event to make us slow down (heart attack, near fatal car accident), but sometimes wisdom and appreciation come without such things.

Of course, there are some who learn it in one aspect of life and then apply it to other aspects (learned it with wine, passed it to cigars or vice versa). Sometimes they get it an apply it to all of life, sometimes people don't, and apply it to only a few different areas, like maybe cigars and booze.

Life really happens when we slow down to appreciate all things and realize that life is in the some of the minute details. Pauline and I sat for a portion of yesterday enjoying reading the essays that her 5th & 6th grade English students wrote, all in response to the same assignment. Some were funny, some were sad, some made us wonder how they made it to 5th or 6th grade.

I like to think that life is in the small details, look for them and enjoy them.

Might you agree with that Scott? Could that be a possible explanation.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Being a snob is not always a bad thing.

Beer snob...Check.
Cigar snob...Check.
Food snob...Check.
**** snob...Check! <---Really? that got filtered?

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
...made relatively unimportant aspects of life truly enjoyable.
That's a biggie right there. The spinoff of that is what it adds to conversation, and sharing the experiences with Lisa and the rest of the family. That goes for friends, too.
Granted, no one I know really wants to talk about shaving, but if I can do something as simple as picking out an odd appetizer at dinner that I know everyone will like, something we haven't had before, the wider appreciation is going to make others happy. Then I'm happy.
There seems to be lots of things that come from it.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I'd agree that there is a corollary, but I am not sure that the blame should fall on cigars, as if they widen my (our) appreciation of other things. There are many who some cigars who never fall into that category - those who take the time to sort through nuances of flavors in things, or the subtleties of certain pieces of music, etc...

How about this. It is an attitude to life in general. What I mean is, those who have learned to appreciate all of life in general, are those who also slow down to enjoy all the nuances that life offers, whether in cigars, food, beverages, music, relationships, a sunset, a snowflake, etc...

When you appreciate life, and all it has to offer, you slow down to look at all the little things. Sometimes it takes a life-altering event to make us slow down (heart attack, near fatal car accident), but sometimes wisdom and appreciation come without such things.

Of course, there are some who learn it in one aspect of life and then apply it to other aspects (learned it with wine, passed it to cigars or vice versa). Sometimes they get it an apply it to all of life, sometimes people don't, and apply it to only a few different areas, like maybe cigars and booze.

Life really happens when we slow down to appreciate all things and realize that life is in the some of the minute details. Pauline and I sat for a portion of yesterday enjoying reading the essays that her 5th & 6th grade English students wrote, all in response to the same assignment. Some were funny, some were sad, some made us wonder how they made it to 5th or 6th grade.

I like to think that life is in the small details, look for them and enjoy them.

Might you agree with that Scott? Could that be a possible explanation.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
I can agree absolutely, Todd.
For me, getting hurt a couple years ago slowed down my body a lot. Then the cigars slowed down my mind. Still there were a lot of spaghetti ends in my brain that weren't really tied together until I went back and read Ecclesiates. It basically said to me "Listen kid, life sucks. You better pay extra close attention to God's Grace, cause whatever you got, it ain't sh!t." Since then life has gotten exponentially better, even though I was perfectly happy with the way things already were.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #10
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Yep, starting down the craft beer path now ... my wallet does not like my new interest either.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Definitely with beer, Scott....maybe some other things that I haven't thought about before now as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Being a snob is not always a bad thing.

Beer snob...Check.
Cigar snob...Check.
Food snob...Check.
**** snob...Check! <---Really? that got filtered?
Really, Scott! If we let you start saying **** on the board, pretty soon people are going to be saying **** and **** and *****, and you know that will lead to people saying ********* and the like. It's like a gateway word to other bad words.

(I have no idea what word you tried to type, there are several 4 letter words filtered.....I think Pvff should be one of them.)

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Evening bump to see what you guys think.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #13
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Definitely with beer, Scott....maybe some other things that I haven't thought about before now as well.

Really, Scott! If we let you start saying **** on the board, pretty soon people are going to be saying **** and **** and *****, and you know that will lead to people saying ********* and the like. It's like a gateway word to other bad words.

(I have no idea what word you tried to type, there are several 4 letter words filtered.....I think Pvff should be one of them.)
thanks I needed that after recieving my empty box today.
In answer to the original question yes cheese and pipes.
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

I would have to say YES...

Particularly with Scotch... Bourbons... Rums... and wines.
See a pattern here?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #15
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Never really paid attention until I read your post Scott. But one thing is for certain...I will be keeping a watchful eye on your "anal retentive a$$" from here on out. It's a science with Scott...Shilalaism at its finest!!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #16
justonemorestick
Kat Krap Kontanment Media

First Name: Warren
Trading: (13)
justonemorestick is on a distinguished road

I am noticing it in my scotch and beers too.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:03 AM   #17
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

Another vote for booze. Also, the smoking of a good cigar helps me to get into a zone in which I enjoy my music with a more relaxed ear. I hear stuff in albums I've listened to a million times that I never heard before.

MCS
Old 12-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #18
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
Also, the smoking of a good cigar helps me to get into a zone in which I enjoy my music with a more relaxed ear. I hear stuff in albums I've listened to a million times that I never heard before.
That's cool right there. I never gave it a thought. Thanks, Cap.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #19
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Also, the smoking of a good cigar helps me to get into a zone in which I enjoy my music with a more relaxed ear. I hear stuff in albums I've listened to a million times that I never heard before.

MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
That's cool right there. I never gave it a thought. Thanks, Cap.
+2.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #20
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Another vote for booze. Also, the smoking of a good cigar helps me to get into a zone in which I enjoy my music with a more relaxed ear. I hear stuff in albums I've listened to a million times that I never heard before.

MCS
35 years ago I smoked some chit and listened to some music and heard stuff I haven't heard since.