Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough
Default Educate Me On Cancun

I have been, 7 years ago to be exact. I didn't smoke cigars at the time and didn't do much besides drink and lounge. That may be the plan this time as well, with a lot of cigar smoking added in.

So school me on the Hotel Zone and feeding my cigar habit.

There is a LCDH?

I have to admit that I was VERY, VERY skeptical about going to Mexico, but I have been convinced that it is safe(relative term I guess) in the mass tourist areas, we have to go, we are taking the family(kids)....so we are booked and heading to Cancun....

I have to admit that I am excited to get away(we are still a few months out) and even more excited to be in a place that is not smoker unfriendly(this is an assumption I guess)....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Martel

Default Re: Educate Me On Cancun

There was an LCdH when I was there, in a mall somewhere... it was a short bus/ cab ride from our resort. Sorry I can't be more specific, but it's been 15 years or so. Fake Cuban heaven otherwise, I remember that. Saw lots of clowns at our resort bar shelling out for glass top box Esplendidos.

Cheers,
G
Old 12-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Believe I will be taking a full 30 ct travel box, but if I can find a LCdH, I will definitely stop in a few times, assuming it is not too far.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
jkim05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (17)
PL
jkim05 is on a distinguished road

There is an LCDH in the hotel zone next to one of the malls, but in a separate building. It's not difficult to find and your hotel concierge should be able to give you directions.
jkim05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

It's in Mexico. Cancun that is

That's all I really know.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
It's in Mexico. Cancun that is

That's all I really know.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

The LCdH is right across the street from the fire / polce department as I remember. The Cuban bartender makes a mean mojito with Havana Club rum, and there is a back deck that is relaxing to smoke on and enjoy your drink.

The owner was not in town when I was there, and the employees there were not too knowledgable about cigars, so hopefully the owner is in town. The humidor there was well stocked, but you can't pay any attention to box codes on open boxes as they simply refill the old boxes with the prices on them. The had some nice REs for sale when I was there, but I don't think the conditions in their humidor are great. RA Phoenicios and Edmundo Dantes 109 intact back then, but this is a couple years back. They also had a desktop full of Taboada customs.

I ended up smoking my first RA Phoenicio. Prices were high, so I didn't buy anything else to take to the resort as I had my own with me. But definitely worth stopping in for a cigar and a couple drinks.

Address: Bivd. Kukulkan Km 12
Telephone: 52 (998) 840 7000
Fax: 52 (998) 840 7001

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
Conch Republican
10-78

HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

My 2 cents (travel to Mexico for work) is to be careful - use your head and stay on the resort. (I travel a lot for work and was in Cancun and Playa del Carmen for vacation, Monterrey for work, etc).
If you are going to another area - go as a group (larger the better). Sorry I am stressing this, but from personal experience - some of my team has had issues there - it's best to use lots of common sense.

That said - I would (IMHO) only trust the LCdH, and no other places for cigars. We brought our own, and other than getting the glass top Cohibo's for fun's sake...that was it.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conch Republican View Post
That said - I would (IMHO) only trust the LCdH, and no other places for cigars. We brought our own, and other than getting the glass top Cohibo's for fun's sake...that was it.
Absolutely Mark, I guess I didn't stress that in my post. Almost every shop has glasstops for sale, and even the couple places besides LCdH that are "cigar shops" have nothing but fakes, save a couple PCs in tubos.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Thanks for the responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conch Republican View Post
My 2 cents (travel to Mexico for work) is to be careful - use your head and stay on the resort. (I travel a lot for work and was in Cancun and Playa del Carmen for vacation, Monterrey for work, etc).
If you are going to another area - go as a group (larger the better). Sorry I am stressing this, but from personal experience - some of my team has had issues there - it's best to use lots of common sense.

When you say "stay in the resort" are you including the entire hotel zone or you mean, stay hotel to hotel? I have assumed that the entire hotel zone, mall, bars and restaurants ect are good... Just don't rent a scooter and go bopping outside that area.... Wrong?