Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice
Default Question for all the contractors/Handymen if we have any.

So since we had the house built a few years ago my wife has been asking me to build a window seat in the bay window area in the living room which is now going to become the play room here shortly. With that she has really been wanting me to do it before the baby arrives since that room will be the play room from that point forward. I know the fact of the matter is that I will never find enough free time anytime soon to do the project myself which is why it has yet to be done. So I had someone come out the other day and quote it for me. We are not going nuts as it will just be framed and the outside will just be drywall with molding along the bottom and it will be solid wood on top with the middle section cut and hinged so we can use the inside for storage. Nothing too crazy as even the inside will just be roughed as we will probably just use it to throw toys and what not inside of it so it doesn't need to be fancy. The dimensions will roughly be about 8ft wide by 3-4ft deep by 2-2.5ft high of course following the curve of the bay window on the inside and straight on the outside. The guy that I had come quoted me $750. So to all those who would know how to price this, does that sound fair? Seems a bit high to me but than again I am not a contractor by any means so I could be totally off base. I know people sometimes see what I do for a living and see the prices I charge and think I am robbing people but I am just charging industry standard so my thinking can be way off on a project like this. The guy who quoted me is a the husband of my wifes friend who also moved here a few years ago from NY so they go back to being childhood friends and I am friendly enough with the husband where if he is a bit on the high side I will tell him what I am willing to pay for the job and go from there. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Question for all the contractors/Handymen if we have any.

Actually that sounds like a really good deal. As he will have to buy wood, drywall, hardware and paint at the very least which would be around $100 - $200, factor in all the tools you would need to do the job right(if you had to buy them) dry wall tools, drill, general tools, circular saw etc... and it would cost you at least $500 to do the job your self. That means he is charging very little for labor. A job like that here in Seattle would be charged at minimum $1500 if not more.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Damn. I know nothing about pricing bit I know I got the tools. If only you lives on Jersey John, we could bang that f-er out over a few smokes and cost you only 2 or so for material!

My general rule of thumb when I'm having someone else do work for me is three quotes. Then compare the quotes with the presentation and credibility of character. Then roll from there. Most guys will match the lowest bid anyway, even if it's way lower than original.

Just about everyone needs work, and getting paid half of what you would normally get and getting nothing makes a big deal today!
Old 10-12-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

30 + years in the trades here - so this is my take on it:

Not accounting for tools wear and tear, vehicle to get there (fuel, insurance, etc), any license he has, etc.

$750 minus say $150 max for materials leaves $600. 8 hours at 3 days start to finish means he is working for $25 an hour. Takes him any longer than that and he is working for less than $20 and hour and most likely not making any money/profit. After all when anybody works towards a paycheck they want to have money left over after the bills are paid which means they make a profit (as such). In addition when most people go to work they know one trade or skill. When a handyman/contractor comes to work he has to know several trades/skills. In this case, rough carpentry, drywall, trim and finish.

Sooo - at $750 I think you are getting a good deal as long as the job meets your approval on the finish project.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:13 AM   #5
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
. . . Most guys will match the lowest bid anyway, even if it's way lower than original. . .
And that's just sad. True but sad. I've always said that I can lose money by staying at home rather than having to go out and work to lose it. In all my years I have absolutely refused to ever lower a bid. And I've had customers say well so and so will do it for x amount cheaper. Well then have them do it is my answer.

My other favorite is when a customer wants a cost breakdown: materials and labor. What they really want to know is how much I'm making. And my answer is always the same: Sure - just as soon as you show me your tax returns so I can see what you are making. Funny how I've never had any takers -

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

It's a buyer's market for skilled trades labor because they're very short on work. I suggest checking out http://www.angieslist.com to get a sense of their customer satisfaction and you could also score people off craigslist.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Thanks for the replies fellas. I would hope it wouldn't take him three days to bang this out. For a tradesman I am figuring a full day or a day and a half tops since they will need the spackle to dry before sanding. Shouldn't be a lot of drywall work as the drywall portion will only be about 2.5ft high by the total width tops. I will do the painting. I wish I had the free time to do it myself but just not in the cards for me right now. I have the tools just need the time.