Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
E-Tx Surveyor

Default Any computer experts?

I'm am completely naive when it comes to anything more than performing media tasks on a computer, I'm hoping maybe a few of you have more expertise in this area.

I'm interested in getting back into World Of Warcraft to play with some friends and co-workers. The computer I have now won't run it, plus this laptop belongs to my wife and she doesn't want my WoW time cutting into her FB time.

I'm interested in building my own machine because I hear it can be done relatively easier and far cheaper with better specs compared to a store bought system.

I jumped on Newegg and went to looking at things like video cards, motherboards, and processors. The problem is, it all might as well be written in Mandorin Chinese.

Does anyone have a link to a guide that can explain some basics to me, or another forum with a newbie section so I can start reading up?

Thanks so much.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any computer experts?

http://www.extremetech.com/category2...2279634,00.asp

This site has everything.
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

You should check out Maximum PC, they usually have an issue where they build a few different machines...
Old 07-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
waffle
Who doesn't love Waffles?

First Name: Steve (Stephen)
Trading: (38)
waffle has a spectacular aura aboutwaffle has a spectacular aura about

lol, well the question becomes... strictly WoW or other things, budget minded or balls out amazing... gimmie some of that info and we'll guide you along... also if you can give us a price range, that would help... you could also check out tom's hardware, the do a write about high end, midrange, and budget builds about ever 2 months... those have some good jumping off points... feel free to pm or leave msgs in here and I'll see what I can do to help.
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Tom's hardware
Posted via Mobile Device
Mugen910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
E-Tx Surveyor

I'll be on a budget for sure. I would like to keep it under $1,000. I will probably start collecting parts in a month or two and it will probably take me that long to purchase everything I need.

It will be primarily for WoW, I don't need it set up for high end raiding, just casual gameplay and PvP arenas for end game. Of course standard internet usage thrown in.

One thing I'm interested in doing is being able to use my TV (52" Sony Bravia) as a monitor on certain occasions.

Any help would be appreciated, I have Tom's open in another tab as a I type this.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
Tom's hardware
Aw shucks.....thanks Bao.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Trading: (1)
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road

Donot skimp on your video card. Thats what I did and was pissed when I had to buy a new one.
Posted via Mobile Device
colinb913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Most important component in the entire system is the power supply. Do not skimp on the power supply. And don't assume one that comes with a case is a decent one either.

Take that from a person who has assembled many many many computers.

My brand of choice is Corsair. A 450W should do you fine depending on your graphics card.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

All good info so far. Just as Jordan has, ive built almost every computer I've owned and built for many family and friends. You need any specifics, let us know. Building a computer the first time can be very daunting at first but is actualy quite easy once you understand what plays well with each other.

Take it in steps. Make a parts list. Then by the stuff. Then we can give you guidence toward the actual build.

It's very easy to get caught up in the "this model is only $35 more and has 250 more GB of onboard memory" syndrome. Understand what your getting your parts for and select thru lab tests on te sites mentioned to get the appropriate models for your needs.

Sorry for blabbing on and on. I'll stop now.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #11
ridenlive

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Tx Surveyor View Post
I'll be on a budget for sure. I would like to keep it under $1,000.
Thats relatively an easy price goal to keep under. I wish allot of my clients when i was building computers would have given me that range, but you should be able to build a pretty cool system for that much. I would check around pricewatch.com for prices on hardware and even software.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Building computers is fun!
Old 07-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Check out this site for building gaming computers at different amounts of $$.

http://www.hardware-revolution.com/budget-gaming-pc/

I used a good deal of components of the $400 system and my PC screams!

As far as where to begin, you can look up tutorial videos on youtube. There are bunch of different vids that can show you exact steps to take and tips. Just do searches for things like:

install a motherboard
install a power supply (or PSU)
build computer tutorial
Old 07-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #14
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
I'm interested in getting back into World Of Warcraft to play with some friends and co-workers. The computer I have now won't run it, plus this laptop belongs to my wife and she doesn't want my WoW time cutting into her FB time.
As an aside, a friend is part of the closed beta testing for the new version of WoW. One test character is a werewolf who wears a top hat
Old 07-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #15
E-Tx Surveyor

I found several websites that have outlines different machines for different price ranges. Everyone here has been a huge help.

I've started price shopping already, hoping to pick up a few things on special so I'm going to try and maintain patience

I think I will go with a $750 system so I have some play room for a monitor. I would still really like to be able to play on my big screen TV but it seems I would need a very high end video card.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #16
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Quote:
I would still really like to be able to play on my big screen TV but it seems I would need a very high end video card.
Not necessarily. Adapters brother. Of course the resolution will be scales down to the tv. But most tv's have an analog connected for PC's. VGA. They are by standard, blue.

If not, some have DVI connectors, white. And almost all tv's these days have HDMI ports. You can adapt to your video card or look for one that has a native connector as your tv and use it as an extended display.

Unfortunately, you won't be getting the 1600 x 1200 on your tv if your tv is only 1080. It may even get scaled to 600 x 480 but it can be done none the less.

Don't forget to comp your prices. Ive bought a majority of all my parts from Newegg and ZipZoomFly.

Good luck brother.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #17
XTRazzer
Still Watching My Back

XTRazzer is on a distinguished road

Frys, Micro Center, MWave, NewEgg, and ZipZoomFly are all good vendors.

As already stated don't skimp on the power supply. Although I would go with a minimum of 650w because of today's graphics cards.

Case is important too. Better quality cases have better cooling flow and there aren't sharp edges on the steel inside. Bigger fans can be run slower and therefore quieter. Cases usually incur higher shipping charges, so buy locally when on sale.

You might save some money going with AMD over Intel for the processor. For motherboards I prefer ASUS and Gigabyte because they seem to be the most reliable. As far as motherboard features, having an onboard graphics is nice should you ever have concerns about the video card. Otherwise the onboard graphics is disabled when using the video card.

I recommend that most people buy the motherboard with the CPU installed and bench tested (MWave does this and I'm told Micro Center can do this). This avoids the potential for damage when the processor is set or having a motherboard that's dead-on-arrival.

Picking the components is the hardest part. The rest is pretty much reading instructions and assembling.
XTRazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #18
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
. . . I hear it can be done relatively easier and far cheaper with better specs compared to a store bought system.
. . .
Better specs, Yes. Far cheaper, No.

Quote:
. . . I think I will go with a $750 system . . . a very high end video card.
Some video cards alone can run that much -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
. . .
Don't forget to comp your prices. Ive bought a majority of all my parts from Newegg and ZipZoomFly.

Good luck brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRazzer View Post
. . . As already stated don't skimp on the power supply. Although I would go with a minimum of 650w because of today's graphics cards.

Case is important too. Better quality cases have better cooling flow and there aren't sharp edges on the steel inside. Bigger fans can be run slower and therefore quieter. Cases usually incur higher shipping charges, so buy locally when on sale.
I actually found my last case on Buy.com, saved a few hundred and got free shipping. Keep them in mind after you select your parts for price checking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRazzer View Post
. . . . Picking the components is the hardest part. The rest is pretty much reading instructions and assembling.
Once you select your motherboard - see what they recommend for the memory chips and go with it. Don't just select any ole memory based on price, etc.

Good luck with it and let us know what you end up with!

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #19
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

I'll also put in my recommendation to pick up a 3$ static strap for piece of mind. Odds are you won't zap something, but it's just always been easier for me to wear an ESD strap. Personally I just wear ones that slip over my shoe rather than the wrist ones, but I get those from work.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #20
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

The easiest things is to buy a barebones kit which pretty much gives you everything or almost everything and you can then put it together yourself. You can try tigerdirect.com or geeks.com. Otherwise need to start with the motherboard get the correct processing chip and to see if it's an AGP or PCI slot the rest of your peripherals, then ram, then hard drive, video card, sound card, ethernet card/wireless card, cooling/fans, power supply/case (make sure the power supply is enough for everything).
ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote