Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough
Default What are good watch brands *not uber expensive*

I hardly ever wear a watch, but I saw on one of my regular bargain shopping websites that someone has a Seiko Flightmaster watch for sale for $97. Seikos are pretty good, but I dont know if I need all those extras that I wont use.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What are good watch brands *not uber expensive

I just bought a Seiko Chronograph. I really like it. It was 50% of at Macy's so I got it for $150.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

for 97 bucks, it will perform well, as a Seiko. Worse comes to worse, it's only 97 bucks.
What are you looking for in a watch, and what is your price range?
Without snooty watch guy advice, I imagine there are a couple guys that can help you out.
replicant_argent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
MLC

Invicta makes good watches - screw down crown, screws instead of pins in band, solid links- I've had the Invicta Speedway for over 3 yrs no problems. Their watches range from about $150 to $3,000.

Festina is also a good not uber expensive brand
Old 11-05-2008, 09:21 AM   #5
av8tor152d
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jason
Trading: (21)
RA Army (Disabled Vet)
av8tor152d will become famous soon enoughav8tor152d will become famous soon enough

Casio G-Shocks for every day wear to work, Have one that has survived 2 deployments to Iraq and still is going strong... Band smells a little funky but when it gets bad I just toss it in the dishwasher.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

I wear an Orient, a division of Seiko, for an everyday, automatic watch. rotating bezel, screw down crowns, 200 m waterproof, good looking, and you can get one for under a hundred bucks, looks and feels like a watch you could waste a hell of a lot more money on, and get about the same adequate level of performance.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
I wear an Orient, a division of Seiko, for an everyday, automatic watch. rotating bezel, screw down crowns, 200 m waterproof, good looking, and you can get one for under a hundred bucks, looks and feels like a watch you could waste a hell of a lot more money on, and get about the same adequate level of performance.
I strongly agree with you. I purchased a Tag Aquaracer and to this day i wish that i would have purchased an orient. I could have had a quality watch with a fat wallet.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:27 AM   #8
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

As far as price/quality goes, there are some great German watches out there. Sinn comes immediately to mind. Very well-done pilots watches under 2k new.

Another good watch on a budget is Omega. Definitely more bang for your buck than most and you can find them used.

Going even cheaper, Hamilton and Longines make some good stuff, too.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #9
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
As far as price/quality goes, there are some great German watches out there. Sinn comes immediately to mind. Very well-done pilots watches under 2k new.

Another good watch on a budget is Omega. Definitely more bang for your buck than most and you can find them used.
Omega makes some great watches. IMO they are better than Rolex's.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Hard to beat Seiko or Citizen. I haven't seen a reasonably prices Swiss watch in 10 years or so ... used to be you could get a nice Glycine, Epos, Fortis, Oris, Revue Thommen or Zeno for under $400. Not any more. And mechanical watches are cool, but normally need servicing each 5-8 years, which is not cheap. Seiko mechanicals are basically throw away .. it would cost as much to service as buy a new one unless you are lucky and have a good watchmaker nearby.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

I have a Seiko flight watch and absolutely love it, I get compliments all the time on it.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #12
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post

Going even cheaper, Hamilton and Longines make some good stuff, too.
I think we might need his definition of "uber-expensive." For some guys, spending more than a couple hundred bucks on an everyday watch isn't reasonable, with the abuse that a watch can take on a guys wrist. I am one of them, I don't take my watch off almost ever, and between work, messing around with cars, a few different hobbies, and my clutziness, value/robust design/performance/appearance is a definite consideration. He posted a watch in the hundred dollar range, and I think that jacking that advice to a $600-1200 watch might not be what he is looking for.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:41 AM   #13
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

I like to wear either a Seiko Coutura or a Sawtooth from time to time.

The Coutura is nice beacuse it's a Kinetic Perpetual which means all I have to do is give it a few shakes and it sets the correct time, date, year and month all on it's own. No battery to worry about.

The Sawtooth is a heavy meaty timepiece that I use as a roustabout watch since it will more likly hurt something else before it gets hurt itself.

Bottom line is you probably won't get the attention many other bands will bring you, but you'll get an excellet watch for a great value.

Seiko is a very solid brand.

You may also want to check out Hamilton as well. They have some nice watches spanning the price points from top to bottom.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #14
croatan
Missing Peter

Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
I think we might need his definition of "uber-expensive." For some guys, spending more than a couple hundred bucks on an everyday watch isn't reasonable, with the abuse that a watch can take on a guys wrist. I am one of them, I don't take my watch off almost ever, and between work, messing around with cars, a few different hobbies, and my clutziness, value/robust design/performance/appearance is a definite consideration. He posted a watch in the hundred dollar range, and I think that jacking that advice to a $600-1200 watch might not be what he is looking for.
True. A price range would help immensely. "Uber expensive" is certainly relative. What I wear some would consider uber-expensive and some might scoff at. I did try to run the gamut on pricing, though, at least with watches with which I'm familiar. There are many Hamiltons and Longines available for far less than $600.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #15
Sailchaser
Black Ops-SOB

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
HUpmann CoastGuard
Sailchaser has disabled reputation

Watches are another bad habit that I have and seiko for every day at work are fine ,I one of the best repair centers for seiko and citizen called J&R watch repair, the service all years and all makes, they are the only one I ever trust,pm me if you need an info
Old 11-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #16
Sancho
Puddle Jumper

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
Sancho has disabled reputation

My daily beater watch is an Alpha, made in china with a bracelet that probably is worth what you pay for the watch (~50) they are styled after the popular higher end brands, are water resistant, screw down crown and case back, etc. and keep accurate time.

Another brand to consider is Vostok, russian manufacturer makes some slick watches in the 60-200 range all automatics with ratings up to 200m for their divers, screw downs crowns etc etc.

As someone else said, citizen makes a sweet watch for a bit more money 120-500 as a plus if you get a ecodrive you wont need batteries and it just goes and goes as long as it gets daylight every so often.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #17
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tor152d View Post
Casio G-Shocks for every day wear to work, Have one that has survived 2 deployments to Iraq and still is going strong... Band smells a little funky but when it gets bad I just toss it in the dishwasher.
I have the metal band on mine....great watch!!
Old 11-05-2008, 01:22 PM   #18
GrtndpwrflOZ
Just call me OZ

First Name: Brian
Bolivar
GrtndpwrflOZ is on a distinguished road

I agree, I have 3 Invictas and they are all great.
Crotan is another inexpensive watch that seems to work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC View Post
Invicta makes good watches - screw down crown, screws instead of pins in band, solid links- I've had the Invicta Speedway for over 3 yrs no problems. Their watches range from about $150 to $3,000.

Festina is also a good not uber expensive brand
GrtndpwrflOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #19
White97Jimmy
Puff on this

Trading: (1)
RA
White97Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailchaser View Post
Watches are another bad habit that I have and seiko for every day at work are fine ,I one of the best repair centers for seiko and citizen called J&R watch repair, the service all years and all makes, they are the only one I ever trust,pm me if you need an info
Is that the one next to Smokers Outlet?

For work, I have a few Timex watches. Ultra cheap and takes a lickin and keeps on tickin! For dress, I wear my Burberry Chrono.
White97Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #20
spincycle

I love Nixon watches. But I buy for style and nothing else really.

http://www.nixonnow.com/