Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-24-2008, 05:13 AM   #1
ProfesserX

Default What former friend gave you your 1st smoke

I have Rotten Zombie to thank for my addiction and my Debt. We met in a class I was teaching and he handed me 2 sticks. I told him I didn't smoke but thanks. Well I smoked one and now I have about 30 at home and when he comes through town we get together and light em up.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:18 AM   #2
silentjon

Default Re: What former friend gave you your 1st smoke

My wife actually got me into cigars. I guess that is why I married her. . She still says I have too many.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:34 AM   #3
cf2112

When I joined our local golf club one of the groups I played golf with had an older gent who always gave me a cigar. He has since passed away but I still remember the first one he gave me, a Thompson brand that I told him was awful. The next one was a CAO Gold and it's been down hill since.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:44 AM   #4
GoinFerSmoke

For me it was a gent on another board. He came to visit his father who lives in town and he brought me my first Monte #2 and some hitchhikers... it has been a grand time overall trying all the different cigars there are out there!
Old 10-24-2008, 06:04 AM   #5
rsamos

Well ... my first smoke didn't get me started on the slide.

I used to mod at another forum (not cigars) and in the back room one day one of the other mods posted that he had a "few too many sticks and needed to make some room. Does anyone want a couple cigars?"

I thought a cigar or two sounded good, and I said sure and pm'd him my addy. A few days later I came home and there was a crater where my front porch used to be. In the middle of it, was a box with about 30 sticks in it.

I scrambled to get a large enough humidor for that pile. Then I joined a a cigar forum and had a larger humi within a month. Then within 3-4 more months I had a Vino.

A "few too many"? He bombed at least two other guys with a similar box.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:09 AM   #6
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

my FIRST stick I had with my best friend (also a non smoker) on his wedding day. (so i guess technically his dad gave me my first cigar).

The slide started when I found my dad's old humidor (long dried out, but full of about 100 sticks). I returned a small portion of them to smokeable status, and the slide began........
spectrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:12 AM   #7
RottenZombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfesserX View Post
I have Rotten Zombie to thank for my addiction and my Debt. We met in a class I was teaching and he handed me 2 sticks. I told him I didn't smoke but thanks. Well I smoked one and now I have about 30 at home and when he comes through town we get together and light em up.

Told you I wasn't doing you any favors . ( Maniacal Laughter inserted here )
Old 10-24-2008, 06:16 AM   #8
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

A question...

Why would it be a former friend and not a current one?
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:06 AM   #9
Dgar

One of my best friends who I met a few years ago was always smoking a stogie, one day I asked to try one... the next day he showed up at my house with 75ct humi with a bunch of cigars in it... that gift has cost me more money

To this day, my and Bud and I still get together to smoke on a regular basis.

It's cool when you can pass it on.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:18 AM   #10
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

My friend Chad (not a member of CA) gave me my first cigar but it was Bobarian that pushed me hard down the slope!!!

Bob gifted me with a 48 qt. Cooler and digital Hydrometer at my second herf along with many sticks... Ratters is a close second followed by gnukfu!!!! You magnificent bastards!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:15 AM   #11
Cigargal
Waiting for SoCal XI

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Cigargal will become famous soon enoughCigargal will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
My friend Chad (not a member of CA) gave me my first cigar but it was Bobarian that pushed me hard down the slope!!!

Bob gifted me with a 48 qt. Cooler and digital Hydrometer at my second herf along with many sticks... Ratters is a close second followed by gnukfu!!!! You magnificent bastards!!!
Ah, corrupting youth-great past time.

I have no one to blame but myself-then I joined the jungle and BWD pushed me down the slope.
Cigargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:18 AM   #12
rck70

I have TripleF (my uncle ) to thank for shoving me down the slope...while he laughs...
Old 10-24-2008, 08:22 AM   #13
ProfesserX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
A question...

Why would it be a former friend and not a current one?
Slight play on words. My wife jokes with me about his attack on our bank account. He is a great friend and we get to blame him every time I turn the car around to make a stop at yet another cigar shop.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:43 AM   #14
leasingthisspace

I still think he is a great friend. It wasn't my first cigar that he gave me but it was the first that made a difference in the way I saw cigars.JohnnyKay5 is my LT. That first Padron made a world of difference to me. I try and PIF in the way he did for me. Maybe someday I will be able to hand someone a cigar that turns out to make a difference to them. One can hope anyway.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #15
hoax

My gf who is now my wife bought me my first stick, a tubo Davidoff from Ceaser's Palace in Vegas.

I didn't smoke cigars at the time and I never smoked it. I found it again a few years later and it was completely dried out.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #16
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

My friend Tom brought a cigar to my birthday dinner for himself. We were drinking port and he offered me a couple of puffs. I thought this is pretty good. A month later we went out for his birthday and he gave me an Upmann tubos to smoke. I was hooked at that very moment.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:56 AM   #17
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

well, my real cigar smoking days started with cigars I bought myself, on a holiday to the far east. But I didn't smoke alone, I smoked with a Belgian buddy of mine. He doesn't smoke that often and isn't on any of the boards.
Don Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #18
AriesOpusX
Goodfella

Trading: (0)
AriesOpusX is on a distinguished road

My buddy in highschool gave me a macanudo back in the day but I didn't really start smoking seriously until about a year later when my grandfather and uncle were having a smoke at a wedding and handed me one. That was many many...many...boxes ago.
AriesOpusX is offline   Reply With Quote