Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
mikeyj23
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
mikeyj23 will become famous soon enough
Default Smoking room $$ question

Wife and I looking into buying a house, and contemplating turning an extra bedroom into a man cave. I'm aware of the builds that CA members have done on their own, and the famous Mark THS basement build. Roughly how much would it cost to have a contractor retrofit a bedroom rather than doing it on my own? I'm assuming that supplies would be in the range of $1500-2000, but how much would the contracting cost?

The room would be roughly 11x11 and likely the only aesthetic change would be laminate or tile floors rather than carpet (which I can do on my own). I'd just need to contract out the HVAC modification and exhaust work.

Any rough estimates?
mikeyj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Smoking room $$ question

Total guesstimate:
Labor = roughly 2x's Supply costs. May vary dramatically depending on the detail of the work.

So,
$3000 in labor
$1500 in Supplies
$4500 Total

It's really hard to guess labor until you have an idea of what type of work is to be done.
How much Tile, Electrical, Drywall, Framing......?

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
mikeyj23
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
mikeyj23 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
Total guesstimate:
Labor = roughly 2x's Supply costs. May vary dramatically depending on the detail of the work.

So,
$3000 in labor
$1500 in Supplies
$4500 Total

It's really hard to guess labor until you have an idea of what type of work is to be done.
How much Tile, Electrical, Drywall, Framing......?
Good questions.
I can do flooring, and we'll leave existing drywall and framing - just maybe caulk wall seams. Most of the labor will be HVAC: exhaust fan installation, additional ducting as needed, damper for fresh air intake. The only electrical will be wall wiring for fan controls, which is pretty simple. Thanks for the help.
mikeyj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

I would assume some of the drywall would have to be ripped out to install the duct work, vents, fan, etc...

I kept all of my receipts from doing mine, but I did all the labor myself with the help of some friends.

11x11.... Hmmmmmmm... If you are just having someone do the exhaust work with the materials and the drywall replaced where they will have to destroy it.... I'm guessing under $2k this can be done. If this room in located below the attic space then no drywall should have to be replaced.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote