Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-18-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
mrgto

Default Newbie cigar list

Hello fellow inmates! I am relativley new to smoking. My first "true" cigar was a AF hemi sig perfecto. I have since come to love Camacho and Padron cigars. I want to branch out to some other brands so i dont get stuck in a rut of just sticking with the well known brands and missing out on some really good lesser known smokes.

When i walk into my local B&M, i am overwhelmed with the selection and end up falling back on my favorite brands.

I need some advice on brands to try that i normally would have no clue about. I am open to all suggestions from mild to damn i need to sit back down!!!

Thanks!!

Tim
Old 06-18-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Newbie cigar list

Perdomo makes some great sticks, as well as the Don Pepin Garcia blends. You should also try Tatuaje- they make excellent sticks as well. Also maybe try to make a point of trying atleast one new brand or stick everytime you go to the B&M. Whether it be going down the line, or picking randomly, you'll be sure to expand your horizons.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
Biglizard1
LLG turned CAI

First Name: David
Trading: (8)
Montecristo
Biglizard1 is on a distinguished road

Just another idea, check out the newbie sampler trade thread in make a wish/pif thread. You can find some great new smokes that way.
Also, check the NC reviews, a good way to find new smokes to try that may intrigue you. find those reviews that match your tastes, and try those cigars. Or send me your address and I will send you a sampler! pm for details.
Biglizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

sounds like you're off to a good start. a 5'er of Padrons was my first purchase and got me totally hooked. If you want a special treat, for a few extra dollars pick up a Padron '64 maduro. Most stores carry them and you don't have to be an expert to appreciate how good they are, consistently rated among the top cigars in the world.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:46 AM   #5
jerseystepup
L-I-V-I-N

First Name: Randy
Trading: (9)
JL
jerseystepup is on a distinguished road

Just give everything in your b&m a going over.. so many people like so many difft things.. when you go in pick out 2 or 3 random new sticks every time
jerseystepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Tim...just sample a bit of everything is the best advise that can be given. When I first started, I was only smoking natural wrappered sticks...then a friend turned me onto a maduro and I was hooked!!! I make a list each month of sticks I want to try and off to the B&M I go with my "shopping list" and sample a few different sticks each time. Has worked well for me. Read the threads...there are some great "unknown" and inexpensive sticks out there (ie, Tampa Sweetheart 500s, etc) to be had. Two sticks that become my go to smokes because of this method are the Sancha Panza Double Maduro and the Perdomo Lot 23 Maduro. Have fun!!
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #7
trader1974
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Austin
trader1974 is on a distinguished road

I would suggest just about anything from Oliva, esp. the Serie V.
trader1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
SmokinCozy
I don't smoke that

First Name: Craig
Trading: (47)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
SmokinCozy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseystepup View Post
Just give everything in your b&m a going over.. so many people like so many difft things.. when you go in pick out 2 or 3 random new sticks every time

Well said
Old 06-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #9
mrgto

Thanks for the ideas. I like the idea of going down the line at the b&m and get a new stick every time. I just dont want to end up w a dog rocket. I guess you will never know unless you try.

I dont really know what taste i like just yet, i have a pretty unrefined palate right now. I have tried to smoke a cigar and follow along w a review, just havent been that successful yet with finding all the flavors. I really love good wine and spirits, with the help from my wife who grew up right outside of SF Bay. I have come along way with my wine palate. I hope to do the same with cigars!

I have compiled quit a list of to try cigars. I guess i just need to get started smokin! I would love to do a little trading and such, I just dont have the resources yet. I bought a 20ct humi before i discovered this place. I am in the process of getting a coolerdor together.

Thanks for all the advise! I look forward to discovering new tasty cigars!!!

Tim
Old 06-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Try El Rey del Mundo, Hoyo, and - if you like a little punch in your cigar, a Punch.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
Waynegro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglizard1 View Post
Just another idea, check out the newbie sampler trade thread in make a wish/pif thread. You can find some great new smokes that way.
Also, check the NC reviews, a good way to find new smokes to try that may intrigue you. find those reviews that match your tastes, and try those cigars. Or send me your address and I will send you a sampler! pm for details.

PIF's are a great way to get sticks that you may not otherwise try. Also there are many 'NC' reviews here: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13
Old 06-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #12
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Tim...defintely check out the Cigar Asylum Newbie Sampler Trade II.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14254
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
mrgto

I am going to St Thomas this next week for my sis-in-laws wedding. Hopefully i can come back with a few goodies duty free. I would like to do some newbie trading, i just need to get some more cigars before i can trade. I am working on a coolerdor right now, my 20ct humi just is not gonna cut it anymore. Thanks again for some suggestions, keep them coming!

Tim
Old 06-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #14
dubnick

I thought my 150 ct. would get me by... now have two and a cooler. and am working on a new project.

BTW, I always try something new @ the B & M. Also, I enjoy talking to the staff while having a smoke... usually learn a lot.

P.S. I'm a fan of most of the RP line, especially the Sun Grown's and Decades
Old 06-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #15
XTRazzer
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
XTRazzer is on a distinguished road

Your tastes seem similar to some of mine and some of guys at my B&M, so here's a few:

5 Vegas 'A'
5 Vegas Cask Strength II
Carlos Torano (can't seem to go wrong with any variety)
Excalibur 1066
Nording (by Rocky Patel)
Oliva (can't seem to go wrong with any variety)
Omar Ortez Originals
Perdomo Habano Corojo
Punch Gran Puro

Last edited by XTRazzer; 06-20-2009 at 07:33 PM.
XTRazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #16
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

I would decide first what you want to spend an then look at some samplers. For moderatley priced up,I would go to Cigars Interntional and if you want something higher end, go to Holts and look at samplers like the High Noon Sampler for Padron, Ashton, etc.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:14 AM   #17
Aldebaran

Oliva
CAO
Don Pepin Garcia
La Flor Dominicana

The last three companies make their cigars a bit strong.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #18
SmokinApe
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
SmokinApe has a spectacular aura aboutSmokinApe has a spectacular aura about

There are a bunch of folks in my neighborhood who could be considered "newbs" when it comes to smoking long-filler had made cigars. Here is what I recommend to them...
  1. Always buy cigars that have a reputation for being well constructed. You do not want; plugged cigars, crazy burning cigars or ones that unravel...
  2. Buy Cigars that have a good reputation on the boards or around the B&M...
  3. Cheap cigars are that cheap cigars. It doesn't mean you can't get a deal on good cigars, but the $20 bundles are generally terrible...
  4. When starting out you will be tempted to load up, find the balance between quality and quantity....
  5. Samplers are your friend. Go to CI and pick up some samplers, one I always recommend is "The Mother Load" It's just over 30 cigars, that have solid reputations, for 99$ about $2.75 a stick. Hunt around and you van find the code for free shipping. The Mother load, IMO is the best deal for a newb...
SmokinApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #19
Flat4boxer
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kelly
Montecristo Army (Retired)
Flat4boxer will become famous soon enough

I've found that if you go to a good B&M and tell the employees that your new to the cigar world, they will help you make some selections based on what you like. Or offer up some good suggestions for you.

I'm still fairly new to cigars and have only had one or two sticks that turned me off.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #20
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinApe View Post
[*]Samplers are your friend. Go to CI and pick up some samplers, one I always recommend is "The Mother Load" It's just over 30 cigars, that have solid reputations, for 99$ about $2.75 a stick. Hunt around and you van find the code for free shipping. The Mother load, IMO is the best deal for a newb...[/list]
Samplers are indeed your friend when starting out. Like the saying goes, variety is the spice of life.

Most here will appreciate you frequenting your B&M, and I suggest continuing to support them...with all of the legislation against smoking, they need your support, but...

A sister website to CI (CigarsInternational) is cigarbid <-link. When I started out I purchase a large percentage of my cigars from them. When bidding, if you decide to go that route, have three windows open. 1) cbid, 2) CI, and 3) CHIMP. Find something you want to bid on, compare your bid price to CI (make sure you're bidding below retail - I typically never bid more than 60-65% of CI's price) and lastly check CHIMP for a historical winning bid history for the product. CHIMP was created by one of the BOTL's here, and it's a great asset when updated.

Most of my purchases aren't through cbid anymore, but starting out I couldn't recommend a better site. Just be sure not to get carried away!

Have fun and enjoy.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote