Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
flat6nut

Default Save or Savor?

How do you pick out what cigar you are going to smoke?

Do you smoke whatever beckons you (no stick is safe)?
or
Do you stay away from your big money sticks (save for a special occasion)?

Just curious after reading a couple threads about "what cigar to smoke on this special day". I personally go by nothing is safe from the torch.

...and if you are saving something...whats stick and for what occasion?

Old 06-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Save or Savor?

I personally try to not save certain cigars - everything will get smoked. I may save them for a special occasion (a big herf, holiday, or just the right situation) but nothing is off limits. If you never smoke it than you will never know.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

I find I hang on to the higher end and any gifted sticks for those occasions when they can be savored.

I don't want to disrespct a gift by smoking it when I'm concentrating on something else, like golf or yard-work.

I think the Shack will see a lot of gifted and traded sticks getting a workout from me.

Last edited by 14holestogie; 06-07-2009 at 04:35 PM.
14holestogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
troutbreath
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
troutbreath is on a distinguished road

I think that just about anything is OK, but I do keep some sticks aside. I won't smoke an Opus while mowing, for instance. And there are some sticks that I try to put some age on, so they stay in the bottom of the box for a while.
troutbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I open the humi and whatever jumps out at me, I grab it and it gets lit. I do save a few special sticks for herfs, special occasions, etc. Have an Opus X and God of Fire that I am saving for "a rainy day". Not sure if they'll make it because they stare back every time I pop open the humi.
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
flat6nut

What about hiding your special occasion smokes? I think alot of people put their best sticks on the top shelf of their humi. That would really be a tease if every time you opened your humi and had to reach past the goodies.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I have the seven drawer charleston...so I keep them in the bottom drawer...but I KNOW they are there...hence the problem!!
Old 06-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat6nut View Post
How do you pick out what cigar you are going to smoke?

Do you smoke whatever beckons you (no stick is safe)? Yup
or
Do you stay away from your big money sticks (save for a special occasion)? Nope.

Just curious after reading a couple threads about "what cigar to smoke on this special day". I personally go by nothing is safe from the torch.

...and if you are saving something...whats stick and for what occasion?

A good cigar can make an occasion special.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
flat6nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I have the seven drawer charleston...so I keep them in the bottom drawer...but I KNOW they are there...hence the problem!!

Yes, I did a search for your humi after seeing it in your album. I like it alot!
Old 06-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
flat6nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
A good cigar can make an occasion special.
Exactly!
Old 06-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #11
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

I usualy smoke my cheaper stuff and save my more pricy things for bad/good days.

The opus and pan/pam are saved for birthdays and what not.

I have stuff that's saved merely fir aging.

And I have one Forbidden that's saved for when I graduate with my BA. If I get the opportunity to pick up another I will for when I get onto a police department.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #12
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Personally, since "great cigars" are not all that common for me I tend to save them for special occassions. BUT, then again, what determines a special occassion, isn't it the cigar

Well that answered helped no one, I'm sure.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #13
Cigary

I usually save a cigar esp. if it is a super premium smoke. I dont like them if they are just bought or have spent no time in the humidor. I like saving them for special occasions because it makes the occasion more memorable.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #14
Hitagain
Bomb'n relocation program

First Name: Allen
Trading: (7)
SCdlH
Hitagain is on a distinguished road

My only safe ones are 3 of the cigars I handed out for each of my daughters births.
1 for when they graduate, 1 for when they get married and 1 for the birth of the first grand child. They are nothing special but just sentimental. I enjoyed them when I got them I hope I enjoy them when they have 18+ years on them.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #15
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

I have a handful of cigars that I have no idea when I'll smoke them. Don't get me wrong, I will...but it hasn't occurred to me when yet. I'm sure it will be at a herf.

Other than those couple, everything is game.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #16
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (13)
poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough

I'll smoke whatever strikes me. I do have an opus X thats aged 2 years, that I manage to skip over fairly often, as I am "trying" to save it for a special occasion.
Scott

Bearded Dad Blog
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #17
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Unless I know I'm going to be rushed, I'll smoke whatever I'm craving at the moment.

If I get hit by a bus tomorrow, what good are those "special" sticks going to do me?
Old 06-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #18
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Good point Vin!! I'm looking both ways before I cross the street.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #19
big a
Feeling at Home

Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough

1. I pick the cigar depending on where it will be smoked and when. If it is at work i try to get the smaller sticks since time is limited. If it will be in the AM i go for something light and mild. if it is in the PM i often times find myself smoking something stronger and fuller.

2. I often find myself saving my special sticks and CC for a special occasion. I have this weird thing of liking to hold on to things that i treasure or find special. But that is not to say i woln't pick one of those sticks up on a random afternoon. Like they said ^^ if you don't smoke it you will never know what your missing.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #20
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

I always somke whatever I feel like. If I want a $30 smoke it goes up in smoke, or if I am in the mood for a $2 smoke that is what I grab. I quit saving stickes, because that special ocasion never seems to come.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote