Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about
Default Gas Leak Detectors - Question

Anybody have any experience with using these or own one? I want to test the lines in my home and the ones added to the generator outside. Sunbelt Rentals has one at $84 bucks a day - or Graingers has an inexpensive one to buy at about $76 bucks.

The one to rent would be like this model: 4EU11

The inexpensive to buy would be this model: 4GE83

I don't want to spend any more money than needed - but don't want to spend money on a model that won't work either. Sure it would be handy to have one around for occasional checking - but it won't see that much use.

Any thoughts - comments. Anyone local to me that wants to rent me one cheap -

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice
Default Re: Gas Leak Detectors - Question

Are you looking for leaks in a natural gas line or propane?
cuz' I use a really cheap and effective product called snoop. It is a soap solution in a squeeze bottle and you dribble a little on any fittings and a leak will bubble. I found this quickly on google http://www.scottecatalog.com/equipsp...8?OpenDocument and you should be able to get it at any hardware store or BBQ repair shop.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
darb85

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
Are you looking for leaks in a natural gas line or propane?
cuz' I use a really cheap and effective product called snoop. It is a soap solution in a squeeze bottle and you dribble a little on any fittings and a leak will bubble. I found this quickly on google http://www.scottecatalog.com/equipsp...8?OpenDocument and you should be able to get it at any hardware store or BBQ repair shop.
or just use dish soap in water. or any spray soap for that matter
Old 06-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
RGD.
God Like Status

RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
Are you looking for leaks in a natural gas line or propane?. . .
Natural gas. I already have several of those solutions - but a lot of the joints/connections are not that easy to inspect either due to location and/or type of connection.

Ron
Old 06-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

You can sniff till you're blue in the face and it doesn't tell you if you have a leak.
In order to test a system, you plug all the service connections (water heaters, stove, dryer, etc.) and pump up the system with a compressor.
That should have been done when everything was installed, it's code.
Then when the gas company turns on the gas, they do the same thing.
If you have a real fear of a leak, the LAST thing you should be doing is doing this yourself. If you're jut being paranoid, knock yourself out.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
RGD.
God Like Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
You can sniff till you're blue in the face and it doesn't tell you if you have a leak.
In order to test a system, you plug all the service connections (water heaters, stove, dryer, etc.) and pump up the system with a compressor.
If you have a real fear of a leak, the LAST thing you should be doing is doing this yourself. If you're jut being paranoid, knock yourself out.

Paranoid - No. Have 35 + years in construction - I just haven't done a boat load of gas.

This is a 1956 home, gas furnace and water heater. Last year I had a 17KW whole house generator installed which required 2lb service. I went with a split meter (Gas Company installed it) because I knew that the old pipes would not handle the pressure - and didn't want to install regulators on the furnace and heater. The system held pressure with zero loss on the 72 hour test (county code). But I swear I smell gas at times around the generator. So I tried solution testing but can't see everything (freaking bi-focals). Maybe it's just venting - don't know. Hence I thought I'd use a detector.

I have had two leaks before. On the age of our homes, the meters are actually inside the house. Both times were when they came in and upgraded the meters - their faults.

Ron
Old 06-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
dandaman

hey Ron, you can use a match, or soapy water. then I would use (permatex) just keep it off your hands, its a ***** to get off.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
Thaplumbr
Feeling at Home

First Name: Leroy
Trading: (58)
Montecristo
Thaplumbr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I agree with Scott, There is a product called big blue, you can find it at refrigeration supply houses, it lays on thick and will find very micro leaks, it kinda sticks to the pipe, joints, the hole sha bang a bang, it will form kinda a foam of bubbles at a very small leak, and blow larger bubbles at a big leak, also if you have a regulator at the generator, be sure to check the vent on the regulator itself, in the event that it may be bypassing the regulator.
sounds like you might wanna call a plumber friend....just my
Leroy
Old 06-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
scooter

If you use a liquid soap mixed with water a leak will show up even if it is very small.
If you do not want to go that way you can shut off all the valves at the appliances and clock the meter. There is a dial on the meter for this purpose. If you see movement on this dial after a minute, you have a leak in the line.
Those are the 2 ways that the utilities use for checking for leaks.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
Paranoid - No. Have 35 + years in construction - I just haven't done a boat load of gas.

This is a 1956 home, gas furnace and water heater. Last year I had a 17KW whole house generator installed which required 2lb service. I went with a split meter (Gas Company installed it) because I knew that the old pipes would not handle the pressure - and didn't want to install regulators on the furnace and heater. The system held pressure with zero loss on the 72 hour test (county code). But I swear I smell gas at times around the generator. So I tried solution testing but can't see everything (freaking bi-focals). Maybe it's just venting - don't know. Hence I thought I'd use a detector.

I have had two leaks before. On the age of our homes, the meters are actually inside the house. Both times were when they came in and upgraded the meters - their faults.

Ron
The regulator on the generator probably has a leaky diaphrapm and you can smell it at the vent hole.
Try cranking down the screws on the regulator.
Then spend some money and get some good help. I'd do it for you, and I know Leroy would, but we just ain't there.
The money ain't for the work, it's for the peace of mind.
It won't cost much to blank stuff off and test anyways. It's not but a day's work to go over everything with a fine tooth comb.
Get an old guy with a brain. They're hard to come by, but ask around.