Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 02-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #41
tobii3

Default Re: Michael Phelps likes to smoke...

Yeah, but if he played football or baseball it would be another story, of course.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:54 AM   #42
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
I agree that they can be role models, I've personally seen what guys like georges laraque, ward and others do for the less fortunite. But that's not because they're athletes. They're good people who happen to be good at a game. The two are not related
While it is not because they are athletes that they are good people, it is because they are athletes that allows them to be in the public eye and have a greater impact. Prime example, Lance Armstrong and his Live Strong campaign.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #43
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
just to ask, who do you consider to be a role model that is widely known?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
While it is not because they are athletes that they are good people, it is because they are athletes that allows them to be in the public eye and have a greater impact. Prime example, Lance Armstrong and his Live Strong campaign.
Bobby, add Lance Armstrong to my role model list.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:18 AM   #44
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

noted.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #45
bazookajoe

First Name: david
Trading: (72)
bazookajoe has disabled reputation

I wouldn't consider Lance Armstrong a role model - he admittedly got so caught up in his own celebrity that he decided domestic life with his wife and kids was too much of a bore so he went for something he found more exciting. I don't understand why our society constantly makes celebrities of people who do a good deed or accomplish something and then put those people on pedestals and fawn over them. It's our own fault for building such high expectations that they let us down at some point, and then the media attacks and picks their bones clean. I've seen few celebrities worthy of admiring but they are plenty of people in our neighborhoods that do good for others without the spotlight. We can use the good deeds or achievements of others (including celebrities) as examples of what can be accomplished, but idolizing them will in most cases lead to disappointment.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #46
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

This subject really bothers me at times.

While I agree some athletes can in fact be role models, we have got to stop that nonsense as a society.
Athletes are just that, athletes.
They can throw or catch balls. Whoopie. I bet I could do that too if I got millions.

Many of them are not and never will be role models.
My wife worked at a hotel property where all teams that played the NJ teams (meadowlands) stayed.
You have got to see the nonsense that went on with prostitutes in their rooms and so forth, while all being married.
You should see the way the treated kids seeking their autographs as they got on the bus to go to the game.
You should see how they treated the staff at the hotel, to include my wife.

Kids can't tell the difference who is and who is not a good role model. They idolize these people because of what they see them do on TV.
As such, why have them follow someone that may not end up being an ideal role model?
Sad indeed if I have to look up to someone who made the winning catch in the Super Bowl when I have a man such as my dad, that gave it all to come to America and provided for his family his whole life, never cheating on his wife, never doing any less than everything he possibly could to provide for us. That is a role model and that is what we need more of.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:50 AM   #47
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazookajoe View Post
I wouldn't consider Lance Armstrong a role model - he admittedly got so caught up in his own celebrity that he decided domestic life with his wife and kids was too much of a bore so he went for something he found more exciting. I don't understand why our society constantly makes celebrities of people who do a good deed or accomplish something and then put those people on pedestals and fawn over them. It's our own fault for building such high expectations that they let us down at some point, and then the media attacks and picks their bones clean. I've seen few celebrities worthy of admiring but they are plenty of people in our neighborhoods that do good for others without the spotlight. We can use the good deeds or achievements of others (including celebrities) as examples of what can be accomplished, but idolizing them will in most cases lead to disappointment.
I agree wholeheartedly.

None of the celebrities/athletes mentioned here are what I would consider role models. They are successful people in the limelight who happen to do some good. Their fame and notoriety doesn't make their positive character traits any more important than any other person.

Apologies to Carlos - To me, the man he mentioned is a hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post

Athletes as role models......what a joke!!!

Role model? Let's all post a picture of this guy on our bedroom walls for our kids.
Calm, cool, collected, and put his life on the line to make sure all were out of that plane first, before him. That is a role model!!!

OH!!! BTW, was just doing his job according to him.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #48
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
i agree wholeheartedly.

None of the celebrities/athletes mentioned here are what i would consider role models. They are successful people in the limelight who happen to do some good. Their fame and notoriety doesn't make their positive character traits any more important than any other person.
bingo!!!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #49
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Vince McMahon of WWF is a worthy role model. Never seen a more hand's on, hard working billionaire and I tip my hat to him (I don't watch wrestling at all).

I knew one of his daughters and he actually came to her apartment to help her move out. She worked a regular job while in college...
Old 02-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #50
ChINaMaN1472

Meh, so he's human. I don't see the big deal.

What's funny, is that whoever decided to make this a big deal is kind of endorsing smoking weed. He could've just buried and forget about it, but noooo he had to make a whole story around smoking weed. No publicity is bad publicity right? "Even 14 time Olympic Gold Medalist Michael Phelps smokes weed"
Old 02-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #51
ChicagoWhiteSox

Athletes are role models whether they want to be or not. Kids look up to players. Thats just the way it is. It doesnt matter if we think that kids shoudnt consider them role models. A kid playing little league baseball is going to have a MLB player he likes and follows. That player cant control whether or not he wants to be that kids role model. Cal Ripken Jr. addressed the issue of athletes and being role models at his Hall Of Fame Induction--"As years passed, it became clear to me that kids see all, not just some of your actions but all," Ripken said. "Whether we like or not, we big leaguers are role models. The only question is, will it be positive or will it be negative? Should we put players up on pedestals and require that they take responsibility? No. But we should encourage them to use their influence positively to help build up and develop the young people who follow the game. Sports can play a big role in teaching values and principles. Just think. Teamwork, leadership, work ethic and trust are all part of the game, and they are also all factors in what we make of our lives."
http://sportinsociety.blogspot.com/2...le-models.html

I think the point is that we cant force athletes to do the right thing, but we can encourage them to and let them know that they are role models. And i think most of them know that kids follow them. Even though they dont choose to be. Thats how it is. Thats just my opinion
Old 02-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #52
Stick
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (14)
SP
Stick has disabled reputation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMzdAZ3TjCA
Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #53
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick View Post
1. he was a role model because kids looked up to him
2. I agree, he gets paided to put points on the board
3. No, he shouldnt raise your kids, but if you let your kid watch him play, they will be influenced by him and the way he plays. He is charles barkley. I know kids looked up to him.
4. Barkley cant choose not to be a role model.
5. No one can force him to be a good role model or a bad one, its his choice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0AGiq9j_Ak
I dont agree with some of what MJ did in the later years, but that doesnt matter. He didnt choose to be a role model. He was a great player. Kids wanted to be great players. Some of what he did in the later years is his own responsibility.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #54
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Athletes are role models whether they want to be or not. Kids look up to players. Thats just the way it is. It doesnt matter if we think that kids shoudnt consider them role models. A kid playing little league baseball is going to have a MLB player he likes and follows. That player cant control whether or not he wants to be that kids role model.
I completely disagree.
One thing is to idolize a sports figure for being that, a sports figure.
Another thing is to have that person be your "role model".
For kids to be allowed to confuse the two terms is unacceptable.

My son was a die hard fan of Michael Jordan but I assure you, Michael Jordan was not his role model.

That's the way it is can't be accepted as that is the way it is. It is up to parenting to teach children what the difference between idolizing someone for their accomplishments in their sport in contrast to considering them a "role model". That latter term should be clearly defined and I bet dollars to donuts, kids will know the difference if properly taught. Mine, who are 25 and 21 did.

I alluded to the pilot earlier because what he did can be considered a "role model".
He didn't score a touchdown or a basket.
He saved lives.
He placed his life on the line to save others.
He was valiant to wait for all to exit and checked twice.
His actions warrant being a role model.
He illustrated composure and valor.
That is what I would teach my children.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #55
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
I completely disagree.
One thing is to idolize a sports figure for being that, a sports figure.
Another thing is to have that person be your "role model".

My son was a die hard fan of Michael Jordan but I assure you, Michael Jordan was not his role model.

That's the way it is can't be accepted as that is the way it is. It is up to parenting to teach children what the difference between idolizing someone for their accomplishments in their sport in contrast to considering them a "role model". That latter term should be clearly defined and I bet dollars to donuts, kids will know the difference if properly taught. Mine, who are 25 and 21 did.
The definition of a role model is a person whose behavior in a particular role is imitated by others. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/role+model
MJ was and still is a role model for kids. So was Barkley. And so is Phelps. It is the parents responsibility to teach there kids right from wrong. The parents have a responsibility to do that. Phelps worked hard, put in his time and effort and it paid off. He won all of those gold medals. Kids are looking at him and saying to themselves "if i can put effort in and work hard, it will pay off". I look at that as being a role model. But with the drug issue, that is where its the parents responsibility to teach right from wrong. They can pull the plug and tell their kids not to watch him anymore and explain why. Kids look up to people. And i think star players have the most pressure. They have the most light on them because they are good at what they do. They have worked hard and put in effort and it is paying off. Kids see these players doing well and want to do the same. I definately see your side Blueface and agree that parents should ultimatly be the role models. Some Athletes can be good role models for hard work and dedication.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #56
bazookajoe

First Name: david
Trading: (72)
bazookajoe has disabled reputation

Quote:
Athletes are role models whether they want to be or not. Kids look up to players. Thats just the way it is. It doesnt matter if we think that kids shoudnt consider them role models. A kid playing little league baseball is going to have a MLB player he likes and follows. That player cant control whether or not he wants to be that kids role model. Cal Ripken Jr. addressed the issue of athletes and being role models at his Hall Of Fame Induction--"As years passed, it became clear to me that kids see all, not just some of your actions but all," Ripken said. "Whether we like or not, we big leaguers are role models. The only question is, will it be positive or will it be negative? Should we put players up on pedestals and require that they take responsibility? No. But we should encourage them to use their influence positively to help build up and develop the young people who follow the game. Sports can play a big role in teaching values and principles. Just think. Teamwork, leadership, work ethic and trust are all part of the game, and they are also all factors in what we make of our lives."
http://sportinsociety.blogspot.com/2...le-models.html

I think the point is that we cant force athletes to do the right thing, but we can encourage them to and let them know that they are role models. And i think most of them know that kids follow them. Even though they dont choose to be. Thats how it is. Thats just my opinion
I agree that to some degree kids choose their own role models, but we're not helpless. Since society reinforces an unhealthy regard for celebrity, we as parents have to infuse some sense of proportion to help our kids mange their expectations. My kids know that it's ok to be in awe of and even try to emulate the accomplishments of their favorite athletes, but also that they're only people, far from perfect, and their personal lives are just as prone to missteps as anyone's. I have more confidence in my ability to help my kids deal with reality than I do in an athlete's ability to avoid temptation. Maybe they can't help being role models, but we can temper the extent of it with our kids.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #57
darb85

Im a swimmer, and a coach. I actually swam against phelps at a national level meet when I was 16. He whopped my ass. I talked to him for a bit and he was kinda a prick, great swimmer yes, but not that nice of a guy. I talked to him some years later when he first entered UofM at a meet and he still was a bit of an ass. Not role model material, and he his a kid like me. Indescretions or what ever, he did something wrong, stepped up and will probably take his licks. Theres something to be respected, but ive never seen him as a role model in the very least. However, when you live in the world we do and are a successful person, you need to live with a higher moral fiber than the rest of us. unfortunatly, people, espessially my 5-18 year olds look up to you, You need to act understanding that.

Partying? who cares, Getting photographed with a bong? probably not a good idea and with todays electroics, youve got to be even more careful.

well have a new thing to talk about tomarrow.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #58
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
I agree that to some degree kids choose their own role models, but we're not helpless. Since society reinforces an unhealthy regard for celebrity, we as parents have to infuse some sense of proportion to help our kids mange their expectations. My kids know that it's ok to be in awe of and even try to emulate the accomplishments of their favorite athletes, but also that they're only people, far from perfect, and their personal lives are just as prone to missteps as anyone's. I have more confidence in my ability to help my kids deal with reality than I do in an athlete's ability to avoid temptation. Maybe they can't help being role models, but we can temper the extent of it with our kids.
I agree 100%
Old 02-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #59
darb85

Quote:

Highly agree with my statement!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #60
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
The definition of a role model is a person whose behavior in a particular role is imitated by others. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/role+model
I think what we're debating is what constitutes a positive or preferred role model.

By the strict definition, drug addicts and pedophiles are role models, too.