Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
pmp

Default Re: Legend's rating system

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
There is a real danger with point scores. As already mentioned, they are objective to only one person and no one else. While in essence, taste preference is actually a very subjective thing. Thus we attempt to correlate two very different things and that never works.

What's the difference between a 91 point rated cigar and a 92 rated one?

1 point...

ha ha ha...sorry, somebody had to say it.

croatan, i disagree. I love quantifying my like or dislike for things based on point systems. Its like the ultimate in nerdiness. Graphs are cool. For example my current wife scores a 90. She gets high marks for her tidy housekeeping skills, bedroom wiles, and tolerance of me spending copious amounts of money on cigars. She loses marks however in the nagging me about stuff department. Now when I get divorced and remarried I will know just where she stood in the rankings....btw this is totally in jest. My wife would kill me if she read this.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
There is a real danger with point scores. As already mentioned, they are objective to only one person and no one else. While in essence, taste preference is actually a very subjective thing. Thus we attempt to correlate two very different things and that never works.

What's the difference between a 91 point rated cigar and a 92 rated one?
Isn't any rating system subjective, whether numerical or otherwise?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Subjective only in that any rating system is based on the taste of the particular person who is rating the cigar. At least that's what my momma always said.

MCS
Old 02-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
Subjective only in that any rating system is based on the taste of the particular person who is rating the cigar. At least that's what my momma always said.

MCS
Exactly....and taste is subjective.

I like you.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Did you see me say they are subjective? Taste is subjective, almost nothing save for math and physics is objective and even there we are dealing with some exceptions to rules.

I pointed out a number of times that any rating/review/observation is only valid for one and only one person.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Legend

Many thanks to the guys who gave props to the legend rating system. It is really meant as a subjective tool for me to give my impressions of a cigar for the benefit of my botl here. It is meant to be easy and memorable. To me its basically how we all rate cigars in our head. Even though a lot of guys here have said basically. Yuk. Good. great. We all still have those cigars which aren't exactly good (like the cremosa mentioned above) that are still ok because of the low cost as well as those smokes we really love. Therein lies the 5 points in number or word.

So if you find it helpful and/or useful great. If not. Then you know what I'm talking about when I review a stick. Win/win.

Legend will attempt to be more diligent in posting reviews. I've been lazy lately. Upcoming. El may whore (this names comes from how hard CI pimps them). Gurkha doble maduro. Gurkha blue steel. Gurkha beauty. Padilla obsidian. And la flor Dominica factory press III. And there is no dog rockets in that bunch one surprised me that it wasn't.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
TheRiddick
Non-believer

TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Legend,

I have no issues with your system or anyone else's. I did and do have an issue with anyone who claims "his system" is better than someone else's and then coming up with a "myth" to prop up the argument. Its never "better", simply different. That's all.

Rate cigars you smoke and enjoy in any which way, all I care to see is the actual description of the experience, score independent.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Legend,

I have no issues with your system or anyone else's. I did and do have an issue with anyone who claims "his system" is better than someone else's and then coming up with a "myth" to prop up the argument. Its never "better", simply different. That's all.

Rate cigars you smoke and enjoy in any which way, all I care to see is the actual description of the experience, score independent.
Sorry to hear you have issues. We all do.
Best to just deal with it and move on.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Sorry to hear you have issues. We all do.
Best to just deal with it and move on.
There is a number of legal cases now in (or past) courts against online posters stating either "myths" or non-factual data and courts are siding with the businesses who are filing the lawsuits, as they SHOULD. But its your board and your call, of course.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #10
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

let.it.go.com
Old 02-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
There is a number of legal cases now in (or past) courts against online posters stating either "myths" or non-factual data and courts are siding with the businesses who are filing the lawsuits, as they SHOULD. But its your board and your call, of course.
Da Klugs heard that Vin Diesel likes cremosas and peach white owls.

Just funnin. It's all good. Anyone is free to use whatever rating system they want. Given all of the good discussion on the topic, folks will place whatever weighting and adjustments they feel fit to based upon the circumstances. Personally, I've chosen to buy and or try many things based upon members smoking and posting thoughts within our community. An early lesson there is that we are all prejudiced by our inventory. One of the greatest things about our hobby is that the subject matter changes over time. One box of cigars smoked over a many year period can yield a surprisingly wide variety of results from just one reviewer.. be they numeric or descriptive. Another parallel is that the reviewers change over time as well. Add to that input from different smokers and you have the layered complexity of our little world. Helps put the "discussion" in cigar.... board.

Last edited by Da Klugs; 02-17-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Da Klugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #12
ahc4353

Al wonders what a butler's butler might think.

Last edited by ahc4353; 02-17-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #13
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
Al wonders what a butler's butler might think.

mmblz thinks the man behind the butler would approve of the use of the 3rd person but find the rating system lacking in its ability to talk about congeners...

Old 02-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #14
mcmoyer
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Michael
Trading: (25)
Navy (Served With Honor)
mcmoyer is on a distinguished road

Mike is confused as usual and wonders out loud WTF is going on....

Old 02-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #15
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmoyer View Post
Mike is confused as usual and wonders out loud WTF is going on....
VstromMark would tell you, but then he'd have to you-know-what and that would be bad
Old 02-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #16
Caymus
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ken
Trading: (0)
Caymus is on a distinguished road

I used to be in the wine industry (though at a much lesser level than TheRiddick) and used to write wine reviews for the catalogs and guides of a huge wine and liquor store chain. I've seen first-hand the impact that wine scores had on the consumer, from the eonophile to the non-drinker buying a present for someone. The prevalent thinking was "I can get this 87 rated wine for $14, but for just $5 more I can get an 88 rated wine !" I've also seen that abused, as crap direct-import labels were given ratings of 94 and 96 by the store itself, and people were buying that junk by the container "A 94 rated wine for only $3.99 ?! Give me a case !"

But ratings can be useful, especially if you identify a reviewer with whom you share a similar taste or mindset. For me, I tend to agree more with Wine Spectator than with Robert Parker. I'm a new cigar smoker, so I use everyone's ratings to get a general idea of what I might like to try. If I see the top rated cigar of the year in CA is only $6, then I'm going to run and try it. If I see one gets a rating of only 80, I probably won't unless I see some other people suggest that they liked it. Then I'll make up my own mind for my taste.

Ratings systems try to describe a relative level of quality. We do it with so many things...movies, hotels, athletes, internet models, companies (is the 11th best company to work for according to Forbes a better company for me than the 17th ranked one ?) and in the case of PMP, even our wives! (that was hilarious, PMP...I've begun to review my wife in the scope of assigning her a score).

I happen to enjoy reading everyone's cigar reviews on here (except the CC reviews...I'm naive...I guess I don't fully understand how everyone is getting them without worrying). I guess my point in this too-long post is that ratings can be highly interesting and informative, but are very subjective and should be considered accordingly.
Caymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #17
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

icehog's butt itches.

If icehog had a nickel for every time he was "going to be sued", icehog would have enough for a tube of butt itch cream.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #18
pmp

a turn for the odd
Old 02-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #19
Waynegro1

Waynegro1's head hurts. Waynegro1 need's a drink after reading every post in this thread.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #20
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

<-- reads for a while
<-- breaks out the shovel
<-- excavates an old thread

TheTraveler missed this one. See what happens when you take a break from the interent for a few months!