Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2009, 03:55 PM   #21
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Pacific....

I dont think anyone here is wrong. This began as an argument based on 1942-1945 (see posts above). That is why I purposefully put that in my post too. 37-42 was totally different. But post 1942, when the US got involeved this was a Japan/US war, the rest of the world was running on fumes. Although this just does not sound right, the Pacific war pales in comparison to the European ar in casulties. Why does it not sond right, well probably ~5 million died in the pacific war, that is a lot of people to still be the "smaller" casulty list.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #22
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampc22 View Post
what about the british forces thay were fighting the japanese there years before america joined the war in places like singapor borneo burma hong kong most of south east asia and even northern india
Sigh...has the world already forgotten the Battling Bastards of Bataan and Corregidor, who held off superior Japanese forces for over four months in 1941-42 and inflicted three times the casualties before being overrun?

The Russians actually had an earlier involvement in the Asian war that has been almost forgotten. In 1940(?), at Changkufeng and Nomonhan (high points on the Russian-Mongolian border) the Japanese Kwantung Army tangled with the Red Army, and at Nomonhan the Soviets (under the leadership of an obscure general named Georgi Zhukov) employed superior tanks and infantry tactics to kick the Japanese' ass inside out. It was the Japanese' first engagement with a modern opponent, a chance to learn and adopt their tactics...and instead they swept the whole thing under the rug.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #23
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloo View Post
Why does it not sond right, well probably ~5 million died in the pacific war, that is a lot of people to still be the "smaller" casulty list.
That is not right. Most conservative estimates put China at 3 million combat deaths and 25 million civilian deaths. Japan over two million causalities and half a million civilian deaths. Add in the US, Commonwealth, and Phillipino losses and you have a pretty hefty number.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #24
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

This is coming out in March! I can’t wait!

Linky
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #25
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

Gentlemen, my father (who is still alive) fought in the pacific in WWII and I'm pretty sure he'll tell ya it was a sh*t storm there just like over in Europe. To the men and women who were in the thick of it on the ground, on the water or in the air, the war was only as big as your/their eyes could see and it sucked no matter what part of the world they were in.
BTW, I too cannot wait for the new series to come out!
Old 01-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #26
JackSchwartz
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
JackSchwartz is on a distinguished road

I've read two of the books they say "The Pacific" series is partly based on. "Helmet for My Pillow" by Robert Leckie and "With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa" by Eugene Sledge. Both of them are excellent reads. I read Robert Leckie's book first which ended up being perfect because if you read both books back-to-back it kind of follows a chronological order. Leckie first entered the Pacific Theater at Guadalcanal and was done by the battle of Peleliu. Sledge started at Peleliu and was done after the battle of Okinawa.

I was on quite a WWII kick for a while. I read "Band of Brothers" along with the two books mentioned above right in a row. Then I moved on to a book called "The Marines of Autumn" by James Brady. This one is historical fiction about the Korean War.

I can't wait for "The Pacific" to start. Without taking anything away from the soldiers who fought in Europe, the battles in the Pacific were so brutal and savage I can't keep myself from wondering what this new series is going to look like. I've also watches Band of Brothers so many times I've lost count. If this Pacific series is even close to as good as Band of Brothers I'll be happy.

Eric
JackSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #27
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

I'd like to shake your father's hand, Kevin.

I can't wait till see this show.

jack I read the Sledge book...that's a really good read for any military or war buff.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #28
JackSchwartz
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
JackSchwartz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
I'd like to shake your father's hand, Kevin.

I can't wait till see this show.

jack I read the Sledge book...that's a really good read for any military or war buff.
I think the Sledge book is definitely an easier read compared to "Helmet for My Pillow". Sledge's book is set up in more of a memoir style. I've seen "Helmet" refered to as a sort of epic poem. The crappy thing is there are so few of both books in print that the price can be a little high for them. I picked up Band of Brothers, brand new, for something like $.98. The two books about the Pacific were around $10 or $12 each for new paperbacks. They were both well worth the pirce, however.
JackSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote