Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cuban Tobacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malazan View Post
My Service Manager where I work has some Cuban Montecristos and Cohibas. One of the salesmen got them in the Caribbean and brought them home. The boxes say Made in Cuba. I forget that only the US has the embargo and no other country gives a crap about where the cigars come from.
Never seen a legitimate box of Montes or Cohiba cigars that says "Made in Cuba".

"Hecho En Cuba" sure.

But even the counterfeits have that marked on them. The Caribbean is ripe with counterfeit cigar, so depending on where they came from they might or might not be legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malazan View Post
So Cuban seed cigars are grown somewhere else, just using seeds taken from Cuba back in the day?
Or even recently. Doesn't matter. 1st generation tobacco leaves, grown from Cuban seed, in another country, are not considered Cuban in origin and therefore are only bound by whatever trade agreements exist with that country.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
Malazan
Still Watching My Back

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
Malazan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Never seen a legitimate box of Montes or Cohiba cigars that says "Made in Cuba".

"Hecho En Cuba" sure.

But even the counterfeits have that marked on them. The Caribbean is ripe with counterfeit cigar, so depending on where they came from they might or might not be legit.

Or even recently. Doesn't matter. 1st generation tobacco leaves, grown from Cuban seed, in another country, are not considered Cuban in origin and therefore are only bound by whatever trade agreements exist with that country.
They do say Hecho en Cuba, I wrote Made in Cuba cause I'm a silly American
Old 03-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

I have heard some people say with authority that it does go the other way though. That Cuba imports tobacco from other countries and then rolls it into their cigars... one gut even said it was their #1 import..... not sure if that is legit info, anyone know?
Posted via Mobile Device
LostAbbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

If Cuba was importing tobacco I don't think that they would be able to keep it secret...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
If Cuba was importing tobacco I don't think that they would be able to keep it secret...
Couldn't have said it better.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
EXACTLY. Not only that, but think about how proud Cubans are?? To them, their tobacco is perfect... And to many others
Old 03-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
In the industry it ain't a secret anymore.

For example: Alejandro Robaina's son has a huge farm in Ecuador. He doesn't produce cigars, nobody buys his tobacco but it 'strangely' disappears every year.

Another example: The MC Open series don't even taste like a real Cuban.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
Alejandro Robaina's son has a huge farm in Ecuador. He doesn't produce cigars, nobody buys his tobacco but it 'strangely' disappears every year.
However...

In light of the facts that

1) the Robaina family specializes in wrapper leaf

and

2) Ecuador specializes in wrapper leaf

and

3) wrapper leaf, if anything, would be the product Cuba would, logically, be most likely to have a need to import,

it would be a fair assumption that the middle Senor Robaina's mystery Ecuadorian vega is producing wrapper leaf, yes?

If that's the case, where are the Cuban cigars with wrappers that look Ecuadorian and where are the Ecuadorian-wrapper-identified cigars with wrappers that look Cuban? I've seen some of each that look vaguely like each other, but nothing I think I'd have any risk of misidentifying.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Cuba is rife with tobacco. For them to import tobacco doesn't make a lot of sense, but it could happen. Tobacco crops are just like any other crops. They can have extremely bad years, or numbers of extremely bad years in a row.
Even at that, I can't see them importing anything but maybe a small amount to keep a particular blend correct. That's a very far-fetched idea, as tobaccos from other parts of the world just don't taste the same. That said, their blenders are the best in the world, true artists at what they do. If anyone could make use of another country's tobacco, it'd be them.
I could definately see them importing wrapper, being it's so tough to grow. They could easily fall short.
Despite all that, I still can't really imagine them importing any tobacco whatsoever.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
Reaver2145

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Cuba is rife with tobacco. For them to import tobacco doesn't make a lot of sense, but it could happen. Tobacco crops are just like any other crops. They can have extremely bad years, or numbers of extremely bad years in a row.
Even at that, I can't see them importing anything but maybe a small amount to keep a particular blend correct. That's a very far-fetched idea, as tobaccos from other parts of the world just don't taste the same. That said, their blenders are the best in the world, true artists at what they do. If anyone could make use of another country's tobacco, it'd be them.
I could definately see them importing wrapper, being it's so tough to grow. They could easily fall short.
Despite all that, I still can't really imagine them importing any tobacco whatsoever.
Some of there blenders are good some are just crap COUGH party E5/trinny short robusto COUGH but what you say about cuban and non cuban tobacco tasting completely different is correct and im sure we would of noticed the change in flavour if it was true.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver2145 View Post
Some of there blenders are good some are just crap COUGH party E5/trinny short robusto COUGH but what you say about cuban and non cuban tobacco tasting completely different is correct and im sure we would of noticed the change in flavour if it was true.
My point about blenders didn't have anything to do with a particular cigar. Personally, I don't like Partagas across the board. That has no bearing on what they do.
Here's a for instance...
I make spaghetti sauce every year. I make it from the same vegetables from the same seed from the same soil each and every year. I use the same recipe, same tools, same everything, yet every year the sauce tastes different.
When I say different, I don't mean a little different. I mean worlds different. If I gave you a jar of sauce from 2005 and 2008, you'd think I purposely made completely different sauce.
That difference is simply from the growing seasons and how it's expressed by my vegetables.
Blenders can't allow that wide variance in any marca. From one year to another the marca has to be very close to it's mean. They deal with the same ingredient inconsistancies I do, yet they're talented enough to overcome that and produce something, year to year, that's remarkably alike.
I can appreciate that talent because I can't do the same thing with my spaghetti sauce. Not even close. And I make damn good sauce.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #12
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
My point about blenders didn't have anything to do with a particular cigar. Personally, I don't like Partagas across the board. That has no bearing on what they do.
Here's a for instance...
I make spaghetti sauce every year. I make it from the same vegetables from the same seed from the same soil each and every year. I use the same recipe, same tools, same everything, yet every year the sauce tastes different.
When I say different, I don't mean a little different. I mean worlds different. If I gave you a jar of sauce from 2005 and 2008, you'd think I purposely made completely different sauce.
That difference is simply from the growing seasons and how it's expressed by my vegetables.
Blenders can't allow that wide variance in any marca. From one year to another the marca has to be very close to it's mean. They deal with the same ingredient inconsistancies I do, yet they're talented enough to overcome that and produce something, year to year, that's remarkably alike.
I can appreciate that talent because I can't do the same thing with my spaghetti sauce. Not even close. And I make damn good sauce.

Excellent point Scotty. Blending is an art. Getting a marca to taste like that marc from a natural product that has variances in the growing conditions (water, temperature, etc) is no easy task. Making a BBF taste like a BBF from 2007 tobacco, and 2012 tobacco is even more difficult.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Excellent point Scotty. Blending is an art. Getting a marca to taste like that marc from a natural product that has variances in the growing conditions (water, temperature, etc) is no easy task. Making a BBF taste like a BBF from 2007 tobacco, and 2012 tobacco is even more difficult.
The hell of it is that there's plenty of 2007's out there for people to call them on the 2012's. They can't slip, or the shelves will stack to the roof with BBF's. Or they'll just stick an EL Band on them and crank them out at twice the buck.
They really do have a "can't lose" product. Their tobacco is so remarkable and different that they can push every pound out the door.
They're only limited by the size of the growing region as to how much tobacco they can crank out.
You'd think, that after so many years, it really doesn't so much come down to the soil anymore. It's got to be about spent, at least to the point where they have to use fertilzers. Maybe not, I don't know the composition of their soil at all. Maybe that it's being volcanic in origin it breaks down very slowly and it'll remain viable for years to come. I'm sure that info isn't readily available.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #14
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

I would think many experienced botl's would notice as well, but with Habanos S.A. being a murkey quasi government company that recently reported completely bogus and uncheckable revenue and profit numbers it is really hard to know what they are doing or would do... I do not know enough about the making of a cigar to know if they could do it or not, and I also agree it would be a hard secret to keep...
Posted via Mobile Device
LostAbbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

There are also a few companies around the world that buy Cuban tobacco and roll their own cigars. One guy is here in Toronto, though not sure if he's still in business.
I also had someone bring me back this stick from Europe. Note though, that these cigars are little like authentic Habanos:
Old 03-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
srduggins
Feeling at Home

First Name: steve
Trading: (37)
LGC
srduggins will become famous soon enoughsrduggins will become famous soon enough

I thought he was serious, but then I just dismissed it as he didn't know what he was talking about. Something that I've been doing more and more lately.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
Sam Leccia
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Sam
Trading: (0)
Navy (Served With Honor)
Sam Leccia is on a distinguished road

Truth is you'd never know.

There is zero regulation in the industry. which can be good, and bad.

it's bad in the case that any manufacturer in any country and say whatever they want on it's packaging, whether we are talking about age numbers or tobacco origin or type.

it happens more often then it doesn't. All you know is what the manufacturers want you to know. It's quite different from the liquor industry which has bi-laws and regulation. Age statements and regions are 100% legit in the liquor industry. ex. Scotch must be made in Scotland from 100% malted barley, Tequilla must be made in the tequila region of mexico from aquave etc...

The cigar industry is free game.

it's true.
Sam Leccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #18
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Leccia View Post
Truth is you'd never know.

There is zero regulation in the industry. which can be good, and bad.

it's bad in the case that any manufacturer in any country and say whatever they want on it's packaging, whether we are talking about age numbers or tobacco origin or type.

it happens more often then it doesn't. All you know is what the manufacturers want you to know. It's quite different from the liquor industry which has bi-laws and regulation. Age statements and regions are 100% legit in the liquor industry. ex. Scotch must be made in Scotland from 100% malted barley, Tequilla must be made in the tequila region of mexico from aquave etc...
it's true.
Sam it's good to see you back.
Sam speaks the truth here. This is why there are so many cigars with claims of being "cuban when they are honduran, nicaraguan, or dominican. Or they make caims of being 12 years old.

The cigar industry is free game.
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #19
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

I'm not educated enough to add to the topic, but I am enjoying reading about it. Its always nice to learn things.
never_enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #20
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

This conversation reminds me of an interview with Don Pepin Garcia a few years back. When asked, "If you had free access to all the world's tobacco, what would you choose to use?" He answered, "The ligero leaf and the binder would be from Nicaragua, and the rest would be cuban." Maybe someone's using the recipe?

Also, do all the fake Cubans in Cuba get made with Cuban tobacco? Something to think about...