Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #21
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation
Default Re: A little stroke for UPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorhog View Post
I think that speaks to UPS's technology more than their manners
I definitely agree with you though, kids these days don't even say yes sir yes ma'am!
That's a pretty bad stereotype. I was not raised that way at all.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #22
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Wow, that's great to see that the oligopolistic shipping companies have some sort of semblance of customer service!
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #23
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
That's a pretty bad stereotype. I was not raised that way at all.
It's very obvious, Jordan. You've always been a pleasure, and it's VERY nice to see. My baby girl is very steeped in her manners and she brushes me up regularly (because I'm just as guilty as most, I suppose). My girlfriend's kids do very well, too.
It's not a lost art, Thank God. I didn't mean to give that impression, either.
I live in an area where the economy is very depressed (always was) and very few of the kids have two parents, or even one that's around much.
It definately shows. Especially in retail and in the restaurants.
I've been working with kids for years through coaching and groups and so forth. Kids really do love to learn manners. They think it's cool.
I've talked with my daughter Rebekah about it and for whatever reason she says they don't even bother with teaching or insisting on manners in school, for the most part. I imagine the battle just got too tough. I can't imagine a teacher has time to correct manners all day anymore and still get her lesson plan finished.
My last girlfriend, Kerri is a teacher. She and I have talked about it and she has had lots of success with the kids, and says they love to learn their manners and etiquette.
My stepmom was a teacher for about 30 years, and her take is the opposite of Kerri's and mine.

I work as a pipefitter foreman, have for lots and lots of years. I always tell my guys "There's always room for please and thank you, we're pipefitters, not savages." It is incredible how common courtesy affects the tone of a job. The guys are all happy, and it fosters a brotherly spirit. Keeps the griping and misery to a minimum, and the guys really enjoy each other.
When I hear one of my guys holler "give me that wrench", I say "please".
Usually they'll say to the guy, "Give me that wrench, motherf'er, please."
I wish you could hear how they say it. Always makes me laugh, I never get tired of it.