Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #21
saggel
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Spyros
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Served With Honor)
saggel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: iMac

Once you go Mac, you never go back. I love my macbook!!!
saggel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #22
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

What kind of hard core gaming is everyone saying the Mac can't handle? Which Mac?

I'm just curious because I use my MBPro and my G5 desktop for playing WOW and have never had any problems.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #23
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggel View Post
Once you go Mac, you never go back. I love my macbook!!!
Not true! I went macbook pro, and dropped it like a bad habit after 6 months.

Honestly do we need another "Should I buy a Mac" thread? All the macmaniacs are gonna jump on the thread and tell you they are great, and help you justify a decision you have probably already made.

Just go buy it.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #24
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
First thing: DON'T GET LINUX. Nothing wrong with it, but if you have to ask, the answer is always NO.

Now on to the fun stuff. Despite the obvious humor in the picture below, this is by far the most accurate way to describe things, and REALLY should guide your decision Christo. This post is a bit long because I tend to ramble, but I think you'll get the idea.

I'm not a hater of the fruit, I grew up on PCs and I worked in the photo & journalism industry for three years and used macs extensively during that time.

What I will tell you is this: It sounds like you should get a Mac. You would probably be pretty happy with Windows 7 (I won't discourage you), but it sounds like mac is the better way to go for you, based on the things that you have listed that you need the laptop for. You will pay a bit more than you should, BUT complaining about that is like complaining that you went to Saks Fifth Avenue and paid too much --> don't like it, shop elsewhere, you knew the price going in.

NOW that I've told you to get a mac and established that I'm not a hater.... I'll say that I will NEVER, EVER, under any circumstances, get a Mac for myself.

And here's where the fun begins.... to really evaluate the difference between a mac and a pc with as little bias as possible, you have to be honest with yourself, keep from being unnecessarily offended, and separate things out.

The analogy in the picture, if you can not be offended by it, is stunningly accurate. Ridding a motorcycle is not for everybody. If I asked a guy whether he was qualified and possessed the skills required to race a Ducati motorcycle at 150mph+, he would probably say no (although he sure as hell would want to!). This is not saying that he's stupid, its just saying that racing that thing requires a very specific skill set that many people do not have. Far too often in the mac versus pc debate, it becomes a matter of "well, you're just not smart enough to operate a PC". But this is not true. It has nothing to do with intelligence, so don't get offended!

It has everything to do with what YOU need and want, and whether you have the skills to do it. Racing a bike at 150mph is fun (for some)! BUT its NOT free! If you're not willing pay for regular maintenance on that bike, and get it tuned up and running properly, and put the time into learning how to ride it safely at 150mph, THEN you shouldn't own the bike!!!!

If you DON'T know how to ride a motorcycle or want to invest the time and money to keep it tuned at peak performance, and just want the damned thing to WORK every time you turn it on, then buy something that does what it's designed for. To switch to cars, I own and love my Jeep. I don't complain that's its slow, I relish that it has 4x4 and owns the road in the winter. If I wanted a fast zippy car, then I'd go buy a sports car, with the understanding that there was a trade-off in that I might have trouble the next time a snowplow came by.

OK, so I've said the same thing three or four different way and rambled on long enough... I think you get the idea. Two different products, two different uses & users, and a whole hell of a lot of people that can't understand that last bit without getting offended. I learned PC and learned it good. This required time, effort, and a few bruises & injuries along the way. As a result of that investment, I get to enjoy the performance of my 150mph supertuned (overclocked) Ducati, virus free and purring like a champ.

oh yeah, and , don't get the memory upgrade from Apple, get it separate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaKaacH View Post

Great post
Old 01-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #25
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
Not true! I went macbook pro, and dropped it like a bad habit after 6 months.

Honestly do we need another "Should I buy a Mac" thread? All the macmaniacs are gonna jump on the thread and tell you they are great, and help you justify a decision you have probably already made.

Just go buy it.
I'm a Mac user. Have been since 1986.
Mac's aren't the right computer for everyone.
Zealots are zealots and nothing anyone says is every going to change their minds. (Just look at the religious wars in the Middle East that have been going on for a few thousand years.)

So no, we don't need another "Should I buy a Mac" thread.
We need more "Should I buy that box of Pepins or that box of Padilla's" threads.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:29 PM   #26
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
I'm a Mac user. Have been since 1986.
Mac's aren't the right computer for everyone.
Zealots are zealots and nothing anyone says is every going to change their minds. (Just look at the religious wars in the Middle East that have been going on for a few thousand years.)

So no, we don't need another "Should I buy a Mac" thread.
We need more "Should I buy that box of Pepins or that box of Padilla's" threads.
I'll take the Pepins.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:17 AM   #27
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
I'll take the Pepins.
Yeah. That's what I leaning towards. I know they are more expensive and not as good for heavy game.... wait we're talking cigars or computers?

(BTW - sorry for your loss. Go Saints!)
Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #28
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAl View Post
The mini is great, may have expandability issues like the iMac, but those I know who are running them are happy
I have a Mini and love it! Doesn't take up room and I can add whatever I want to it!!! Screen size no problem... just add the one you want!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #29
Wanger

Quote:
Yeah. That's what I leaning towards. I know they are more expensive and not as good for heavy game.... wait we're talking cigars or computers?

(BTW - sorry for your loss. Go Saints!)
LOL

What loss? Was there a game or something?
Old 01-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #30
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
What kind of hard core gaming is everyone saying the Mac can't handle? Which Mac?

I'm just curious because I use my MBPro and my G5 desktop for playing WOW and have never had any problems.
I don't know that I would consider WOW that much of a graphically intensive game. If you try to play something like Crysis macs just don't have the video card to handle it
Old 01-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #31
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
I don't know that I would consider WOW that much of a graphically intensive game. If you try to play something like Crysis macs just don't have the video card to handle it
I probably still wouldn't have much of a problem because of how my macs are configured. When I work, I do graphic design so mine have been souped up some.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #32
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
I probably still wouldn't have much of a problem because of how my macs are configured. When I work, I do graphic design so mine have been souped up some.
maybe not, just Macs never got the reputation as gaming machines because most that game like to customize and build their own completely
Old 01-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #33
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

I have a question - can you get an imac and not use their wafe of a keyboard? I don't have midget hands so I was wondering, I like the mouse though
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #34
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post
I have a question - can you get an imac and not use their wafe of a keyboard? I don't have midget hands so I was wondering, I like the mouse though
Any USB keyboard will work, at least the basic functions of it.

I have average sized hands and really like the new keyboard but maybe that's because its so similar to my macbook.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #35
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

I also love apple keyboards, both my wireless one on the imac and the macbook ones.... but it is all about personal preference, and like stated any should work..... USB and if you have a bluetooth one that should work too.

Maybe try one out at the store and see if you like the new ones?
Old 01-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #36
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
Most PC's at the time Crysis came out couldn't even play Crysis well. My friend's Alienware crapped out on him around that time. He spent around $1500 on new guts for it and it still wouldn't play the game perfectly. Not a fair comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post
I have huge hands being, 6'4 and all, and I have no problem with my basic Mac keyboard. In fact, I prefer it because I don't have to here so much of the clickety-click from the raised buttons that I here with regular keyboards. There are a variety of different styles of third party keyboards for the Mac. You can also try one of the older Mac keyboards if you like the raised buttons.