Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
Darrell

Default Roku VOD box for Netflix

I was wondering if anyone is using the Roku Netflix streamer? If so, how do you like it? How is the Wi-Fi? I ask about Wi-Fi specifically because I want it in my garage. My laptop works fine out here for streaming movies, so I assume it will work.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
GoatLocker
Dr of Quantum Inebrionics

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Cohiba Navy (Active)
GoatLocker has disabled reputation
Default Re: Roku VOD box for Netflix

I like mine. The selection on netflix is pretty slim, but it adds some additional content above the "3 at a time" plan I have. I have not tried the Wi-Fi yet, as I had an extra network jack in my TV stand. HD content is a step up from DVD quality, the SD similar to DVD. Sound is OK, but I don't think netflix is streaming any souround formats yet, just stereo.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post
I like mine. The selection on netflix is pretty slim, but it adds some additional content above the "3 at a time" plan I have. I have not tried the Wi-Fi yet, as I had an extra network jack in my TV stand. HD content is a step up from DVD quality, the SD similar to DVD. Sound is OK, but I don't think netflix is streaming any souround formats yet, just stereo.
Neat. Havent't followed the developent in a few years so I didn't realize that Wood & Netflix had finally enabled HD to the Roku.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

It's awesome, tons of content (movies and TV shows like The Office, 30 Rock, Deadliest Catch, and many more), fast loading. Cons are that you have to use a computer to access your queue to search for and add new content.

If you have wireless N you might want to go with the upgraded model that has N for the extended range.

I also have a Blu-ray player with Netflix built in.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post
I've never heard that before...where did you see that?

From CNet:

Video streaming to the Roku box is available on an unlimited basis to any Netflix subscriber on plans of $9 per month (one-disc-at-a-time) or greater. (Netflix says it's examining streaming-only pricing plans that would presumably be a bit cheaper.) And remember, of course, that anything you can't stream is still available to be mailed to you on DVD or Blu-ray within a day or two.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
I've never heard that before...where did you see that?

From CNet:

Video streaming to the Roku box is available on an unlimited basis to any Netflix subscriber on plans of $9 per month (one-disc-at-a-time) or greater. (Netflix says it's examining streaming-only pricing plans that would presumably be a bit cheaper.) And remember, of course, that anything you can't stream is still available to be mailed to you on DVD or Blu-ray within a day or two.
I think what the good Master Chief was saying is that it gives him more options for stuff to watch without having to worry about waiting for a DVD to arrive.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:58 AM   #7
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I think what the good Master Chief was saying is that it gives him more options for stuff to watch without having to worry about waiting for a DVD to arrive.

Ahhhhhhh. Roger that.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I have had one of the Roku boxes for about six months. It is really convenient and you are not limited to Netflix. It will also download from Amazon.

My only peeve with the box is that the FF and REW functions are a little clumsy.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
GoatLocker
Dr of Quantum Inebrionics

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Cohiba Navy (Active)
GoatLocker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
That is what I meant, but there are a few titles that are available via streaming only. Mostly old/obscure stuff that was never released on DVD...
Old 01-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #10
mariogolbee

I've been enjoying the streaming movies from Netflix for a couple of weeks now. I just use my 360 and can access my Que or browse from there. It seems to give me a better picture than my netbook or Mac too. I'm not sure how much this Roku box is but I know you have a 360. If you want it in the garage you may want to consider another 360 as an option. You can get them used for a pretty good price. In fact, I think RP guy's may still be up for sale in the WTS section.