Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-01-2009, 03:56 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Don Lino Africa kifaro

A safari to the Serengeti plains inspired Nestor Miranda to make this Don Lino Africa, a cigar made from Nicaraguan, Dominican and African tobacco and all the artwork is inspired by African art. The cigars come in the most beautiful humidor style boxes with African prints and can be bought online for little over 100 dollars per box of 25.

The kifaro is the torpedo from Don Lino Africa, and is has a size of 6 1/4 inch with a 52 ring. The cigar is packed in cellophane. The beautiful dark & oily wrapper only has a few minor veins. The construction is great which causes a great predraw that leaves a peppery raisin flavor on my palate. The cigar has a nice barnyard and hay aroma.

I can taste a 'war' coffee flavor, quite full and mild spicy, but the spiciness picks up quickly, and soon a herbal flavor joins the cigar. After half an inch I suddenly taste some liquorice for a brief moment. The herbal flavor grows a bit in strength and I can also taste some toast. The toast is slowly replacing the coffee.

Halfway all I taste are herbs with toast and a fresh minty aftertaste, although the mint disappears and makes place for a pepper on the tongue. At the 2/3rd mark some nuts join the herbal toast. The aftertaste is herbal, and after purging the cigar the nuts and toast are gone.

The volume and the thickness of the white smoke is medium. The ash is medium gray colored and quite firm. The burn is straight and I would rate this cigar (very) full flavored and medium/full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? Oh yeah, this is a very fine stick, one of my favorites.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Aroma (first part) 8 / 10
Old 12-01-2009, 04:03 AM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Don Lino Africa kifaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
A safari to the Serengeti plains inspired Nestor Miranda to make this Don Lino Africa, a cigar made from Nicaraguan, Dominican and African tobacco and all the artwork is inspired by African art. The cigars come in the most beautiful humidor style boxes with African prints and can be bought online for little over 100 dollars per box of 25.

The kifaro is the torpedo from Don Lino Africa, and is has a size of 6 1/4 inch with a 52 ring. The cigar is packed in cellophane. The beautiful dark & oily wrapper only has a few minor veins. The construction is great which causes a great predraw that leaves a peppery raisin flavor on my palate. The cigar has a nice barnyard and hay aroma.

I can taste a 'war' coffee flavor, quite full and mild spicy, but the spiciness picks up quickly, and soon a herbal flavor joins the cigar. After half an inch I suddenly taste some liquorice for a brief moment. The herbal flavor grows a bit in strength and I can also taste some toast. The toast is slowly replacing the coffee.

Halfway all I taste are herbs with toast and a fresh minty aftertaste, although the mint disappears and makes place for a pepper on the tongue. At the 2/3rd mark some nuts join the herbal toast. The aftertaste is herbal, and after purging the cigar the nuts and toast are gone.

The volume and the thickness of the white smoke is medium. The ash is medium gray colored and quite firm. The burn is straight and I would rate this cigar (very) full flavored and medium/full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? Oh yeah, this is a very fine stick, one of my favorites.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Aroma (first part) 8 / 10
Great Review, Ferdie! Keep Them Coming! I Bought Several Tins Of The Don Lino Africa In The Smaller RG & Passed Them Out At The Fl. Herf. I Really Like This Stick As Well. What Is Your Favorite vitola in the Line?
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:08 AM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I really like the robusto sized vitola in this line. Nice review Ferdie!!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:09 AM   #4
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I only smoked the Duma and the Kifaro, they are both great.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:14 AM   #5
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Do You Two Believe In Resting These Awhile Or Smoke 'em ROTT?
Old 12-01-2009, 04:17 AM   #6
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

I smoked them ROTT, in a few months I can tell you if resting makes a difference.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:19 AM   #7
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
I smoked them ROTT, in a few months I can tell you if resting makes a difference.
Thanks, My Brother!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:26 AM   #8
tenbaseg
Saying no to daily deals!

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (40)
tenbaseg will become famous soon enoughtenbaseg will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review. These are great smokes which can be had for a nice price at the devil site. I've had a few different sizes and haven't been disappointed yet.
tenbaseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:26 AM   #9
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

Love every vitola in this line.

luv em luv em luv em.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:35 AM   #10
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I like these a lot too (I've smoked the Duma). I've found that resting them too long - more than a year - can mellow them a lot and cause them to lose some of the full flavors that I like. YMMV
Old 12-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #11
G G
BR549

Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Nice review.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:56 AM   #12
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
Nice review.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #13
darkninja67

Thanks for the review. That wrapper looks gorgeous. Definitely need to try these soon.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #14
roughrider
Feeling at Home

roughrider is on a distinguished road

I've smoked the Salomon size and found it to be a nice solid cigar.
roughrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #15
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

RA

Excellent to see the Africa getting some good feedback.