Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 10-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Breast Cancer waste?

Anybody get the feeling a big NFL check for a million dollars for Breast cancer research would have been better spent money
than a million dollars worth of hats, shirts, wristbands, cheerleader poms, towels, cups, gloves, and who knows what else?
Helmet stickers, banners, field chalk and maybe the towels would have been fine.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Breast Cancer waste?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Had to look it up, Brad, as I wasn't sure what you were talking about. Got it now.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Anybody get the feeling a big NFL check for a million dollars for Breast cancer research would have been better spent money
than a million dollars worth of hats, shirts, wristbands, cheerleader poms, towels, cups, gloves, and who knows what else?
Helmet stickers, banners, field chalk and maybe the towels would have been fine.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

MLB does this too. They have one or two games where they all wear ribbons and use pink bats and sweat bands. I'm with you OLS, I think the money would be better spent just given to research.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Maybe they will auction off some game worn items?
Old 10-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

All items will be auctioned off at NFL.com. Baseball does the same thing by the auction. I believe the auction or the couple of million is a wash, but it is the awareness with the money, that can make a difference and maybe save lives.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

I know around here, the pink Eagles jerseys and hats are big sellers to the woman andd young girls fans. I'm pretty sure all proceeds for these items go towards research.

I'm guessing they did their homework and know what generates more money for the cause.

yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Me thinks the typical NFL-watcher, doesn;t think a lot about breast cancer. So, if this gets some guys to think about it, contribute something, seems worth the effort to me.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPmark View Post
All items will be auctioned off at NFL.com. Baseball does the same thing by the auction. I believe the auction or the couple of million is a wash, but it is the awareness with the money, that can make a difference and maybe save lives.
That certainly sheds a positive light on it, I sure support the cause just like seeing money for research that might lead to a prevention or cure.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:19 AM   #10
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
That certainly sheds a positive light on it, I sure support the cause just like seeing money for research that might lead to a prevention or cure.
Sometimes you need to spend money to make money. The auctions and fan contributions that the pink reminder generated hopefully will more than make up for what was spent creating the pink items.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:53 AM   #11
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

After thinking about it during the day I realized that they would probably
be selling the stuff later, and that makes more sense now to maximize the possibilities.
In that case, my new complaint is "there wasn't NEARLY enough pink crap out there."

But my initial complaint WAS about spending money to make money. Far too many
charities spend SO MUCH money on promotion that the cause often gets a smaller cut
than the publicity companies, the venues, the magazines, the printers, etc.
But I guess you can't take that part out of the equation. Still, I give to charities
that do not have a big profile. That and St. Jude.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #12
VTDragon
Feeling at Home

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
VTDragon is on a distinguished road

It's about AWARENESS. If one football fan suggests to encourages his reluctant wife or girlfiend that she get screened for Breast Cancer and her life is saved the whole effort is worthwhile

An expert is a person who knows enough about what's really going on ... to be scared.
VTDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #13
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

I'd buy a Pink Panthers Jersey!

Gary, you barely beat me to it.
AWARENESS is paramount.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #14
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTDragon View Post
It's about AWARENESS. . .

That said - I participate in several bowling tournaments a year that are for Breast Cancer. Hats, coffee cups, stickers, teddy bears, etc etc are all given away or won during these events. I have on my desk here a specially designed Waterford candy bowl (has the pink ribbon design inlays in it) that I got for 8 strikes in a row.

Every single item given away is "purchased" through a Susan G. Komen foundation. So all the money spent to promote the awareness of the cause gets back in some way. I'm sure it works in a similar manner at the major league sporting events due to licensing and such.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #15
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTDragon View Post
It's about AWARENESS. . .

That said - I participate in several bowling tournaments a year that are for Breast Cancer. Hats, coffee cups, stickers, teddy bears, etc etc are all given away or won during these events. I have on my desk here a specially designed Waterford candy bowl (has the pink ribbon design inlays in it) that I got for 8 strikes in a row.

Every single item given away is "purchased" through a Susan G. Komen foundation. So all the money spent to promote the awareness of the cause gets back in some way. I'm sure it works in a similar manner at the major league sporting events due to licensing and such.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote