Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #21
Resipsa

Default Re: Job seekers do NOT read job postings. [Rant]

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme_timd View Post

Some of the more memorable resumes:

- To one up the notebook paper... hand written on a brown paper bag and faxed in.
And how exactly does one tell that someone wrote their resume on a brown paper bag when it was faxed in??
Old 09-15-2009, 05:31 PM   #22
itsme_timd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tim
Trading: (3)
ERdM
itsme_timd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
And how exactly does one tell that someone wrote their resume on a brown paper bag when it was faxed in??
It was a lunchbag size, when the resume came through you could see the outline of the bag on the fax!
itsme_timd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #23
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
While I commiserate with you, they are only doing what they are told to do by headhunting "experts". The modus operandi today is to let an employer disqualify you, don't disqualify yourself. And personally I've reviewed
resumes from people who may not be the right fit for us, but I know somebody who is looking for that exact skill set, and I just help them out by getting it in the hands of the right peeps
people are dying to get jobs,exercise some patience, you never know when it will be your turn, Craig RN.( I got my eye on you).

Last edited by Scottw; 09-15-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #24
Resipsa

Quote:
It was a lunchbag size, when the resume came through you could see the outline of the bag on the fax!
did he write "brown" on it so you knew the color of the bag as well?,
Old 09-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #25
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Quote:
One guy listed his email address as luv2gethigh@soandso.com... Rather than getting a new email address he added a note that he no longer gets high. Awesome.
That is classic!
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #26
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsmokin View Post
Rant on.

I am fortunate enough to be expanding my business. I currently have an employment advertisement running. It has very specific requirements listed. I would say 70% of the resumes I receive do not even have any experience in the field I am advertising for. I know times are tough and people are willing to do any kind of work, but if a job requires a specific skill set or license and you do not posses that skill set or license what makes you think I will hire you? Aw, what the heck, just send the resume, you never know? Right? Maybe they will think my experience at the makeup counter is what they are looking for, right? Wrong. FWIW worth, it's always this way, good times or bad. Too many unqualified applicants.

End of rant.
Sorry Craig...sheesh..all I wanted was a chance to work for someone who smokes cigars...No need to make it all public.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #27
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
Sorry Craig...sheesh..all I wanted was a chance to work for someone who smokes cigars...No need to make it all public.
Bao is a champ at the makeup counter and he is a world class break dance instructor. I'd hire him in a minute.
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #28
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
Bao is a champ at the makeup counter and he is a world class break dance instructor. I'd hire him in a minute.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #29
GoodFella
out to sea

Trading: (7)
ERdM AirForce (Active)
GoodFella has disabled reputation

we are looking for people to work. only thing they have to do is breath. we cant even get that
Old 09-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #30
gui_tarzan

I left a job 15 years ago that I would still be at today if I had stayed. Why did I do that? Stress. Lots and lots of stress. I even took a pay cut and fewer hours on a chance that the new job would work out and fortunately for me it did; I've been there 15 years next month. I was over-qualified at the time but it was a brand new position and we both knew it was an experiment at the time. Now you need a BS to even get looked at for this type of job but I had five years of experience then so they didn't bother with that requirement at the time.

Since then I've only put out two resumes and got an offer on the first try. I couldn't take it though, something in my gut said to stay where I am and it worked out for the best. I had three places locally call me over the years to ask if I would interview there, which I did, but I had to turn their offers down because of the stress that would have been at those jobs. The second resume I submitted just a couple of years ago was rejected not for lack of (or too much) experience, but I didn't have a degree. WTF??? Eighteen years (at the time) of mid/upper level IT experience and you still require a degree??? Fine. So I went back to school and will graduate with a BS in 2011. I hope it's worth it financially 'cause it's NOT cheap!

My point is there are employers that won't hire you for many reasons and right now the crop is overflowing so they can afford to be very particular. At the same time, it's shocking to see how many badly written resumes are floating around out there. Proper grammar and spelling seems to have gone by the wayside.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #31
wrench turner 85
I'm the Ocho Cinco!

Trading: (0)
Partagas
wrench turner 85 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
I agree with Vic but people just don't read anymore. We have signs posted all around and in the humidor about what NOT to do and almost everyone does what we ask them not too. Same goes for the lighter shelf. We have a sign that says not to strike the lighters unless you plan on purchasing one. What do they do, strike the lighters. They are like kids and chimps. They have to touch everything.
that remind's me greg I need to pick up every sigle tat at the shop and and lick them.