Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough
Default ? for window knower abouters

So with the $1500 tax credit now available to replace my windows, which I was going to do anyway, I've got a couple of questions for those more knowledgeable than me. If I buy the windows before June 1st the windows only have to Energy Star certified. After June 1st they have to meet more stringent requirements and have a U factor less than or equal to .30 and an SHGC factor of the same.

My question is this. How much more efficient, and expensive, are windows that meet the more stringent requirements? Is it worth it to get them, or am I better off simply with Energy Star certified windows?

And keep in mind that I live in St Pete, FL.

I'll hang up and listen.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

Trading: (5)
Rabidsquirrel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ? for window knower abouters

Something to keep in mind about bay windows if you get them. If they are custom built with each window having a .30 rating they will meet the requirements for the credit.

The problem with most bay windows is manufacturers rarely cough up the U factor willingly on the pre-assembled units.
Rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
rizzle
Order Restored

Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Nobody?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Halfway through the first post I realized you weren't referring to Microsoft Windows. LOL duh me.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
rizzle
Order Restored

Bolivar

I hear ya Kelly. If it had of been a computer related question the thread would be 4 pages by now.

I just figured we have people from all walks of life on here and I see things being built all the time, thought somebody would know a thing or two about windows. I'm gonna start calling for bids today. I guess I'll have to figure out who is BS'ing me and who isn't.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
BigAl_SC
The last mango in Paris

First Name: Alan
Trading: (7)
Trinidad
BigAl_SC is on a distinguished road

////Hijack//// While we are asking, if you have to replace both your air conditioners, Can you qualify for two $1500 credits? Found out yesterday that one of mine is gone. \\\\Hijack\\\\

We now return you to the original thread....
Old 05-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Knowing very little to nothing at all, the thermal ratings/energy efficiency are really a heat transfer "score"? and as such by making them more stringent that should lower the amount of heat/cold lost from the home and prevent the outside from coming in. In saying all this I would probably go about looking back to the older specification, seeing what the total differential is between the two (say 10% improvement) then look at your utilities to see what they payback would be. Keep in mind that unless most of your house is made up of the windows then you will not see a 1:1 correlation of savings. I may be totally off base too but that is how I would probably go about approaching it.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote