Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation
Default Plugged Cigars???

Ok - the last week has been a serious run of plugged cigars from many different locations. Tonight I tossed a AF Chateau Fuente SG. A jet engine could not have sucked air through that stick. $7 blown in a 1/4"... Is it possible to be doing something that would plug them or just my run of luck. I'm at 65%, maybe even a tad less. This is getting old and $$$ fast.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

First Name: Christian
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tenor CS will become famous soon enoughTenor CS will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Plugged Cigars???

I am in the same situation. I had a Seijas that was plugged beyond hope. And tonight I ditched a Partagas black that was plugged too. Shame, it had over a year of age on it.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenor CS View Post
I am in the same situation. I had a Seijas that was plugged beyond hope. And tonight I ditched a Partagas black that was plugged too. Shame, it had over a year of age on it.
Those Partagas' are a pain but I love 'em, but, they do seem to have a tendency to plug.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

I bought 3 SLR Serie G maduros from 3 different B&M's and all 3 were plugged. i feel your pain about bein bitter about losin the $.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:44 AM   #5
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I had a run of plugged sticks a couple of weeks ago. That spurred me to order a draw tool from brother groogs. I haven't gotten mine yet as he was making a new batch, but I am excited to get it.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:51 AM   #6
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Try this Michael-

-test your hydrometer to make sure it's reading correctly
-straighten out a paper clip and use it like a ram-rod to open up the cigar

That's all I've got man. Hope you get it figured out.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:07 AM   #7
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

Well, I'm sorry to hear that I am not alone, but also still pissed. If I wanted a shitty cigar I would pay .75 and get a Phillie peach, etc. As with anything handmade, I do not expect perfection, but damn, this is getting unreal. I even hit one with a small shish ka bob skewer yesterday and it still wasn't smokable.

I hope we have better luck this week.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

I use a Draw-Poker when I run into these problems. Sometimes it helps, other times not so much.

Try leaving the poker in for an extended period along with dry boxing. Sometimes has a good result.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:58 AM   #9
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

AF cigars in general are rolled a little on the tight side bro. Never had one plug, but thay are usually tight.

I did ATTEMPT to smoke my first PLUGGED RP Sun Grown on Sat. Had to toss is after 1/8 of an inch.

Oliva cigars are always good for an effortless draw.....
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

I have hit a number of what I called plugged cigars lately and have been told that there is a difference between plugged and over-tight. One would need a draw tool to fix as there is a physical obstruction that you might be able to poke through, but the other might be fixed through dry boxing. The theory is that they might smoke better if they are allowed to dry up. I just put 5 SC El Principes that have been tight to the point of unsmokeable in a dry box to see what they will be like over the next week or so. Today is the second full day in the dry box and I will smoke one tonight when I get home. They have been kept around 60-63% RH, the dry box is showing around 31%.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:15 AM   #11
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

I might have to consider the dry boxing, but I have to. If a brand or line in a brand continues to be either over tight or plugged they lose my business. I shouldn't have to work to make what is supposed too be relaxing, be the way it should have been when purchased.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Any problems I've had with cigars from a B&M they have gladly exchanged them. It cannot hurt to try. Local JR pretty much exchanges everything. Some guy bought a 5'er went out to his car and used a pocket knife to slice the pack open. In the process he sliced one of the cigars and they exchanged the whole pack for him.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Try a draw poker. I had to resort to a paper clip the other night and it worked decently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
I might have to consider the dry boxing, but I have to. If a brand or line in a brand continues to be either over tight or plugged they lose my business. I shouldn't have to work to make what is supposed too be relaxing, be the way it should have been when purchased.
I prefer to dry box my cigars before I smoke them. I also test the draw before lighting up and if it doesn't draw well, then it gets more dry boxing.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #14
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Paper clips work wonders :-)
Old 03-31-2009, 06:22 AM   #15
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

what causes a plug? I had one a couple weeks ago on a Series 'A'... I was disappointed. It clogged up in the first 1/4" like others have said. I even tried cutting it in half to try to solve it, but couldnt find the "plug" ...
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:37 AM   #16
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
I use a Draw-Poker when I run into these problems. Sometimes it helps, other times not so much.

Try leaving the poker in for an extended period along with dry boxing. Sometimes has a good result.

I use a Draw Poker as well and I usually put a couple of "pokes" into the cigar if it is really plugged. Just rotate the cigar a few times and keep putting the rod all the way thru,,,it makes enough of a hole and to test it just purge the cigar before lighting and see how much air you can either blow thru or suck in. Light and enjoy!!