Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Persistence pays off

I posted this on my facebook page cause I thought it might help someone. I figure most of us on CA would do this anyway, but if it can help someone then I decided to post it here too:

Three years ago I bought an AT&T microcell. A microcell is a device that you use for cell service at your house when you don't have cell towers nearby. It routes you through the internet and transmits a 3g signal about 100 feet. The cost was $149 with a $50 rebate. The first one lasted about 8 months then stopped working. Went t...o the store where I bought it (Lake City) and since it was under warranty they gave me a new one. They come with a one year warranty but when you return one you only get the remainder of the original one year warranty, so the second one only had around 4 months warranty left. The second one worked great for 2.5 years until a few weeks ago. I called customer service yesterday and explained what was going on, I also explained that I had been a customer since they were called Cingular and didn't think it was fair that their devices are only lasting an average of 1.5 years and asked if there were any promotions or discounts on them since I couldn't afford to pay the regular price of $199.00. They transferred me to tech support and they made me do all the stuff they do, resetting and all that stuff, then said that I was right is wasn't working right and it was the device and not the network.

The tech person said that there weren't any promotions or discounts and to get a new one it would cost the full price of $199.00. Now I have learned that you NEVER take the first persons word for something with AT&T so I waited a few hours and called back. Explained to the lady what had happened and told her I just wanted to double check the info I had received earlier and make sure they told me the right thing. She said she wanted to check some things so she put me on hold for a couple minutes, came back and said that she couldn't find a way to get it cheaper for me, BUT she wanted to transfer me to another department that can sometimes do more. Another lady came on the line and I explained it to her and she wanted me to do the same things as before with the microcell, I told her I wasn't home as I was at a doctors appt. with my dad, and I could call back once I got home if she needed me to, but that I have already done all that with the first person I talked to this morning. She says okay that won't be necessary since I have already talked to three people without them being able to resolve this problem she was going to warranty cover it even though it was 2.5 years old and do I want the new one to be sent to the address on the account. So I will have a new one on Monday.

Just wrote all that because I have had several times over the years where it seemed like AT&T wasn't able to do anything to help when I called the first time, but I ALWAYS call back 2 or more times because you ALWAYS get more than one story with different people there and rarely does the first one get it right. I wanted to let people know that you have to be persistent with them and they WILL usually fix your problem, especially if you are a longtime customer. The last time I had an issue I had to post a thread in the AT&T customer forum about how upset I was and had received 6 different stories from 7 customer service reps, and a person from AT&T called me and within 10 minutes fixed my issue and saved me over $500 in the process.

So call back if you have to is what I am saying.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Persistence pays off

Good to hear that things worked out for you, Greg!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Great tip!
Old 08-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Good info.
But a sad statement of customer service at AT&T (and virtually everywhere else for that matter) that you have to call back so many times and get different info each time you call.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Very nice! Kinda sad that you need to be a squeaky wheel to get better service, but I do understand the tactic.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Good info.
But a sad statement of customer service at AT&T (and virtually everywhere else for that matter) that you have to call back so many times and get different info each time you call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Very nice! Kinda sad that you need to be a squeaky wheel to get better service, but I do understand the tactic.
I absolutely hate having to do it, but it is necessary to get something done. And Peter is right, it isn't just AT&T that you have to do this with it's almost all big companies these days.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
I absolutely hate having to do it, but it is necessary to get something done. And Peter is right, it isn't just AT&T that you have to do this with it's almost all big companies these days.
and if you really push the envelope, you can get free charcoal and a gift card.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Oh snap!!

Old 08-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #9
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Not sure how to take this.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #10
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Not sure how to take this.
Sorry, not directed at you Greg. Someone else on this forum pulled this little stunt a few years back and couldn't help bragging about it long and loud.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #11
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Sorry, not directed at you Greg. Someone else on this forum pulled this little stunt a few years back and couldn't help bragging about it long and loud.
Gotcha, but you use the words "this little stunt" are you saying I pulled the same stunt? I don't remember the one you are referring to and I'm not quite sure now even more how to take what you ARE saying.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:20 AM   #12
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Gotcha, but you use the words "this little stunt" are you saying I pulled the same stunt? I don't remember the one you are referring to and I'm not quite sure now even more how to take what you ARE saying.
Mea culpa.

No, Greg, you didn't pull the same stunt nor do I think that you ever would. I was putting a joke out there and should have been very clear that it in no way reflected on you or should be taken in a way that implied that you would do any such thing. I'm very sorry and should not have posted that in your thread.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #13
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Mea culpa.

No, Greg, you didn't pull the same stunt nor do I think that you ever would. I was putting a joke out there and should have been very clear that it in no way reflected on you or should be taken in a way that implied that you would do any such thing. I'm very sorry and should not have posted that in your thread.
Never mind I DO get it.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:42 AM   #14
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Never mind I DO get it.
Tried to edit. I will expand since I couldn't edit. Life for me has been very stressful as of late, won't bore you with the details but suffice it to say my judgement may have taken a temporary leave of absence and took this too seriously and misread your replies. Thanks for clarifying it for me and taking the time to explain.

Last edited by G G; 08-01-2014 at 09:52 AM.