Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2009, 03:58 AM   #1
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Health insurance for self employment question

In June my wife and I will be moving back to my hometown. My parents are getting older and really need some help.

It has been in the works for quite a while and I am definitely excited. My wife is a physical therapist and I have worked in education as a teacher and administrator for 18 years. The plan was for me to get a job with the school system there and for my wife to take over my parents rental property business. If it works out that way I can put my wife on my insurance. However, it was just published in the paper there this week that they school district is going to have to lay off 400 teachers due to budget cut backs. With that it is not looking good for me to get on with them.

Plan B is for me to do the property management and for my wife to work part time as a physical therapist. That leaves us with no insurance.

Any tips for purchasing health insurance for self employed persons??
Old 01-25-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
dillio

Default Re: Health insurance for self employment question

I have been self employed for over 5 years. I have used 2 different plans.

#1 NASE National Association for Self Employed

#2 Blue Cross Blue Shield

The BCBS is far superior in all aspects. I will admit I am probably younger than you, 32, but I just got mother in law on the same program. They offered me better benefits at the same price, while having a larger network.

One piece of advice I can give you for sure is to sit down with someone who is in the business full time and is preferably a broker, not locked into one company. Don't waste your time with someone who does it part time or just got into the business. Typically the same person can offer you a wide array of insurance products i.e. life, auto, disability. You may be able to move other insurance that you currently have with them and get a discount.

Also I highly suggest that you just don't ever get sick!

Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
BillyCigars

I would also mention that it may be worth it to join the local Chamber of Commerce. Many Chambers have group health plans for business owners where the cost is very reasonable.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Back before I got my latest gig I was paying for my insurance out of pocket.

I had a plan from United Healt care called Golden Rule.

It was pretty cheap (comparatively with the "majors") and good for a person like me who visits the DR. less than average (knock on wood).

http://www.goldenrule.com/

Good luck!
Old 01-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

Do you have any medical conditions?If so the may make it tough to get. I could not find coverage when I was unemployed do to hypertension. I was considered high risk.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
darb85

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillio View Post
I have been self employed for over 5 years. I have used 2 different plans.

#1 NASE National Association for Self Employed

#2 Blue Cross Blue Shield

The BCBS is far superior in all aspects. I will admit I am probably younger than you, 32, but I just got mother in law on the same program. They offered me better benefits at the same price, while having a larger network.

One piece of advice I can give you for sure is to sit down with someone who is in the business full time and is preferably a broker, not locked into one company. Don't waste your time with someone who does it part time or just got into the business. Typically the same person can offer you a wide array of insurance products i.e. life, auto, disability. You may be able to move other insurance that you currently have with them and get a discount.

Also I highly suggest that you just don't ever get sick!

Hope this helps.

I agree, How ever dont be scared to go with someone who just got into the business. I just got into the business and know the system quite well and have written a few policies. You go through about a 2 month training program befor BCBS will let you write for them, provided to pass thier test. Same with many other companies. Just putting it out there. A broker/agent that represents many companies will be helpful.

This Site is very helpful in giving you your options as well and may save you some fees.

http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

Brad