Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-02-2011, 04:12 AM   #1
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

First Name: Jason
Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about
Default cigar sizes

I have tried a lot of different sizes and I stopped smoking many longer cigars as they seamed most were plugged. but this weekend I had a Tat and Vaje in the Panatella shape and I must say I loved that shape both had easy draws good burn and just very pleasant smoke all around. I will be on the look out for more in this shape. thank goodness for trades only way I ever found such a gem.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: cigar sizes

I like Robustos, Corona's and Petite Coronas, but I will smoke any size or shape -- as long as I have enough time to really enjoy the cigar. Some of the larger smokes can take a couple of hours or more...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I like Robustos, Corona's and Petite Coronas, but I will smoke any size or shape -- as long as I have enough time to really enjoy the cigar. Some of the larger smokes can take a couple of hours or more...

What he said.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
Newbie_nick
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Nick
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Newbie_nick will become famous soon enough

I can't really say that I've had more or less trouble with longer cigars plugging. In fact, I really don't have trouble with cigars plugging at all.

Have you tried different cutting methods? Unless I'm cutting a torpedo, I have been starting with a punch, and if the draw isn't right, I'll open it up with a straight cut. You might need to cut a larger opening.
Newbie_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

Lately I have been sticking to purchasing Robustos, coronas and toro sizes but I am with the other guys and will smoke them all.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
quantim0
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (20)
quantim0 will become famous soon enough

I love /small gauge in general and you can get a tight one every so often. I can't say it's much more frequently than larger sizes.

I have heard a rumor that the smaller gauges are less forgiving to roll in regards to draw, so the more experienced torcedors are tasked with rolling them.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

I have found that I only purchase Robusto or Petite Corona any more. I find that a Robusto is just the perfect time to sit outside and enjoy a cigar with a friend. If you wan't another, fire up a Petite Corona. Churchills and such take a long time to smoke and I find myself pitching half the cigar most of the time.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantim0 View Post
I love /small gauge in general and you can get a tight one every so often. I can't say it's much more frequently than larger sizes.

I have heard a rumor that the smaller gauges are less forgiving to roll in regards to draw, so the more experienced torcedors are tasked with rolling them.
yea that is what i was thinking I mean it has to be hard to roll something as long as a Panatella with that small of a ring gauge and have them come out with perfect draw.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
gator_79
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Robin
Trading: (3)
Navy (Deployed)
gator_79 is on a distinguished road

If time is not a factor I usually smoke a piramide/torp, Corona Gorda, or robusto. If time is an issue I'll reach for something smaller.
gator_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
Newbie_nick
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Nick
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Newbie_nick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator_79 View Post
If time is not a factor I usually smoke a piramide/torp, Corona Gorda, or robusto. If time is an issue I'll reach for something smaller.
I'm usually in the same camp. My favorite size is toro, but I've been known to gravitate to a double toro (6x60) if I'm feeling especially greedy! If time is short, I'll go with a robusto or corona.
Newbie_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Smoking time is not the only difference between cigar sizes. The different ratios if filler/binder to wrapper can have a profound effect on a cigars flavor profile. Dont get caught up so much with sizes and try to find the balance that suits your tastes.
Posted via Mobile Device
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #12
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Bob knows stuff.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

I tend to gravitate towards toros as my favorite size, but thats mainly because they burn for just the right amount of time, not too long, not too short. ~90 mins is my ideal smoking time. That said, I'm not too picky and will try anything in almost any size, and I'll go with a thinner ring gauge if the wrapper smells particularly good.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #14
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Smoking time is not the only difference between cigar sizes. The different ratios if filler/binder to wrapper can have a profound effect on a cigars flavor profile. Dont get caught up so much with sizes and try to find the balance that suits your tastes.
Posted via Mobile Device

that's basically what I was trying to say the small ring gauge of the Panatella provided a much more flavor from the wrapper. just because it was in the area of 7 inch's did not make it a long smoke but it was just enjoyable.
this was more of a have you tried a Panatella shape thread and what did you think? I am not switching to Panatella all the time but I can see having a few in the rotation.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #15
audio1der

Longer cigars don't neccessarily have to be larger RG smokes, either. Consider some Panatella Largas and Delicados are only 28-36 RG, and smoke without a hint of a pluuged draw.
Anyone who's ever tried a Rafael Gonzalez Slenderella could attest.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #16
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I very much enjoy pc's and long skinnies. So much so that it's almost all I nuy anymore. I do it knowing that I'm missing a lot of development and goodness that longer/bigger rg cigars present. I can always go to a bigger ring if I want, and I do have plenty around, but the short skinnies are what I'm really enjoying right now.
Subject to change.