Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation
Default Landscape design software

Does any know of any out there that are worthwhile? I downloaded SmartDraw but its not all that great. I have a huge amount of land I need to get done in the back yard, approximately 8000sqft more. I have a good amount with concrete but would like to make our backyard an oasis for my family.

I'm looking at doing the majority of the work myself. I might hire Gary though if he's up for it.

Seriously though anyone know of anything?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by bvilchez; 10-17-2010 at 09:39 PM.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Landscape design software

Jay I know the punch home design software does landscape as well. I have used the home design stuff but have not played with the landscape stuff yet. As far as the software goes though it is pricey but very easy to use.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

AutoCAD? Steep price, but works good. I have no experience with it for Civil type work, but lots of work with AutoCAD for structural.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:44 AM   #4
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

What are you looking at doing? Landscape software will not do you much good without a CAD survey. And if it's just lines that you know or can trace, a pencil and a good ruler/scale will be just fine. The hard part about landscape design is plant choice. That will take much more research than the dseign itself.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

do a soil survey,

our local extension (land management) office will do it for $5 and they give you a list (about 3 pages) of plants that will thrive, struggle, and that you should avoid.
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Soil test is important. Take pictures of plants you see that interest you if you're unsure what they are.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
AutoCAD? Steep price, but works good. I have no experience with it for Civil type work, but lots of work with AutoCAD for structural.
Besides the price, AutoCAD has kind of a steep learning curve too, it's a a little much for the typical casual / one time user. For the casual / one-time user with no CAD training, I would recommend Microsoft Visio, it's easier to learn for the basic use, the stamps/templates premade objects make things much simpler and faster ("Plug n' play AutoCAD"). Sure, it's not as powerful, but it's all that most home users would need (and more, really, when you get into it) all at about a tenth of the price if you're going to buy it.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Microsoft Visio, it's easier to learn for the basic use, the stamps/templates premade objects make things much simpler and faster ("Plug n' play AutoCAD").
Agree
Old 10-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
pennjones
amateur afficionado!

First Name: Brad
Trading: (12)
Punch
pennjones is on a distinguished road

What about google sketch up? If you just want a rough design to see what it could look like it might be a good option. It's free and fairly easy to use the basics. The punch software is good, but kind of expensive hard to learn, just not as hard as CAD.
pennjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
What are you looking at doing? Landscape software will not do you much good without a CAD survey. And if it's just lines that you know or can trace, a pencil and a good ruler/scale will be just fine. The hard part about landscape design is plant choice. That will take much more research than the dseign itself.
I'm looking at making a water feature of some sort that will replace the mound of dirt that is acting as a current retaining wall (corner really and it's approx. 500sqft of dirt). I also want to make an outdoor bbq area (perhaps covered), and a play area for the kids. That for right now are my definites. Everything else in due time (pool possibly but no time in the near future).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscmit View Post
do a soil survey,

our local extension (land management) office will do it for $5 and they give you a list (about 3 pages) of plants that will thrive, struggle, and that you should avoid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Soil test is important. Take pictures of plants you see that interest you if you're unsure what they are.
I'm not that worried about soil because the only thing my wife and I plan on planting are a lemon tree, an orange tree, and a few cypress trees along one side of the house because you can look directly into our backyard from a trail alongside the house. The cypress trees are for the shade but most importantly privacy from the nosey a$$ neighbors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Besides the price, AutoCAD has kind of a steep learning curve too, it's a a little much for the typical casual / one time user. For the casual / one-time user with no CAD training, I would recommend Microsoft Visio, it's easier to learn for the basic use, the stamps/templates premade objects make things much simpler and faster ("Plug n' play AutoCAD"). Sure, it's not as powerful, but it's all that most home users would need (and more, really, when you get into it) all at about a tenth of the price if you're going to buy it.

Visio is a great tool. I would consider myself a pro at it since I've been using it for the last 12 years. We use it at work to construct our communications architectures. But I was looking for something more specific towards landscaping so it could give me a visual of dimensions and ideas as well.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Check your PMs Jay.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote