Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation
Default How do you feel?

We live in interesting times. Seems that every day another "something" happens to destabilize the economic and social world around us. In our consumer driven economy how we all "feel" has much to do with how tomorrow and the next day looks.

They say all politics are local, but I think each of us experiences the world economic system "locally" in our own community context as well. Prosperity is a complex concept when applied personally, it can be but a fleeting perception consisting mainly of hope, fueled by a goal of a better future, fragile and easily destroyed by doubt and fear.

Todays news tells us that tomorrow will not be as good. Not exactly the harbingers of hope the news folks are. However, sometimes individual reality is different then that is promoted to "sell" ads. Many folks are going through tough times. 6% are unemployed. Thinking about it though, that means that 94% are employed. How we feel and the choices those feelings lead us to have a big impact on what the future looks like.

So how do you feel?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #2
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: How do you feel?

I feel like we have been through this before. In late 2001 we were faced with a similar economic crisis stemming from 9/11. The market tanked, and people got laid-off, myself included.

I moved back home, and went to work for the family business. I also met my wife during this time, which I wouldnt have if I were still living in Boston.

My life would be competely different if things hadnt gotten so bad for me in those few months, but in retrospect I would never change it. Every cloud has a silver lining.

This too shall pass.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

Got's enough things going on in life to keep me busy; cutting back where need be and making do. Been through enough to know that "Tough times don't last, tough people do"
Old 11-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
gorob23
Brother of the Leaf

First Name: Rob
Trading: (0)
gorob23 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaga View Post

Got's enough things going on in life to keep me busy; cutting back where need be and making do. Been through enough to know that "Tough times don't last, tough people do"
What the old timer (like me ) said. Lucky ( In some ways ) to have a job that doesn't pay much but pays and have been in tough times since the oldest of the "4lp" was born. It is kinda like a Ironman. You start fresh in the swim, have highs and lows and some how keep moving thru each event no matter what happens. So carry on and keep your chin up.
Rob
gorob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorob23 View Post
What the old timer (like me ) said. Lucky ( In some ways ) to have a job that doesn't pay much but pays and have been in tough times since the oldest of the "4lp" was born. It is kinda like a Ironman. You start fresh in the swim, have highs and lows and some how keep moving thru each event no matter what happens. So carry on and keep your chin up.
Rob
Wisdom comes from the most unlikey of places.

The world our children inherit from us is much different than the one our parents left us. But it is there to inherit so we have that going for us.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
AAlmeter is on a distinguished road

I'm afraid of bad/rash decisions that we may make during these tougher times. An economic system is a natural thing, it runs in cycles like the weather. Sometimes it rains, sometimes its sunny. I just hope we don't start building financial levees that are sure to break at some point down the road...causing much more distress than we could ever have during this recession.

Its important to keep in mind that f'in with companies' business plans and profits is the reason that we entered into this mess. More of the same will not solve it. If we step back and let the market correct itself, we'll be OK in due time. If not, we'll prolong the BS.
AAlmeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
Buena Fortuna
Feeling at Home

First Name: Sam
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Buena Fortuna will become famous soon enough

In my short life, I've lost my father at a young age, my job, my life savings, I've lived out of the trunk of my car, survived a serious automaobile accident, and cancer...what's a little economic instability???

You can always make up for lost money, but you can't make up lost time. Spend time doing what you love with people you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life again.
Buena Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #8
Rock Star
Mike Hawk for President

First Name: Freddy
Trading: (1)
Rock Star is on a distinguished road

I actually feel bad for the older people (baby boomers) whos retirement was based on the now market..Have a friend who's Dad was supposed to retire this year but cant and now he has to work another 5 years probably to retire. If you saw this guys, you would think he should have been retired 5 years ago. I think it sucks that people will had to see their 401k get crushed but at least they have one..most people dont even have a retirement plan but I still feel bad for them. As for people like me, I think this might be an opportunity of a life time.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:46 AM   #9
ahc4353

Like someone is standing on my chest.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #10
n3uka
Feeling at Home

Trading: (30)
Cohiba
n3uka has disabled reputation

Pissed, frustrated and scared.

Working in a retail environment has meant over a 40% reduction in income this year. To make matters worse our company has decided to increase the sales crew from 12 to 16 people. Their attitude is we are free since we are on straight commission. They couldn't care less that they are going to further decrease our incomes causing severe financial stress. With the ever increasing ranks of unemployed it is near impossible to find a new job.

I have cut out all discretionary spending and watch every penny spent now. At least I have a job, my health and a good support base to help make it through this rough point.

Rant off
n3uka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #11
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

since i can't seem to find a job no matter what I try, not too good right about now
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:54 AM   #12
Tombstone

Scared...But I know that GOD is in control.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #13
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (10)
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough

I'm concerned about my financial health. I've lost about 40K in my retirement funds, my bank accounts are fluctuating in and out of the red and my credit limit had to be raised recently.

I'm trying to have compassion on those who have less than me. If I know of people in need, then I try to help somehow.

All in all, things are going well. I'm clinging to my bible and guns, lovin' on my family as much as I can, and enjoying an occasional cigar. I'm not buying any cigars, but I have enough to last about a year, at which time wee will all be paying for 30-yo "kids" health care through our cigar taxes. I wish I could stock up now, but there's just no funding.
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #14
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I’ll feel better once all of the money that has been dumped into the financial system by the Fed and Treasury gains traction and helps reverse the course for the markets and economy. Until then, I’m keeping my seatbelt on because it’s going to be a bumpy ride. On the brighter side, I have faith that things will work out and there will be clearer weather on the other side of this storm. Just hang in there everyone.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #15
Cigary

Life is cyclical at best. No guarantees when you come into this world and there is only one guarantee when you leave,,,you come into this world with nothing you leave the same way. While you are here you should be preparing for eventualities that this life hands out. If you are a spiritual person who believes in a higher power then your faith sustains you. If you don't believe in a higher power then you are on your own to get thru this life as best you can with no hope of anything except what this life has to offer.

My wife and I are retired and slowly built and provided for our retirement days and didn't lead the extravegant lifestyle that a lot of people do. We lived without the "new" things that everyone else had to have,,,boats, big houses, new bigscreen TV's, big cars, jewelry,etc. Our parents taught us to live without over indulging in "things" and it worked for us. I tried to teach my kids the same thing but each generation has it's own hurdles and my kids are saving like crazy because they don't want to have to go thru what other generations are going thru,,credit crisis, foreclosures, loss of their jobs, etc.

I read the other posts here and it makes me sad that good people suffer,,,sometimes things are not their fault and bad things happen to good people. Tightening our belts, though not easy is sometimes the best thing to do in hard times and shows character to do the hard things. When was the last time you learned a lesson the easy way? Hard lessons toughen us and make us experience those times for the future.

Those who forget the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it. This isn't the first time we have all faced economic hardships and it certainly won't be the last. Remember to provide for the future and not live for the day. Good luck to us all.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #16
ahc4353

When I first saw this thread I thought, oh no this is gonna be a downer. However after reading some posts I now I think it can be used to help each other.

Though I would share.

Last night I was watching a hockey game and the home team did a piece on the Make-A-Wish Foundation. When the guy was asked "what is the best wish you have ever granted?" he told the following story.

A two and a half year old boy wanted as his wish to ride the school bus. That's all, he could have whatever he wanted and he wanted to ride the school bus. Why? Because he wanted to know where his brothers went each day. So he got his wish. He rode the bus. His mom said she had never seen him so happy, ever. That little boy is no longer with us.

I think from now on when I'm thinking I'm having a bad day I'll just tell myself to, go ride the bus.

No matter how bad you think you have it, you don't have to look far to see your wrong.

Wishing each and everyone of you the best life has to offer.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:34 AM   #17
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
When I first saw this thread I thought, oh no this is gonna be a downer. However after reading some posts I now I think it can be used to help each other.

Though I would share.

Last night I was watching a hockey game and the home team did a piece on the Make-A-Wish Foundation. When the guy was asked "what is the best wish you have ever granted?" he told the following story.

A two and a half year old boy wanted as his wish to ride the school bus. That's all, he could have whatever he wanted and he wanted to ride the school bus. Why? Because he wanted to know where his brothers went each day. So he got his wish. He rode the bus. His mom said she had never seen him so happy, ever. That little boy is no longer with us.

I think from now on when I'm thinking I'm having a bad day I'll just tell myself to, go ride the bus.

No matter how bad you think you have it, you don't have to look far to see your wrong.

Wishing each and everyone of you the best life has to offer.
Thanks for bringing it into perspective Al.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:54 PM   #18
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

If I'm only tihnking of myself and my family, I'm in pretty good spirits. If the news weren't telling me that the sky is falling, I'd see home prices coming back down to reality, gas prices that are much more reasonable, and my 401k contributions are buying many more shares now than a few months ago... which'll come in handy when I retire in 40 yrs.

I can't imagine what the older generations are going through, especially those losing their pentions, postponing retirement, etc. Or those losing their jobs due to the recession. Hopefully we've got smart enough people in Washington who can find a way out of this mess...
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:58 PM   #19
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
Trading: (5)
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

how am I supposed to feel? I do what I can within my control.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:45 PM   #20
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

6% unemployment doesn't sound bad until it's stated as the 2 million people it represents. Add .9 kids to each of those that suffer under the unemployment and a few spouses and it's affecting an incredible number of people directly.

We live in a backwood hick $8.00 an hour economy here.
Gas prices rising to $4.00 a gallon absolutely devastated household incomes. The recent drop has made all the difference in the world. There are twice as many cars buzzing around, stores are full, and there's a line at the ice cream stand again.
It may be hard to imagine something that that's simple, but that's what it's like here.
Most families here take home about $1600 a month.
They drive old junk cars because that's what they can afford. Putting gas in those cars at the rate of 40 bucks a week for two cars is $320. That's 20% of their income.
When gas prices doubled, it immediately took another 20%.
Imagine what would happen if 20% of your income disappeared tomorrow?
That's what happened to roughly 40% of the families in my county. Another 30% lost 10% of their income.
It ain't right.