Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
TheFool

Default thoughts on the Davidoff Grand Cru No. 3?

I have a couple old friends stopping by for the holiday season. We're all interested in cigars, but none of us are even near experts. Anyways, I thought a nice and fun present would be to get 3 nicer cigars and spend an afternoon catching up. After doing a little research I came across this review: http://www.stogieguys.com/2006/08/st...-cru-no-3.html
I can get 3 for around 35-40$ on cigar.com
Has anyone had this particular cigar? Would this be a good selection for 3 newbie cigar aficionados?

Much thanks.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
papajohn67
Reprobate From The 101st

Trading: (62)
papajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nice
Default Re: thoughts on the Davidoff Grand Cru No. 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFool View Post
I have a couple old friends stopping by for the holiday season. We're all interested in cigars, but none of us are even near experts. Anyways, I thought a nice and fun present would be to get 3 nicer cigars and spend an afternoon catching up. After doing a little research I came across this review: http://www.stogieguys.com/2006/08/st...-cru-no-3.html
I can get 3 for around 35-40$ on cigar.com
Has anyone had this particular cigar? Would this be a good selection for 3 newbie cigar aficionados?

Much thanks.
I'm a huge Davidoff fan, that being said I'd suggest you forget the Davidoff's and search out something else. Perhaps a nice PAM 64. Just my
papajohn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
TheFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajohn67 View Post
I'm a huge Davidoff fan, that being said I'd suggest you forget the Davidoff's and search out something else. Perhaps a nice PAM 64. Just my
Any particular reason? Both for that selection and not the Davidoff?
Old 11-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
Ismith75
Tin Cup Chalice

First Name: Ian
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Ismith75 will become famous soon enough

Davidoff's are a good celebratory cigar but I'm with papajohn. There are a ton of great cigars in that price range.
Ismith75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

You can score the PAM 64's starting at $7.75. There's a reason
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
Ismith75
Tin Cup Chalice

Bolivar

Check your B&M for holiday specials, a lot of them seem to put out their stock of Opus' and Anejo's around this time. Can't go wrong with a VSG or San Cristobal either and you can probably get em for a little cheaper than the Davidoff's.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:08 PM   #7
papajohn67
Reprobate From The 101st

papajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFool View Post
Any particular reason? Both for that selection and not the Davidoff?
IMHO Davidoff's for many are an acquired taste, something that comes down the road a bit. I know that may sound snobbish but at their price point it could be quite a disappointment. Oh hell any cigar can let someone down but you really did not let people know which way the wind blows when it comes to "your" tastes in cigars. I could think of a ton of high end cigars that would or could make one smile including the Grand Cru but I've had many a BOTL wonder what's wrong with me when it comes to my fondness towards the entire Davidoff/Avo/Winston Churchill line of cigars.

As for Padrons, well again IMHO they are a damn fine cigar.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
papajohn67
Reprobate From The 101st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismith75 View Post
Check your B&M for holiday specials, a lot of them seem to put out their stock of Opus' and Anejo's around this time. Can't go wrong with a VSG or San Cristobal either and you can probably get em for a little cheaper than the Davidoff's.
VSG's...Corona Gorda.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:13 PM   #9
Ismith75
Tin Cup Chalice

Bolivar

Quote:
VSG's...Corona Gorda.
Corona Gorda and Illusion sizes are the best
Old 12-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
TheFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismith75 View Post
Assuming a B&M is a smoke shop, I regret to inform you that the town I live in doesn't have a real smoke shop or place for cigars. There are one or two places that sell some cigars as an afterthought and I'm working on getting a list of what they do have so I can do a little research etc.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
TheFool

Quote:
you really did not let people know which way the wind blows when it comes to "your" tastes in cigars.
Sorry about that, I'm really just starting out in the cigar world. I've had basically two cigars, the nicer one being an Ashton Cabinet, which I really enjoyed and has gotten me interested in culturing myself in cigars. That's all I can really give you as far as my personal taste. As for my two friends I don't know how much they really know about cigars, they've probably smoked a couple more than me, but I don't think they look into their selection that much.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #12
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
You can score the PAM 64's starting at $7.75. There's a reason
Where? I am in the market.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #13
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Where? I am in the market.
Cigarsatyourprice.com the small Principe's are $7.75. I just bid based on quarters at a time so my prices are accurate within 25 cents. Those are the like 4.5 X 46's or whatnot. Exclusivo/Monacras are $9.75 each. Torpedos $14 each, Imperials $13 each, Diplomatico $11.75 and the A's are $29.50
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #14
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Damn good pricing. I will be checking that out.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote