Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-06-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
madwilliamflint is on a distinguished road
Default Cigar Noob

Heya folks o/

I'm a near complete noob here, having smoked less than 2 dozen cigars in my smoking career (a little over two months.)

I'm finding myself biasing towards a really full flavor very quickly, which is surprising me. (The PH 681 is a top 5.)

As I'm unemployed I'm on a pretty strict $10/week budget (which usually amounts to $20 every other week.) I've had good luck so far on various samplers and deals from cigar monster/famous. (and some questionable luck from Thompson.)

Any suggestions, recommendations, pointers, etc?

I started reviewing what I've been smoking over at Cigar Noob and could use a couple pointers if people are so inclined.(I'm not spamming for advertising clicks or anything.)

Thanks.

o/

- MWF
madwilliamflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cigar Noob

Welcome to CA.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Welcome!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Welcome to the Asylum. In your RyJ review, you mention storing at 72%, which is a little wet. That might account for the burn issues you had.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
Calexan

Im in the same noob boat as you!!! and Im also leaning to a stronger cigar. The last one I had was a cheap Fuente 8-5-8 Maduro that i ended up getting bored with towards the end. Never could get any real discernible flavor out of it other than tobacco. Ill stay tuned to you blog!
Old 10-07-2009, 04:56 AM   #6
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Welcome!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:00 AM   #7
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

Welcome
McSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:04 AM   #8
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the MADHOUSE!!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:30 AM   #9
gbum
Feeling at Home

First Name: Asyraf
Partagas
gbum is on a distinguished road

madman walking! welcome !
Old 10-07-2009, 06:31 AM   #10
bookman

Welcome. Check out the WTS posts here for some great deals.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #11
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Welcome to the Asylum!
Posted via Mobile Device
dunng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:51 AM   #12
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Welcome!

1. Your definitly too wet IMO. I keep mine at 65% with Scott's beads and almost never have any burn issues. Any sticks I pick up at the B&M go into storage to dry out a bit.

2. As for you budget, to stretch it out, try www.cigarbid.com - Some sharp bidding will get you some good fivers for way much less than shopping at the B&M. It's known as the devil site for a reason Also, as noted above, many a good deal can be found by the BOTLs here clearing out space in their humis.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:23 AM   #13
dogface_313

Welcome.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #14
bleedingshrimp

Welcome! Try leaving your cigar out or in an unhumidified box for around 24 hours prior to smoking. That should improve burn and flavor IMO.

On roughly a $40 a month budget, I'd figure out how many sticks I'm likely to smoke that month then by the best sticks possible.

I do this cigar thing for the enjoyment, taste, and relaxation. I'd rather smoke 5 amazing cigars per month...than 30 average smokes. That's just my humble opinion...and it's worth precisely what you paid for it

P.S. - Here's a screaming deal for $30...I might hop on this one myself!
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...ASST11&cat=167

Last edited by bleedingshrimp; 10-07-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #15
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

Hey thanks everyone o/

72% is high? Hmm... I'm not sure what I can do about that with one of those crappy analog dial hygrometers and sponge humidifiers.

The auction stuff still seems a bit deep-end for me.

I'm also pretty amazed that I've had this humidor a month and it's starting to seem awfully small. 50 cigars sure seemed like a lot
Old 10-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #16
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwilliamflint View Post
72% is high? Hmm... I'm not sure what I can do about that with one of those crappy analog dial hygrometers and sponge humidifiers.
Get yourself a Hygroset, an adjustable digital hygrometer. I understand WalMart carries a cheap digital, but I haven't used it. You can get beads to replace your sponge from Cigarmony, Heartfelt, or shilala (member here). Beads are much more reliable, and you can get them for specific target RH. Personally, I find my cigars smoke better at a target of 65%.
Quote:
The auction stuff still seems a bit deep-end for me.
You can get some amazing deals on cigarbid and cigarmonster. Just be careful and know your prices, as occasionally people will bid something up over retail.
Quote:
I'm also pretty amazed that I've had this humidor a month and it's starting to seem awfully small. 50 cigars sure seemed like a lot
Yeah, your collection will have a way of expanding to fill available storage. Welcome to the slope.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #17
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingshrimp View Post
Welcome! Try leaving your cigar out or in an unhumidified box for around 24 hours prior to smoking. That should improve burn and flavor IMO.
That's now at least 3 "too wet" votes. I'll definitely give that a shot. Tough to think that far ahead

Quote:
On roughly a $40 a month budget, I'd figure out how many sticks I'm likely to smoke that month then by the best sticks possible.
While that certainly seems reasonable I'm far more inclined to buy a bunch of the cheapest thing I can stand to get me through, then spend the rest on the best it can buy, at least while I'm still this new to the field.

Cigar Monster deals have been treating me well. Those 681s knocked my socks off, and I've got a sampler 5 pack coming later this week. Plus, I've been back and forth with Hayward from Famous a few times on twitter and he's pretty awesome.

Quote:
I do this cigar thing for the enjoyment, taste, and relaxation. I'd rather smoke 5 amazing cigars per month...than 30 average smokes. That's just my humble opinion...and it's worth precisely what you paid for it
I fully expect to get to that point. But there's SO much out there that I know nothing about. I have a lot of ground to cover before settling in to a groove.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #18
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

As to cigar bid - it's exactly what you need. You can get "better" (better being relative to what you like) smokes at really good deals. Instead of paying $5.50 - $6 for a Perdomo Corojo each at the B&M, I can sometimes get a fiver on cbid for $15. You can set your cbid to ship on only Thurs. to combine winnings and save on shipping costs. Knowing the B&M MSRP and cool emotions, buying on cbid can save you some cash. And don't worry, they always have more auctions every day.

If you haven't tested your hygrometer than you may not really know what your RH is at. Depending on the size of the humi, the sponge may have too much water. Definitly at least do a clibration test on the hygrometer to see where your at, go digital if you can, analog leaves a lot to be desired. There are some really good guides on here on how to salt test, so a search for them can give you better guidance than i can.

Understanding your on the budget thing (aren't we all), beads really are the way to go. Scott sets his beads for 65% and they hold rock solid for me.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #19
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

Quote:
As to cigar bid - it's exactly what you need.
I dunno man. I used to be an eBayer. I ... can't be trusted.

Quote:
Knowing the B&M MSRP...
Does anyplace really sell at msrp or is that just a perceived discount trick?
Old 10-07-2009, 11:55 AM   #20
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough

Some people like their sticks at a higher RH, but if you do so be sure to dry box for a few hours to a day before smoking. Makes a world of difference in burn and flavor as far as I'm concerned..

aj
RightAJ is offline   Reply With Quote