Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

First Name: Christian
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tenor CS will become famous soon enoughTenor CS will become famous soon enough
Default Are torpedoes more "desirable?"

Note: for the purpose of this post, when I say "torpedo," I am referring to any cigar (belicoso, pyramide, etc) with a pointy head.

Looking through my collection of cigar catalogs, I can't help but notice that most of the photos used are of torpedoes. CI even offers samplers where every stick is a torpedo. Is there some kind of unspoken favoritism towards torpedoes among the cigar intelligentsia? Or do the pictures of torpedoes just look better to the buying public?

I have to admit, if I am going to try a cigar that is brand new to me, and it is available in multiple sizes, I will more often than not reach for a torpedo shaped one. I have a Camacho triple maduro torpedo in my travel humi right now. I also have an RP Edge missle in there.

However, if a torpedo is not available, I will tend to buy what seems like the biggest bang for the buck. If a robusto is one price, but the churchill is only 40 cents more, I will always go for the churchill. Plus, I rarely nub my sticks, I usually pitch them with about 1.5-2 inches left. Because of that, a robusto (that I'd only smoke 3 inches of) really doesn't provide enough smoking satisfaction for me.

As an aside, that's one of the big reasons I've never ordered from Famous Smoke Shop. I find most of their samplers tend to be robusto sized and overpriced. When I was looking at the catalogs, I found that most of the CI samplers I was interested in were $50-60 for 20 torpedo or toro sized sticks. But the Famous samplers were $70-80 for 15-20 robustos.

More general question to those who feel like chiming in: Does shape of the cigar affect the flavor THAT much?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Are torpedoes more "desirable?"

Naw, I don't think so.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenor CS View Post
Does shape of the cigar affect the flavor THAT much?
Yes, I feel it does. I've had Coronas or smaller that were stellar and then had it's big brother (i.e. Robusto, Churchill, etc.) and the flavors were nowhere near as robust and full as they were in the smaller smoke. Binder/Filler/Wrapper ratio plays a big part in flavor IMO and the smaller sticks are without question a better ratio than the big ones.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

I have found that you can tell quite a bit about the construction quality of a line of cigars by smoking a few belis/torps. Usually it is the size I try first.
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Yes, I feel it does. I've had Coronas or smaller that were stellar and then had it's big brother (i.e. Robusto, Churchill, etc.) and the flavors were nowhere near as robust and full as they were in the smaller smoke. Binder/Filler/Wrapper ratio plays a big part in flavor IMO and the smaller sticks are without question a better ratio than the big ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
I have found that you can tell quite a bit about the construction quality of a line of cigars by smoking a few belis/torps. Usually it is the size I try first.
I agree that within a line there often is a pretty wide range of variance among the different vitolas, for the reasons Darrell points out. I also tend to agree that the belis/torps are a good indicator of construction quality within a line. I like them because they're a way to enjoy a larger ring gauge vitola without having to do the largemouth bass thing.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Isn't this description more about "size" than about "shape, D?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
In the OP, I should have used what I think is the more appropriate, technical term "vitola."

So, it should have been Does the vitola of the cigar affect the flavor THAT much?

In this case, I mean vitola to refer to the combination of both size and shape. So, Darrell was really answering the question I intended, but failed to ask properly.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIrish View Post
I like them because they're a way to enjoy a larger ring gauge vitola without having to do the largemouth bass thing.
That may be what draws me to them as well. I know that for huge rg sticks, like nubs, I much prefer the pointy ones. Smoking a 60+ rg stick for an hour or more is a real jawbuster.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #9
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Man, how many times did I hear that from both ex-wives...

Old 03-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #10
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

Trading: (5)
Rabidsquirrel is on a distinguished road

I find the torpedo shape to be more satisfying in the hand. Usually though, their increased price drives me to try another size.
Rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #11
Darrell

Quote:
Isn't size and shape relative especially in this case?
Old 03-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #12
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Isn't size and shape relative especially in this case?
Belicosos and Torpedos come in different lengths and RGs, so it could have been different issues, My Brother.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
Darrell

Quote:
Belicosos and Torpedos come in different lengths and RGs, so it could have been different issues, My Brother.
Ah true enough. I always forget that.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Torpedos "look" better in a catalog, especially to newbies.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #15
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Quote:
While I tend to agree with you on this, it is not an absolute as you have stated it. I have found that some lines actually taste better in a larger RG. However, I agree that most are better in a smaller RG.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #16
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

As a matter of personal preference I think torpedos and other figurados just look pretty. Does it affect the taste? sure but that doesn't mean they always taste better. I think it depends entirely on the line and your taste. Bolivar BFs are real pretty and I'll smoke one every once in a while for this reason alone but many people feel they aren't the best of the line. On the other hand I prefer the Tatuaje Unicos because I feel they are the tastiest and not because I prefer the shape.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #17
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough

I think there might be something to it. I also seem to scout out the torpedo version of a smoke I haven't tried before if it's available. Unless of course there's a veritable price difference. For example, most torpedoes at my shop run about a dollar more in price that, say the toro. But the Diamond Crown cigars...the robusto is $14, whereas the Pyramide is $22.50. WTF? I'll try the robusto, thank you...
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #18
otter23

For me a fuller body cigar taste better with a belicoso
Old 03-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #19
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Nothing to do with how they look in the magazine, but I like the feel of the torp better in the teeth where as the box press drives me nuts.

Could it be that marketing has determined the point or tip entices more people to buy over a standard cigar shape? Maybe it adds to the prestige of the cigar when it is unique in shape?

After saying all of that, I tend to hit the robustos and coronas most of the time.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #20
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I like a Torpedo or Toro myself. I honestly don't think I have a real size or shape preference, but longer sticks with around a 50-55 rg seem to always be the best of any particular blend.
I think it's because blenders use that size to craft a cigar and then the smaller ones are mathematically deduced as close as possible to use as close a ratio of tobacco as possible while minimizing waste.
Sometimes the smaller cigars with the "tweaked" blend of it's larger counterpart is actually better, but it hasn't happened often in my experience.
Take lanceros for instance. They almost always suck.