Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation
Default DBall smoking blind NCs...

I’m not an NC smoker… I haven’t had any in quite some time that really did anything for me (aside from NC Davis). This should be a fun experiment.

Thanks to jonumberone (Dom) for granting my wish for such an exercise in the NC MAW.

Here are the cigars:

Old 09-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
DBall
Cigar Jesus

RyJ
Default Re: DBall smoking blind NCs...

Cigar #1:

Pre-draw is super chocolatey…

1st/3rd:

Lighting it… I’m used to habanos… typically aged or mild. Therefore, I like to push a LOT of smoke out of my nose… gotta be careful during this tasting run.

The flavors here are pretty tasty, though I can’t quite discern them. Bitterness on the back of the tongue as well, but not bad. This cigar is fairly strong and, to my palate, the flavors are a bit muddled by that strength. Ash is a couple shades lighter than coal… hahaha… very dark. I’m trying to sip this and it is not making much difference.

The benefit to this blind run is that, considering I don’t smoke NCs, I have no idea of profiles or what’s out there. I couldn’t guess what any of these are if I had to.

I am getting some chocolate out of the first third. As an aside, the ash doesn’t like the cigar and continually succeeds in escaping it.

2nd/3rd :

By ‘muddled’ I mean… imagine if you took rainbow sherbet, vanilla ice cream and chocolate ice cream and mixed them all up. You know you’re eating something cold, like I know I’m smoking a cigar. Every now and then some flavor pops in. That’s this cigar.

I feel like I’m having an incredibly hard time picking out flavors. In the interest of full disclosure, this is my second cigar of the day… perhaps that has something to do with it. I also seem to be getting that acidy/bittery aftertaste on the tongue characteristic of ever time I try to enjoy an NC. It tastes like my mouth is made of yuck. Don’t misunderstand, though… the smoke itself is good. The palate-coating ‘flavor’, however, not so much. On the sides of my tongue on the back it’s that same feeling as when you eat a lemon.

I gotta say, I’m kinda enjoying this. Especially now as I’m noticing the overall bitterness slipping away after the halfway point (aside from the back/sides of the tongue thing that’s still there and noticeable… especially when I’m not actively smoking it).
I’m going into this with a fully open mind… as I said, it’s been quite a while for me and NCs… if there’s a band on it, though, I may try to tie it in with things I’ve heard in passing about them as some of my friends I get together with weekly smoke NC’s pretty much exclusively.

At this point, the cigar seems to be mellowing out a bit, but there’s still spice to it… something meaty about it… definitely stronger than what I’m used to smoking. That ‘back of the tongue bitterness’ is still present and driving me nuts when I’m not actively smoking it.

3rd/3rd:

Burn is perfect, construction is great and the draw is effortless. I do smoke by habit, though, in the sense that I keep trying to push large volumes of smoke out my nose. My nose burns.

The smoke itself, however, still tastes pretty good aside from the spice and bitter. Still, though, I’m not pinpointing anything specific… the chocolate vanished some time back. I don’t necessarily dislike it, though… it’s just hard to explain.

It’s now taking on a bit of a sawdust-y profile… reminds me of woodworking. I do love the size, though… this is comparable to what I typically go to in that regard.

In closing, I’ve definitely smoked worse cigars. Didn’t love it, didn’t hate it... wouldn't really seek them out. While at times the smoke itself was good, it’s hard to get past the lingering bitterness, muddled flavors, the not-so-pleasant aftertaste and its strength. From now on, I will make these testing cigars my first cigar of the day so I might have a fresher palate.

Rating out of 100: 65

Last edited by DBall; 09-28-2010 at 11:46 AM.
DBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

This is going to be fun. That tongue coating nastyness is the biggest reason I switched to Habanos, I find it is worst in Honduran leaf, then lesser in Dominican, and finally pretty rare in Nicaraguan smokes. Do you find it kind of metallic?
I mentioned it a while back in this thread:
Old 09-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
DBall
Cigar Jesus

RyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumushi View Post
This is going to be fun. That tongue coating nastyness is the biggest reason I switched to Habanos, I find it is worst in Honduran leaf, then lesser in Dominican, and finally pretty rare in Nicaraguan smokes. Do you find it kind of metallic?
I mentioned it a while back in this thread:

I did not get any 'metallic' out of it, per se, but it was acrid.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Hehe...I like this thread. Looking forward to seeing the rest of these from Mr. BTT himself
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
DBall
Cigar Jesus

RyJ

Ohhhh... Dom's here. What did I smoke?
Old 09-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

When are we going to find out what you smoked?
Old 09-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Dan
You smoked a Viaje Platino Lancero

Old 09-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
DBall
Cigar Jesus

RyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
Dan
You smoked a Viaje Platino Lancero

Oh? Sweet... I've been hearing a lot about these Viaje things. Thanks for the opportunity to try one!
Old 09-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
jonumberone
Raw Dog

RA

Of the regular production Viaje line the Platino is my least favorite.
I enjoy them but like the Oro and 50/50 better.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #11
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

These threads are fun. Look forward to following it.

Thanks to Dan and Dom.....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
These threads are fun. Look forward to following it.

Thanks to Dan and Dom.....
+1
Old 09-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Turnabout is fun play! Thank you for doing this, Dom!

Dan and Clayton, I don't know what kind of NCs you're getting "tongue-coating nastiness" out of. This has never been an issue for me.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #14
jonumberone
Raw Dog

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
This was Dan's wish. He wanted it
Old 09-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

This should be fun to watch!!
Old 09-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #16
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post

Dan and Clayton, I don't know what kind of NCs you're getting "tongue-coating nastiness" out of. This has never been an issue for me.
From another thread
Quote:
The NC sourness I'm talking about is an actually sour taste that I get on my tongue. It may be a more metallic in some smokes, so it may be from some mineral in the soil, but I call it sour because it reminds me of the cloying artififcial sour taste you get from sour-apple flavored candy. The guilty NCs are most often Honduran, then to a lesser extent Dominican, and seldom Nicaraguan. Luckily I haven't experienced it in any DPG, Tatuaje or Illusione products, so those are about the only NCs I still track down and buy. These NCs I'm smoking through are left over from my first few noob purchases, and the biggest guilty parties are anything by General Cigar, most lines from Camacho, and to a lesser extent, a few of the lines by Padilla and LGC. It's purely a function of the tongue, rather than any aroma, and seems to accumulate on the tongue as you continue to smoke. Some of these cigars smell fine on the nose, but the sourness on the tongue is just too distracting to tolerate.
The topic of tasters and supertasters comes up now and then on different boards. The short and long of it is that everyone has a different amount of tastebuds, and that some people with a much higher amount than the average, "supertasters" can pick up certain traces of bitterness or sourness that others simply can't taste. I don't know whether or not I qualify for this status or not, but I do know that I often pick up funky flavors that are unpleasant to me in cigars that a lot of people enjoy without mentioning it. Whether or not that is due to something objective like the supertaster thing, or something entirely subjective such as personal taste, is another story.
I was just happy to hear that I'm not the only one that finds that "tongue coating nastiness" as a hallmark of certain NCs. When I was a newb, I simply wrote it off as part of the cigar smoking experience and powered through it. Now that I know that a cigar doesn't have to taste like you're sucking on a quarter, I stick to my CCs and the handful of Premium NCs that don't have that aftertaste. If I get a cigar that maintains that taste for more than a minute, I pitch it and find something else. Interestingly, I have never tasted it in a CC. I'm not saying I haven't had my share of nasty flavors in a handful of much too young or improperly stored CCs, but I've never had anything with this particular cloying aftertaste from The Island.
/threadjack
Old 09-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #17
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

LGC

Here's another really interesting article on the ability to taste bitterness.

"PTC tasters may be more sensitive than non-tasters to compounds in tobacco and vegetables in the cabbage family."
Old 09-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #18
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
This was Dan's wish. He wanted it
And how, exactly, does that not make you awesome for providing?

Sorry, Dom, it's too late. You're cool.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #19
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Punch

Interesting info, Clayton- thanks. The NC brands you mention are ones that don't really get much mouth time from me.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #20
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Here's another really interesting article on the ability to taste bitterness.

"PTC tasters may be more sensitive than non-tasters to compounds in tobacco and vegetables in the cabbage family."
Thank you for that article. It claims that 75% of people CAN taste PTC, while 25% cannot on average. So to me that would mean the majority of people are tasters(?) That doesn't make sense nor does it go in line with all of the other peer reviewed information on tasting.