Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
sboyajian

Default New Site from the makers of CigarFriendly.us

(Disclaimer: This post has been approved by The ToE.. Thanks for your support guys!)

Hey everyone, first I want to apologize for not being around much (read, at all). I started a new job back in June, was spending a lot of my spare time with my family.. Was still on twitter, but kind of detoxed from all of the forums for a bit.

I know a lot of you guys use CigarFriendly.us (I see the links from Google Analytics) and have made it a great success, so I wanted to share with you my newest project: YourCigarRatings.com.

Last year after Cigar Aficionado released their top 25, there was a lot of disappointment going around on the boards and on twitter. itsme_timd approached me about putting together a new site for consumer based ratings. We got the domain and did some brain storming, and the new site was born.

I'm sure many of you remember the old site that Caputo destroyed when he took over half the cigar websites, Top 25 Cigar. This is a newer, easier to use version with a better rating system and a lot more features that are coming soon (including a personal cigar journal, tying brands back into CigarFriendly.us to find retailers who carry them, and a lot more).

On a side note, I know many of you are like me and are fairly disappointed in the quality of cigar magazines out there. We are launching a new magazine in January, the first edition will actually be a free online version (thecigarnetwork.com). We are still looking for people who want to write articles or even do artwork for it, so if you are interested, please let me know either here or through email (stephen@cigarfriendly.us).

As always, happy smoking, and I promise, for the next week or two I may be spotty in coming back as I'm making the final push to get the mag finished, however I promise as stuff calms down, I will be back on a more permanent basis.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Site from the makers of CigarFriendly.us

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboyajian View Post
spending a lot of my spare time with my family
How dare you!
Old 12-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I love the site. It is super easy to do reviews.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
sboyajian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
How dare you!
I know.. I know.. Not sure what came over me.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

Bump on this one - the site is HIGHLY addictive, beware! And the new magazine is going to be a lot of fun! Great stuff Stephen, thanks!
Old 12-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Darrell

Great job, man.

I have a suggestion!

Rather than make people register, you might consider adding a "CONNECT WITH FACEBOOK" button that you see on many websites.

That would allow you the opportunity to get your name out on Facebook as well with an application.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Interesting site. I'll bookmark it and as it traffics more reviews I'll probably visit it regularly.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
bscottskangum
Oh yeah, I'm awesome!

First Name: Barry
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
bscottskangum will become famous soon enoughbscottskangum will become famous soon enough

I think this could really be an awesome site....if....people are willing to contribute and not just sit and watch. But that is true of anything that is user-content driven.
bscottskangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
sboyajian

So far there is a lot of participation.. we've got over 530 ratings in a little over 2 weeks of being released.. picking up very quickly.

I like the idea of adding the Facebook sign in. I originally looked into it, however at the time I did there was very little information as it was just released (back on CigarFriendly.us). I will revisit this now.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Cool-I'll have to check it out...I hate having to sneak a peek at the azzh@t site occasionally for a review on something I can't find anywhere else.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #11
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

YOu have no idea how excited I am over this. I used top25 back when I was first getting into cigars, and it helped me SO MUCH. Now since it went the way of the dodo, I've really been missing a good review site.

As soon as I get to sitting down and smoking cigars, I'll post some reviews.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #12
sboyajian

Darrell, I was able to get it (most of it).. you can not log into the sites (CigarFriendly.us and YourCigarRatings.com) using the facebook login button on either site. Since facebook requires each site to be a separate app, you'd have to use it on both.

If you have an existing account, they will merge as long as they are using the same email address.

The only issue I'm having is you can not log out of either site if you are still logged into Facebook (it's a cookie issue). However, if you log out of Facebook, you can lot out of either without an issue.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #13
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Dan, a 67 for the Slam. Geez

Great site Brother. May have some interest helping out with the mag. We'll talk.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #14
sboyajian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboyajian View Post
Darrell, I was able to get it (most of it).. you can NOW log into the sites (CigarFriendly.us and YourCigarRatings.com) using the facebook login button on either site. Since facebook requires each site to be a separate app, you'd have to use it on both.

If you have an existing account, they will merge as long as they are using the same email address.

The only issue I'm having is you can not log out of either site if you are still logged into Facebook (it's a cookie issue). However, if you log out of Facebook, you can lot out of either without an issue.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Damn.. I meant you can NOW log into.. not "not".. I always say not instead of now..
Old 12-16-2010, 07:51 PM   #15
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

It has the potential of being a great resource.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #16
polobear

Pretty decent site, although I seem to create errors when I use my gmail address (which includes a period in it). The format is first.last@gmail.com, and I got an ADODB error when I tried to create an account, so I connected it to my facebook, but when I went to update my profile it wouldn't take my changes until I used a different email account. I would have sent this directly to you at the site but couldn't find a way to contact you there.

Edit: it would be nice to be able to edit a review we write, as well.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #17
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
Dan, a 67 for the Slam. Geez

Great site Brother. May have some interest helping out with the mag. We'll talk.
Yeah, that cigar is BS. Dion charges you more just for a box press and it isn't anywhere near as good as the regular, cheaper one.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #18
waffle
Who doesn't love Waffles?

First Name: Steve (Stephen)
Trading: (38)
waffle has a spectacular aura aboutwaffle has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Yeah, that cigar is BS. Dion charges you more just for a box press and it isn't anywhere near as good as the regular, cheaper one.
*cough* cigar snob *cough*
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #19
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Thanks for saving me money Dan! I won't pick them up now.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #20
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

Looks good from the short time I looked into it.
I'll have more time over the holidays to play.