Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about
Default Plane Tickets=Outrageous

Ok so you hear all over the news about how great of a bargain plane tickets are in this economy..BS. I have to fly to Louisville, KY from Shreveport, LA with my wife to be in the wedding party of my good buddy. After hearing all of these reports I am thinking of for two people leaving on a Thur (11 Jun) and coming back on a Sun (14 Jun) we should be able to find pretty good deals. WRONG. The best I can find is well over $300 per person once you add in all the ridiculous fees they charge you.

So I decide to go a different route. Maybe there are some military discounts out there floating around. So I try a few "military travel" sites...what a joke! These people are simply ripping of the men and women of our military. The prices were 30% higher in most cases.

Unfortunately driving is out of the question in this case so I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and spend $650 on a few days in KY. I guess my buddy better be happy I am willing to do what I can to attend. Thanks for listening everyone as the only purpose of this thread was to vent so in closing...**** the Airlines!
Old 04-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
potlimit
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
PL
potlimit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Plane Tickets=Outrageous

Hmmm, I feel your pain, but Shreveport to Louisville? Not exactly the hubs where you're going to find discounted prices. I bought a ticket from Vegas to Miami a week ago for travel tomorrow for 214 all-in. Pretty sure more traffic=more routes=lower fares.

Like I said, though, feel your pain... and it's deplorable that they're ripping off anyone in the armed services.

Mase
potlimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by potlimit View Post
Hmmm, I feel your pain, but Shreveport to Louisville? Not exactly the hubs where you're going to find discounted prices. I bought a ticket from Vegas to Miami a week ago for travel tomorrow for 214 all-in. Pretty sure more traffic=more routes=lower fares.

Like I said, though, feel your pain... and it's deplorable that they're ripping off anyone in the armed services.

Mase
I also tried every viable option near me. Dallas...only several dollars cheaper. Alexandria....same price. Kinda screwed I guess.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner View Post
Ok so you hear all over the news about how great of a bargain plane tickets are in this economy..BS. I have to fly to Louisville, KY from Shreveport, LA with my wife to be in the wedding party of my good buddy. After hearing all of these reports I am thinking of for two people leaving on a Thur (11 Jun) and coming back on a Sun (14 Jun) we should be able to find pretty good deals. WRONG. The best I can find is well over $300 per person once you add in all the ridiculous fees they charge you.

So I decide to go a different route. Maybe there are some military discounts out there floating around. So I try a few "military travel" sites...what a joke! These people are simply ripping of the men and women of our military. The prices were 30% higher in most cases.

Unfortunately driving is out of the question in this case so I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and spend $650 on a few days in KY. I guess my buddy better be happy I am willing to do what I can to attend. Thanks for listening everyone as the only purpose of this thread was to vent so in closing...**** the Airlines!

I agree **** the Airlines!!!

I only fly because I have too for work. Otherwise I would go by car or not go at all. An Airlines I won't mention (U****d) totally screwed up my last international flight after charging me top dollar. Not happy!!!

Chris.....
Old 04-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Galaxie_xl

I'm not sure what military travel sites you were trying but military tickets usually are more expensive. A military ticket is a guaranteed seat no matter what. You cannot be bumped. It is also transferable, easily modified, and refundable without penalty or stipulation. You have to be careful with some of the military deals; not always the cheapest. There are some advantages to military tickets as you can see. Just keep an eye on the prices for your travel days.

You are looking a little far out for discount tickets to show up. Airlines start to get nervous a week or two out and will start dropping the prices so that they don't end up with empty seat miles. Also try the airline direct. I found my cheapest option for my recent travel directly from American not TravelOrbilocity. Hope it helps!

Rich
Old 04-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Sorry about your luck, we are hearing the same story for people trying to fly to our upcoming wedding as well and we have a huge airport for people to fly into (LAX).

Try http://www.Kayak.com maybe, they search everyone except Southwest I believe all at the same time. I am pretty sure that Southwest does fly out of Louisville as well, perhaps that is an option.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie_xl View Post
I'm not sure what military travel sites you were trying but military tickets usually are more expensive. A military ticket is a guaranteed seat no matter what. You cannot be bumped. It is also transferable, easily modified, and refundable without penalty or stipulation. You have to be careful with some of the military deals; not always the cheapest. There are some advantages to military tickets as you can see. Just keep an eye on the prices for your travel days.

You are looking a little far out for discount tickets to show up. Airlines start to get nervous a week or two out and will start dropping the prices so that they don't end up with empty seat miles. Also try the airline direct. I found my cheapest option for my recent travel directly from American not TravelOrbilocity. Hope it helps!

Rich
Rich, I understand what you are saying but I have not been inquiring about military flights, but military discounts, or military personnel rates. If I were flying to go on temporary duty, as I do often, I would expect my unit to pay more, as it would be flexible. I am referring to sites claiming to cater to military members wanting to travel off duty. These are the sites I am referring to that are ripping off military personnel. I understand what you are saying though, and that is an important distinction to make!
Old 04-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

I dunno bro...maybe it's the team of year you want to go that is the reason for the price jump? I'm going to SF next month RT for about $320 and I just got back from the UK RT for $530...
Old 04-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
I dunno bro...maybe it's the team of year you want to go that is the reason for the price jump? I'm going to SF next month RT for about $320 and I just got back from the UK RT for $530...
Dang it! Where are these deals! I have looked everywhere. I guess my departure and destination are the problems!