Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
broncobiker

Default Help Guys

My box got too moist and there was moisture on the plastic wrappers, the cigars seem a bit soft, do I pull them out of the wrappers and let them sit? Box is hovering around 78% and rooms at 65%
Old 09-27-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Help Guys

I would remove the cellophane and let them sit at the ambient room RH for a few days - assuming it doesn't go up or drop by more than 5-10%
Old 09-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
broncobiker

Im paranoid haha they arent high class but its still a good 140$ worth of Taback Especials (Fav) its dorm room with windows closed so it stays fairly dry. I didnt expect the box to take humidity so well.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Nickerson

Wow the humidity in your humidor was at 78%? Yikes. Leave that thing open and let it air out.

I usually remove the cigars from cellophane as it helps them age better, but from now on I'm leaving them on. It prevent damage to cigar when moving or transporting, if the cigar has beetles it would keep the isolated, and most importantly it keeps the cigars flavors from mixing with others.

It seems if they all age together without cellophane they can begin to all taste like each other.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickerson View Post
Wow the humidity in your humidor was at 78%? Yikes. Leave that thing open and let it air out.

I usually remove the cigars from cellophane as it helps them age better, but from now on I'm leaving them on. It prevent damage to cigar when moving or transporting, if the cigar has beetles it would keep the isolated, and most importantly it keeps the cigars flavors from mixing with others.

It seems if they all age together without cellophane they can begin to all taste like each other.
78% is indeed way too high.
Beetles can and will work their way thru cellophane.
Flavors marrying takes many years at a minimum. Some say decades. (Infused/flavored cigars excepted.)
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickerson View Post

It seems if they all age together without cellophane they can begin to all taste like each other
I believe you are mistaken. Cellophane is a bio product made from plants.
1) There is no evidence that cigars age better or worse with cello, it is a personal preference.
2) Cellophane will limit damage when moving cigars around in a humidor or otherwise.
3) Since cellophane is plant based it is consumed by beetles just as readily as tobacco or paper.
4) Cellophane is permeable so it will allow flavored cigars to affect non flavored cigars. The only way to prevent this is to keep flavored cigars in a separate humidor.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
broncobiker

Im fighting so hard to keep these things drier. Its crazy humid here now. I mean humid. The box is hovering around 75 I threw salt and sponges in there to try and dry it a bit. The sticks are sitting in another box above salt. Its sooo humid. Its been fine all week up to yesterday really, the RH in the air was 65-72 Im just so scared im going to lose all of these.

Last edited by broncobiker; 09-28-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
Brad

If you are really paranoid, put them in a tupperware container and put them in the fridge. The cold will suck out all the humidity.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
broncobiker

I threw them in. The salt in the box clumped up hardcore so Im assuming its just a lost cause. Ill let them be in there untl the box is under control and the humidty levels off.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
broncobiker

I wishhhhh I thought of that sooner it dropped it to 65!
Old 09-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #11
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

High humidity can lead to mold formation but in no way will ruin your cigars. Take your time in reducing your Rh. It may read 65 now, but they still may be higher inside(binder/filler) Take your time and everything will be fine.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #12
broncobiker

Theyre in the fridge now bringing it down. The box too, I need to lower that, thats all I have for storage is the box, its a makeshift hmidor
Old 09-28-2010, 08:49 PM   #13
gijoey959

I solved the makeshift humidor problem with the coolerdor. I didn't even have to buy a cooler, the neighbors were moving and put it on the curb, I swooped in, washed it out with hot water and bleach, got a few empty boxes from my B&M, a jar of humidity crystals and a walmart humidity gauge, it cost me about $20 total

It stays at 65% all the time and its at 65-75 degrees f at all times since its insulated tighten up the seal with duct tape though, works wonders
Old 09-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #14
broncobiker

Im just using a cigar box right now, but I have a humidity guage and I can use a moist sponge instead of crystals. I just piced a real humid weekend to start and it kinda messed the whole system up not to mention the glass inside the box knocked over so instead of sitting it inside I soaked the wood for 24 hours
Old 09-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #15
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like you might want to invest in a cooler or tub that you can control a little better. hope you can work it out and enjoy your sticks
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #16
x man
Opus lover since 1995

First Name: X
Trading: (24)
Montecristo
x man will become famous soon enough

U need a cigar geek to make a housecall
and see u thru this, it really isnt too bad.
Air the box out, the cigars will be fine after they stabilize
at 66 or so for a week or 2, depending how long
they were at the higher rh.
x man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #17
broncobiker

They were only up for probably 40 hours