Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 05-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
kzm007

Default Save Joss Whedon's "Dollhouse" from cancelation!

The name of the campaign is "Don't Send 'Dollhouse' To The Attic!" and the premise is simple. Fans of the show are asked to send a letter, a doll, or (preferred) both to:

Attn: FOX BROADCASTING
Don't Send Dollhouse to the Attic!
FOX Broadcasting Co.
P.O. Box 900
Beverly Hills, CA 90213

and state why you want to see "Dollhouse" on the air for another season. The dolls can be any kind you might think of - from baby dolls to action figures, Army men to paper dolls. Just something to make Fox prick up their ears and listen to us.

The show itself is a pretty good sci-fi sort of affair. "Eliza Dushku plays a young woman called Echo, a member of a group of people known as "Actives" or "Dolls". The Dolls are people whose personalities and existence in the outside world have been wiped clean so they can be imprinted with any number of new personas - including memory, muscle memory, skills, and language - for different assignments (referred to as engagements). The new persona is an amalgam of several real people, and the end result necessarily incorporates both strengths and flaws from the template personalities. The Actives are then hired out for particular jobs, which can be anything from crimes to fantasies to the occasional good deed. On engagements, Actives are monitored internally (and remotely) by Handlers. In between engagements they are mind-wiped into a child-like state and live in a futuristic dormitory/laboratory, a hidden facility nicknamed "The Dollhouse".

The Dollhouse is located somewhere in Los Angeles and is a subsidiary of a mysterious research group known as the Rossum Corporation.
The story follows Echo, who begins, in her mind-wiped state, to become self-aware.

The show also focuses on the employees of the mysterious "Dollhouse" and two other "Dolls", Sierra and Victor (played by Dichen Lachman and Enver Gjokaj), who are friendly with Echo. The names of Actives are simply letters in the phonetic alphabet. Although the Actives are ostensibly volunteers who work for a period of five years, the operation is highly illegal and under constant threat on one end from Paul Ballard (Tahmoh Penikett), a determined federal agent who has heard a rumor about the Dolls, and a rogue Active, "Alpha", on the other." (Wikipedia)

If you're interested in watching, episodes can be found online (Google) for the ones you've missed. And for people who are already in the know, please be sure to send this note along the Net to as many others as you can find. Let Fox Broadcasting know that its viewers want decent programming for a change, and tell them not to cut this show from the schedule before it can even get started.

Thanks - Kegan Mahon
Old 05-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Save Joss Whedon's "Dollhouse" from cancelatio

Joss has had a rough time with shows flirting with cancellation. Firefly should still be going on.
blugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
Drazzil
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (31)
RyJ
Drazzil will become famous soon enough

First we have Firefly, then Wonderfalls, now Dollhouse. All of his shows have been cancelled, and all by Fox. I didn't even bother watching this latest show, because as soon as I saw Fox was airing it I knew it would be cancelled.

Edit for: How many shows does Mr. Whedon have to air on Fox to realize that they aren't going to give his shows the time they need to get rolling? Fifty?
Drazzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
huero71
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mark
Trading: (2)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
huero71 is on a distinguished road

I really like that show.

I.B.E.W. Local 47
huero71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugill View Post
Joss has had a rough time with shows flirting with cancellation. Firefly should still be going on.
Loved that show. I never saw them when they aired but watched them online.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
MithShrike

I liked Firefly and Wonder Falls but Dollhouse is unfortunately lackluster.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/2/27/
Old 05-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
kzm007

It had a slow start, but so didn't Buffy from what I've heard. I only just started watching that, too. Ten years too late, but better late than never

DH is picking up though, it just deserves a fair chance. Anything is better than American Idol or Hell's Kitchen though, imo.

At least Fox learned not to ruin Family Guy or The Simpsons.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #8
MithShrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzm007 View Post
At least Fox learned not to ruin Family Guy or The Simpsons.
Have you forgotten that Family Guy was canceled for several years?

As to comparison to other shows on at the time I got a video for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKL_EpnSp8

On a more serious note though, I find reading far more satisfying than most TV shows.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazzil View Post
First we have Firefly, then Wonderfalls, now Dollhouse. All of his shows have been cancelled, and all by Fox. I didn't even bother watching this latest show, because as soon as I saw Fox was airing it I knew it would be cancelled.

Edit for: How many shows does Mr. Whedon have to air on Fox to realize that they aren't going to give his shows the time they need to get rolling? Fifty?
Tim Minear, who also worked on Angel, was involved in Wonderfalls, but that was not a Joss show.

I think the reason Dollhouse went to FOX initially was because of Eliza Dushku, who had a contract in place with them for a show. IMO, she is the weakest part of Dollhouse - the rest of the cast are incredible, but she and Joss hatched the idea, so it went to FOX, good or bad.

The season finale aired on Friday, and was a bit anti-climatic. Could definitely tell it was penned by Minear and not Whedon. I would certainly like to see the show next season - lot of things set up well for a continuing story, with Echo choosing to go back and Ballard choosing to go in the way he did. Who knows what will happen with it though. Network TV is a tough breeding ground and good shows often don't last.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

'Dollhouse' finale hits new ratings low

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/05/dollh...e-ratings.html
Old 05-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #11
kzm007

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/05/dollh...nd-season.html

Looks like our (my) chances are suddenly better a few other sites are speaking more definitely about a return this fall.

Hope it all pans out well between now and Monday.

Kegan
Old 05-19-2009, 07:33 AM   #12
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

Well it's official. Dollhouse will be around for another season.

Side note:

I hear the DVD version will have the "actual" season 1 final episode. Interesting to see how this ties into the story.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:47 AM   #13
kzm007

Just wanted to wrap-up:

The final episode will air at the beginning of season two, as well as being on the DVD.

That video was hilarious, thank you.

Fox did cancel Family Guy, but DVD sales are what brought it back; Futurama was also canceled, but Comedy Central was smart enough to pick it up, and future episodes are/will be on DVD as mini-movies.

So the universe is saved once more