Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Any veterinarians on board here???

General question about costs for drugs to treating "hot spots" and ear infections...I have 2 goldens and it seems every year their shots are due, one of them has a hot spot that gets a steroid injection and one (or both) have ear infections, so when all is said and done, I'm walking out about $500 lighter for everything for annual shots, steroid, and pills. Does that seem somewhat reasonable to treat 70-80# dogs???

Sure enough, today I see one has a hot spot on his rear hip and I cleaned both of their ears, one of which probably has an ear infection.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
Nabinger16
Drowning Ex Gorilla

First Name: Trent
Trading: (8)
Partagas
Nabinger16 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any veterinarians on board here???

Just out of curiosity... What's a hot spot?
Nabinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
cle_smoker
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Robert
Trading: (1)
RA
cle_smoker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any veterinarians on board here???

I have a chocolate lab who fought an ear infection for over two years. It got so bad at one point that he couldn't shake his head without crying, that broke my heart and was the last straw. We took him to a new vet that went a completely different route than the old one. Her explanation was that he had allergies, which we knew, but there was something that was pushing it over the top to trigger a reaction. We put him on a hypo-allergenic food, cut out all treats, and gave him a higher than normal dose allergy pill along with a different antibiotic to clear up the current infection. After about three months, it had cleared up, no licking, no goopy ears, nada.

Since then we have moved back to regular food but keep the treats to a minimum. He hasn't had a relapse since. He will occasionally lick his paws, but his ears are clean as a whistle.

Now I'm no vet but it sounds like something in his environment is causing it. Maybe a specific type of food, treat, table scraps, something that is triggering the allergic reaction.
cle_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote