Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone Cruise in the Mediterranean?

Fiance and I are discussing options for our honeymoon in late July/early August. One that keeps popping up is doing a cruise. Was looking at one on Holland America, leaving from Venice, hitting Croatia, several Greek Isles, then around the tip of Italy and ending in Barcelona. Figure that will get us some beach time bracketed with plenty of culture.

Just wondering if anyone has cruised in the area, particularly with Holland America.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone Cruise in the Mediterranean?

I can't advise you on cruises, but I can certainly say you're on the right track looking at the Mediterranean around Greece/southern Turkey. Incredible place to be!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
catfish2

A few members of my family went on a cruise threw the Mediterranean. I don’t have the name of the cruise company, but I’ll get it to you as soon as I can. My mother said that the whole trip was fantastic. They boarded the ship in Marseilles (dirty and stuck up). Went to Genoa, Naples, Palermo, and Sicily (all of them were beautiful). After Italy they went to Tunis in N. Africa (dirty, and scary). The final city was Barcelona in Spain (The most beautiful city of them all). Finally back to Marseilles and then back home. They loved the trip and had a lot of fun. The only problem was that the two women had trouble adjusting to the motion from the boat back on land.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
Cigary

The wife and I have cruised the Mediterranean on a 17 night Transatlantic Cruise and we started in Rome and hit quite a few places that you are talking about. We loved it and I think you are in for the cruise of your life. Greece is amazing in that you are seeing some history that is so cool. Great shopping in Turkey. Hopefully, you will take in Santorini Island around the tip of Italy. Venice is really really great and we did alot in Italy as we stopped also in Livorno and went on over to Canne, Cartegena, Barcelona, Gibraltar and Portugal.

We did not use Holland America for this cruise but rather we went on the Golden Princess which was fantastic and got upgraded to a suite.

I have sailed with Holland America a few times and really like this cruiseline. Try to get one of the newer ships as it does make a difference and I like the food on HA better as they tend to serve a more sophisticated meal. Holland America also tends to have older people on there so if that doesn't matter to you ( and it shouldn't as you will be in a different port almost every day and you will need your rest,,,,from the honeymoon and the ports of call,,lol )

Some things to consider for you,,,is this your first cruise?
If you are just going to cruise the Mediterranean be sure to get at least a balcony,,,you won't regret it.
*Get late dining so you won't feel pressed to make it back to the ship early.
*We did some homework and rented scooters in Athens, Barcelona, and Rome and had a blast because we were not limited to having to "tour" with a bus that only went to places on their itinerary. We got to see some amazing out of the way places.
PM me if you have any questions as the wife and I cruise at least twice a year and have been to quite a few places.

Last edited by Cigary; 12-08-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

If we book the cruise we are looking at, it's a brand new ship, first sail is summer 2010. No Turkey in this one, but Venice, Croatia, three stops in Greece, including Santorini, Sicily, Naples, Rome and Florence before heading to Barcelona. I'm pretty excited about it. I was in Italy last spring, hitting Venice, Florence and Rome, and loved it all.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
Cigary

Very cool cruise. As you probably are aware of cruises are a bit higher in the months you chose but it is of course your honeymoon so timing is what it is. Typically, new ships are sometimes hard to deal with because the staffing hasn't been able to " mold into a team " and things tend to get a little delayed or not done to your satisfaction. I haven't found that to be typical with HA though. Is this your first cruise as if it is take those little patches with you. The ships I went on with HA had some great cigar rooms aboard,,,very impressive on the Zuiderdam. The Crows Nest seems to be the lounge where you'd enjoy your cigars on this boat you're on.