Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
SilverFox

Default General Apology and Explanation

Talk about a strange couple of days.

I am going to try to clear the air about my thoughts on bombing people. Or rather more specifically people bombing me. I have long conveyed that I do not like to get bombed and that I would rather it be PIF’d than hit me.
This is only partially true. I have no desire for someone to bomb me purely because I sent something their way. I am not retaliatory in how I send things and I would hope that is never what is felt by the receiver. There is zero expectation other than to take what is received and enjoy it. In some cases I have been hit by those that I have sent stuff too, but I so far have never felt it too be in expectation of the next big bomb or that it lead to an escalation of packages back and forth.

Do I enjoy getting the odd package from a BOTL with a stick or two in it that he might think I would enjoy, absolutely I don’t think any of us would be able to honestly say otherwise. Should I be rewarded because I send out a few packages to people, well I don’t think so. If that is why I am doing it then in fact then I should be ostracized. Do I do it to get praise and recognition? I would like to think I am beyond that but perhaps there is a little part that likes that as well. I don’t bomb for the praise but it is nice to get I won’t say otherwise. But let’s be clear, at least half of the packages I have sent never get reported nor do I expect them too, in fact in some ways I am starting to lean on the side of some of the FOG’s maybe I should just send and forget, but I digress.

I think that perhaps some of the actions of yesterday might have got clouded and that fault falls squarely on my shoulders. I overreacted to something that I should have just been able to ignore. I also included something in with it that truly didn’t belong there. I am speaking of the “Fox Hunt” lumping it in with my anger towards the other post was wrong and put some unnecessary heat on those that where partaking in it. Do I want to be mass bombed……..no. Would I like those same guys to PIF it to someone else sure. Am I honored that they would consider me worthy you bet I am. I am saddened that I have caused so much angst amongst this great community of ours I am not great at accepting things, it embarrasses me, I do not think I am deserving of that kind of attention, don’t mistake it for humility that would imply that I am not self serving in my motives and that is not the case. For I should just be accepting of how things are and not try to force my will on the world, I guess by that I mean it isn’t for me to choose if people wish to send me something or not after all I certainly never follow that credo when sending packages. If I think that I would like to send something I don’t even remotely consider if the receiving person wishes to get it or not, I just go about getting their information and fire a package into the mail. Assuming that I can therefore insist on the other side that it doesn’t happen is therefore hypocritical.

This has then set brother against brother on what is my feelings and intentions around getting bombed. My hypocrisy is the very root of this angst, I set one set of rules for myself yet expect the rest of the community to follow another.

I would like to apologize to you all. Those that came to my defense, those that rose against. There is no defense for causing others any anguish. More specifically I would like to apologize to Al, he is and can be abrasive and opinionated, he has often told me that I cannot continue to send packages to others and expect to be exempt from the return, he has highlighted my hypocrisy and held me accountable for it, yet I laughed it off. He took a fair bit of flack for the hunt yesterday and today and I think it was misplaced, it is and should be my responsibility.

I hoped to word this such that it does not come the subject of much debate, I toyed with the idea of having the mods close it after I posted it, but that again is a hypocritical position. I hope this sheds some understanding, if I have wrongly said something or insulted someone or something isn’t clear please PM me give me a chance to right the wrong rather than causing another furious debate.

Thank you

Old 02-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of
Default Re: General Apology and Explanation

Very nice reflective thought!!!

It is not always easy to see ourselves!!!

Good for you Fox!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

There is a reason you are one of the few with two smoke rings.....
Old 02-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Shawn... you are a stand-up guy. I hope your transparency here will ease some of the angst that has sprung up around this incident.

Gotta say... I was surprised by the ferocity of the debate surrounding so many ancillary components of this saga. You have done all you can to put it to rest.

Blessings on you and this fine community.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Nicely done Shawn. You're a fine individual!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

no apology needed Shawn IMHO but it shows exactly why I am proud to call you a friend.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
karmaz00
Habanos

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Partagas
karmaz00 is on a distinguished road

agree
Old 02-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
no apology needed Shawn IMHO but it shows exactly why I am proud to call you a friend.
exactly.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
CigarDood
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (9)
CigarDood is on a distinguished road

This is the internet. Everyone just needs to mellow out :-)
Old 02-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

My hats off to you, sir, for this post. I hope it defuses the anxiety that's been rippling through the Asylum, but even it doesn't, your actions here speak volumes about your character. It reinforces what I already knew to be true about you, and it's why I was "in" for the Fox Hunt in the first place. We would be a lesser community without you, Shawn. I'm glad you're here.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Well I don't know you that well Shawn, but so many of the friends I have here think very highly of you. I know it probably wasn't easy to be that self reflective, but I admire you that much more for having done so.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #12
mrreindeer

Excellent post Shawn!

God bless.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #13
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

You had me at "Talk about strange."

Old 02-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #14
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
My hats off to you, sir, for this post. I hope it defuses the anxiety that's been rippling through the Asylum, but even it doesn't, your actions here speak volumes about your character. It reinforces what I already knew to be true about you, and it's why I was "in" for the Fox Hunt in the first place. We would be a lesser community without you, Shawn. I'm glad you're here.
Ditto.

Well said Shawn.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #15
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Well put Shawn

And for those that think this is just the internet I disagree. I don't want to start a debate but I feel this must be said. We are all a big family and disagreements happen, hell me and my real family fight a good bit. That doesn't mean we don't love each other.

Yesterday I drove over 460 miles (round trip) in one day just to sit down and smoke cigars with some guys I met on the internet. Silly? Maybe but I don't think so. I've met some of my best friends here and at CS and hope to meet many more. My point in saying that is that is we are more than just screen names, there is a good chance we may meet in person one day and I feel we should all show the same respect you would if we were face to face.

Shawn, Al and Wayne are all stand up guys and I personally am gonna consider this water under the bridge.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #16
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

Good post bro, glad you posted it. There will always be differences of opinion and disagreements between people, that's a given. Its how we react and deal with said situations that make us who we are, and that make CA what it is.

At the end of the day, whether Newbie or FOG, NC or CC smoker, man or woman... we are all part of the CA family and family sticks together.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #17
JohnnyKay5
Armed Forces Tumbleweed

Trading: (22)
Partagas Army (Active)
JohnnyKay5 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyKay5 has a spectacular aura about

Agreed well said.. now that we have all kissed and made up.. lets fire some some of these sticks together in the good name of brotherhood!

HIGH FIVE!
Old 02-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #18
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Thank you for the heartfelt post, Shawn, I think it gives you and the Asylum some closure on the incident.

Shawn and I have spoken via PM, and I have asked his permission to close this thread. I have seen these threads turn at some point in the direction of the threads that sparked them, as one comment taken one way by a member of either "camp" can lead the thread back into a "debate". I think Shawn has eloquently said what he wanted to say, and that is enough for me.

Shawn agreed with the thought, and with that I will close this thread.
The only thing I will say is for the rest of us to remember what brought us to this community in the first place. It is something wonderful to be cherished, and to constantly strive for.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Closed Thread