Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough
Default Weird Frustration

Ok so I graduated college in May of 2008 and haven't been able to find a job with my degree (history, political science). I applied for lots of stuff and received either no word or a thanks but no thanks we don't have anything available. It seems like all of a sudden I have been getting a wave of possible jobs and I really don't know how to handle it. In the past two weeks I have had the following:

Passed the Border Patrol test and now am starting the process of steps leading toward employment.

Back in October I took a 2 hour online written and multi choice test for the U.S. State Department Foreign Service Brach Special Agent Position. Found out that I passed it and have to go to Boston on June 1st for some tests and interviews.

Got a letter in the mail today saying I was being considered for a park ranger position at Independence Hall in Philadelphia.

I have no idea how to go about making a choice. The first two can take months to go through the process and its not even guaranteed that I would get either position. The third would be a quicker process but I would rather have one of the first two positions. Plus I have a girl friend now and it would suck having to leave her behind. Sorry for the long and pointless post, I just needed to rant.

Anyone have experience with multiple jobs? How did you go about making a choice?
Old 05-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
BMTA

Default Re: Weird Frustration

Weigh position advancements against how far up the ladder you want to go, then consider if you'll be happy living there and will the pay afford you a good standard of living.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

For me it would depend on
1)is one of those jobs is a long time goal?If so,why change now?
2)how soon I want/need to start making money?

It's the old "too many choices" roadblock

(notice I didn't mention the GF )
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
karmaz00
Habanos

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Partagas
karmaz00 is on a distinguished road

i worked a second job last year...but that was to pay for my cigare...dooohhhhh
Old 05-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

I've often found when making choices like this one it helps to keep in mind that the choice is not forever. It could be but it doesn't have to be.

Don't over analyze. Go with your gut and what you think you would enjoy most (from a work/employment standpoint) and don't look back.

And do not factor in the GF. Sounds like she's a recent addition. And you'd kick yourself if you settled because of her and you broke up soon after.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

That's a relief. I thought you might be having a problem with an intermittent p*rn server or something......

I assume you would have to move for any of the jobs? Nothing really says you can't take the first job while you wait for the other two. I imagine they are going to run an extensive investigation on you for the first two and that can take over six months. Learn as much as you can in the interviews and then keep your options open as long as possible. Take the first job if you like it and wait for the other offers. Moving complicates the choices but you can't turn down a job you might like b/c you "may" get a job that you would like better.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
rennD
NinfaManiac

First Name: Carl
Trading: (19)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
rennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura about

Not to pry in your personal business, but are you ok with money for at least 6 more months? If not, then taking that 3rd job and waiting for the other two seems like a great option.

And I agree with the other people here, dont factor the GF in.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

The Independence Hall stuff is really cool...I may be a bit partial to Philly though.

I would say go for the gig you are guaranteed, get some cash in your pocket and something to put on the resume. There is no commitment so if something better comes along you can jump on it.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
Ok so I graduated college in May of 2008 and haven't been able to find a job with my degree (history, political science). I applied for lots of stuff and received either no word or a thanks but no thanks we don't have anything available. It seems like all of a sudden I have been getting a wave of possible jobs and I really don't know how to handle it. In the past two weeks I have had the following:

Passed the Border Patrol test and now am starting the process of steps leading toward employment.

Back in October I took a 2 hour online written and multi choice test for the U.S. State Department Foreign Service Brach Special Agent Position. Found out that I passed it and have to go to Boston on June 1st for some tests and interviews.

Got a letter in the mail today saying I was being considered for a park ranger position at Independence Hall in Philadelphia.

I have no idea how to go about making a choice. The first two can take months to go through the process and its not even guaranteed that I would get either position. The third would be a quicker process but I would rather have one of the first two positions. Plus I have a girl friend now and it would suck having to leave her behind. Sorry for the long and pointless post, I just needed to rant.

Anyone have experience with multiple jobs? How did you go about making a choice?

Which is the job you'd "love" to have? That is serious what it boils down to. If you get a job you dislike, and later have regrets, it may be too late.

I will keep you in my prayers as you consider this.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
sodomanaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post

I'm going to play the "nothing is set in stone yet" card. I would go to the interviews and see what is what. Right now you passed a few exams. Still have to nail the interviews and fight through applicants anyway. Gamble on all three and see what happens. I'm going to guess that things will work itself out to 1 or 2 actual job offers.

Good luck!

*edit* PS: AGAIN, don't turn down any of these leads yet!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #11
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
AAlmeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I've often found when making choices like this one it helps to keep in mind that the choice is not forever. It could be but it doesn't have to be.

Don't over analyze. Go with your gut and what you think you would enjoy most (from a work/employment standpoint) and don't look back.

And do not factor in the GF. Sounds like she's a recent addition. And you'd kick yourself if you settled because of her and you broke up soon after.

I went through something similar a year and a half ago and pretty much followed Peter's advice (only thing I would add is to take a good look at which path will best suit both your short and long term goals).

It's been a ride that I NEVER would have predicted, but after some ups and downs, things have worked out great and I'm very pleased with the position I'm now in.

Funny thing is, it all started with me putting my resume on Monster on a lark.
AAlmeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

It is good that you are now having too many choices. List out all the positives and negatives even if it is something small and see how things pan out for you in your long term goals. Good luck with everything.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #13
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Frankly, with the current admin, I'd be very hesitant to work the border or State Dept. My since you asked......
Old 05-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
It is good that you are now having too many choices. List out all the positives and negatives even if it is something small and see how things pan out for you in your long term goals. Good luck with everything.
Sometimes something as simple as writing out all the pros/cons you can think of can help you spot a trend and clear your thoughts. It's worked for me in the past when I've faced a difficult decision.

Good luck!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #15
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

thanks for the great advice everyone. To answer some of the questions:

Yes the girlfriend is a recent addition only two months of actually being a couple

My ideal job would be the US Department of State but I realize that is probably the long shot job.

I am considering the Philadelphia job and you guys are right, I can always leave it.