Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
miamicigarco
Miami Cigar & Company

First Name: Barry
Trading: (0)
RA
miamicigarco is on a distinguished road
Default Wounded Warriors Refuses Donation

Just got an email from Finck Cigar Company in San Antonio Texas, who runs a yearly event. The event raises money for charity, and they were informed this year that Wounded Warriors would not accept the donation due to them being a tobacco company.

I tweeted about it, and some other cigar shops chimed in that they too had their donations refused due to the tobacco company.

Ladies & Gentlemen, we have supported the military for years and many servicemen and women enjoy a fine cigar. For a donation to be refused because of the ties to Tobacco is sickening.

Last edited by miamicigarco; 02-27-2012 at 10:04 AM.
miamicigarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wounded Warriors Refuses Donation

That is crazy
Old 02-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

What a crock of B.S.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

To assume that someone, or an orginization must accept a donation is telling of your own position. It is their right to operate as they see fit just as it is our right to donate to those we choose to do so. The virtue of our donations does not abide us a position or greatness that entitles us to assume we are more virtous.

If you believe in the mission of the charity, why not simply donate it anonymously? For your donation is not because of an interest to your own agenda, or is it?
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
To assume that someone, or an orginization must accept a donation is telling of your own position. It is their right to operate as they see fit just as it is our right to donate to those we choose to do so. The virtue of our donations does not abide us a position or greatness that entitles us to assume we are more virtous.
No, but it seems that donations that go to benefit the troops should be accepted regardless if from a Tobacco Co. I understand that they may not want to be portrayed as supporting tobacco usage but c'mon, not like they are accepting donations from the "People in support of clubbing baby seals!!"
Old 02-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
fencefixer will become famous soon enoughfencefixer will become famous soon enough

It's politics, guys. That's all it is, politics. Nothing you can do.
fencefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
miamicigarco
Miami Cigar & Company

First Name: Barry
Trading: (0)
RA
miamicigarco is on a distinguished road

Quote:

If you believe in the mission of the charity, why not simply donate it anonymously? For your donation is not because of an interest to your own agenda, or is it?
Kysid,

The purpose of the event has been to raise money for the charity. The event has been going on for a few years now. When they called up up Wounded Warriors to co-ordinate as they have done in the past, they were told that wounded warriors would not accept the donation.

To me that doesn't seem like an agenda on the part of the shop.
miamicigarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Another example of "Evil Tobacco" corrupting something good.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

It angers me because they are turning down money needed to help injured troops. Not like it's a donation from Al Queda
Old 02-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:

I also understand that this could be donated anonymously, but it is a company(s) that support a great charity and if they are able to say that they support said charity they would be more apt to get my business, just my .02
Old 02-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencefixer View Post
It's politics, guys. That's all it is, politics. Nothing you can do.
Way to go DC
Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicigarco View Post
Kysid,

The purpose of the event has been to raise money for the charity. The event has been going on for a few years now. When they called up up Wounded Warriors to co-ordinate as they have done in the past, they were told that wounded warriors would not accept the donation.

To me that doesn't seem like an agenda on the part of the shop.

I was being more metaphorical. What I'm saying is donate the money anyway. Just do it outside an official sponsorship, official recognition etc. Either it's about charity or it isn't.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #13
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
...usage but c'mon, not like they are accepting donations from the "People in support of clubbing baby seals!!"
Where do I sign up for that club?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

First Name: Mark
Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Where do I sign up for that club?
If you go out and club a bunch of baby seals, they will notice and recruit you. It takes some effort, but it's worth it.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

I wonder if they will have Room 101 take down the "we support the Wounded Warrior project" on their web page? Evil tobacco.....tasty, but evil.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #16
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans105 View Post
I wonder if they will have Room 101 take down the "we support the Wounded Warrior project" on their web page? Evil tobacco.....tasty, but evil.
They should replace it with a banner that reads that Wounded Warrior refuses their donations and places politics above wounded service members' welfare.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #17
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

Ridiculous. 'Nough said.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #18
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Took me a bit. I'm a little slow. I understand kydsid's point now. if it's truly about charity, then an anonymous donation would be fine. if it is about marketing, then I understand why the company's would be bothered. "Behold, they have their reward."
Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #19
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevans105 View Post
Took me a bit. I'm a little slow. I understand kydsid's point now. if it's truly about charity, then an anonymous donation would be fine. if it is about marketing, then I understand why the company's would be bothered. "Behold, they have their reward."
But that's the point Scott, money gets to the troops, the company can say they donate to so and so organization, I buy from that company because I like the fact they donate....win/win.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM   #20
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I wrote them a damned (and damning) email telling them that I would take this up with the veterans' and fraternal organizations to which I belong. We'll see what happens; I don't expect much.