Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
White97Jimmy
Puff on this

First Name: James
Trading: (1)
RA
White97Jimmy is on a distinguished road
Default Carpeting question

Anyone have any experiences with the major carpeting/flooring companies, like Empire or Home Depot?

Just wondering if it's even worth it to call them to come out and give an estimate or are their advertised "deals" attached with a bunch of fine print and fees?
White97Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Carpeting question

I'm not sure how their prices/quality of carpet compares but I seem with like $99 whole house installation fee (doesn't include removal of old carpet, padding & tack strips)

I'd look into it just for comparison's sake as long as the estimate is free
N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
White97Jimmy
Puff on this

First Name: James
RA
White97Jimmy is on a distinguished road

From everything I read (haven't been able to get to a store, I'm traveling on business at the moment), Home Depot and Lowes both charge for their measuring and consultation (HD is $35, Lowes does not post a price).

Empire says free estimates, so I will probably give them a call.

I didn't want to start calling these places if there are a bunch of people who have had bad experiences or shoddy installation with any of them.

I really want to change the color/type of carpet in just a couple of rooms, and trying to make this happen within a couple of weeks.
White97Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about

They all sub out their installation to local guys...they all do it, even the local carpet stores (same with their hardwood).
N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

I got a whole level of one of my rental houses done this summer. After researching the prices no one could beat Home Depot. The company they used for insulation was very quick and efficient. The $35 fee for measuring goes for the purchase price so its really no lost money unless you choose to not go with them. The $99 installation fee covered everything including transitions and tack strips. They even left the larger pieces for rugs or whatever. I rented a dumpster for the removal of all the old carpet and padding, it was about $300 and I did it myself and had the whole house sans carpet when the installers measured and installed. From the ordering of the measurement to installation was about 4 days.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Both times I have purchased carpets for my home I did look at Home Depot and Lowes - but decided to purchase from a regular carpet store.

Reason(s) - Quality of the carpets, pads and technical knowledge of the sales people.

These two items are more important to me than saving a few bucks on the installation fee. I prefer a carpet and padding that are going to last. Carpets need to be selected based on usage: traffic, pets, kids, etc.

And the store I choose didn't charge to come out and measure.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote